09/23/2023 9:40pm EDT Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics

casimir

1 minute ago, AZTigersfan said:

Tork and Carp both swing at pitches at their chins with the bases loaded. Disgusting. 

At this point, I seriously doubt Tork hits number 30. He’s turning in dreadful ABs (ops around 300 his last 7) and he doesn’t hit many homers at Comerica. 

He’ll end up with 31. 

Just now, chasfh said:

He’s still basically a minor leaguer. That’s gonna happen for a while before he fixes it, if he can. 

Meadows at least getting on base with a good walk rate the last few games, something to be a little optimistic about. At least better than seeing guys going down the tubes late in the season which is what you see with a lot of prospects that flash early, then fade once they are scouted, never to be seen again.

6 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

I thought that we had agreed that Joey Wentz wasn't going to pitch anymore.

If you listen to Hinch you’ll never know the plan. I thought Wentz was going to continue to start and Faedo was headed to the pen. I can’t keep up with his ‘plan.’

Edited by 1776

40 minutes ago, 1776 said:

If you listen to Hinch you’ll never know the plan. I thought Wentz was going to continue to start and Faedo was headed to the pen. I can’t keep up with his ‘plan.’

Wentz kind of did start today.  It's just that they had an opener in front of him.  I don't like openers.  I understand the value of an opener, but it offends my sense of old-time baseball aesthetics.  

Edited by Tiger337

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is a truly terrible offense. We tend not to notice as much as we should because our pitching keeps us in a lot of games that we have no business being in at all so how bad the runs scoring is by league standards isn't so striking.

Hopefully they are collectively just tired having played so much at the MLB level, especially Carp-Tork-Verling,  but it is concerning all the same especially Carpenters power drought. We still have a long ways to go and Greene's frailty has to be assumed when planning this off season.

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Without looking, did we get Steve Foulcault for Horton?  Our return for Lolich was stronger—Rusty Staub had some very productive seasons as a Tiger.

Yes and at his first interview the reporters were kidding him about wearing number 29 and he said yeah they gave me the fat guy's uniform.  So they pressed him a bit more about why he had asked for number 29 and he said no, I'm not kidding, this is actually Lolich's uniform.  That's how cheap Jim Campbell could be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

this is a truly terrible offense. We tend not to notice as much as we should because our pitching keeps us in a lot of games that we have no business being in at all so how bad the runs scoring is by league standards isn't so striking.

Well the Tigers did move up from 30th to 29th in runs scored. Progress?

15 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Yes, it was no fault Foucault.  

Staub was probably part of the reason why they traded Horton.  They couldn't carry two DHs.

I read a little bit on it yesterday.  A combination of too many OF/DH types and Horton's aging legs.

The trade to Texas was a bit awkward on that side as well.  The owner wanted him, but it sounds like the field management didn't.

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I read a little bit on it yesterday.  A combination of too many OF/DH types and Horton's aging legs.

The trade to Texas was a bit awkward on that side as well.  The owner wanted him, but it sounds like the field management didn't.

I think we had Leon Roberts and Danny Meyer coming, too.  

If Al Gore had been born 30 years earlier and had the internet ready by 1975, we probably would have been lamenting that Campbell should have been moving the old ‘68 guys, like Freehan, Stanley and Hiller for prospects.  

5 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I think we had Leon Roberts and Danny Meyer coming, too.  

If Al Gore had been born 30 years earlier and had the internet ready by 1975, we probably would have been lamenting that Campbell should have been moving the old ‘68 guys, like Freehan, Stanley and Hiller for prospects.  

Meyer was one of the names that I saw.