Week Four: Detroit Lions (2-1) @ Green Bay Packers (2-1)

MichiganCardinal

The thing is. It seems obvious with Gibbs. Put him in motion and swing it to him.  Throw a screen pass. Put him in the slot and quick go.  All of these are things the lions don’t do with him.

Once Jaymo gets part of the action?  Jaymo runs the go and then you can hit Gibbs on all of the above.  That’s how I’d like to see the duo used.  Jaymo on the go, from the slot, game changer.

Let them change the game. My biggest frustration with Ben is that he is using Montgomery and Gibbs as they are the same back.  No recognition of their different skill sets.  Ben is using Montgomery perfectly and completely misunderstanding how to use Gibbs.  It’s  odd. 

Even as a staunch Campbell/Johnson supporter I will admit the use of Gibbs or lack there of has been a bit questionable. There seems to be better ways to use him than how they have been. 

All I can say is though that I know TP will disagree but Johnson isn't an idiot, there must be a reason why.

Whether that's just them saving to deploy those plays or if they just dont have full confidence in his receiving skills at this time, after all he has already dropped a few passes this year, maybe he is doing the same in practice, who knows? 

53 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Even as a staunch Campbell/Johnson supporter I will admit the use of Gibbs or lack there of has been a bit questionable. There seems to be better ways to use him than how they have been. 

All I can say is though that I know TP will disagree but Johnson isn't an idiot, there must be a reason why.

Whether that's just them saving to deploy those plays or if they just dont have full confidence in his receiving skills at this time, after all he has already dropped a few passes this year, maybe he is doing the same in practice, who knows? 

They had a play drawn up for him to catch a ball in the flat against Green Bay. Nobody blocking for him at all. He got hammered the second he caught it. Where are the screen passes to a quick and elusive running back? Get him the ball in the open field and watch him go!

9 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

The thing is. It seems obvious with Gibbs. Put him in motion and swing it to him.  Throw a screen pass. Put him in the slot and quick go.  All of these are things the lions don’t do with him.

Once Jaymo gets part of the action?  Jaymo runs the go and then you can hit Gibbs on all of the above.  That’s how I’d like to see the duo used.  Jaymo on the go, from the slot, game changer.

Let them change the game. My biggest frustration with Ben is that he is using Montgomery and Gibbs as they are the same back.  No recognition of their different skill sets.  Ben is using Montgomery perfectly and completely misunderstanding how to use Gibbs.  It’s  odd. 

they threw gibbs a screen against gb and he dropped it.  as a matter of fact, he's dropped multiple passes this year, slipped multiple times, and missed multiple cuts.

he's very talented.  he's also a rookie.  give him time.

montgomery is playing very well right now.  by the end of the year, i expect gibbs will be playing better too and get more chances.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dan Campbell knows how Sean Payton used to use Alvin Kamara when he wa with him in New Orleans. Whatever play designs Payton drew up for Kamara is exactly what we should be doing with Gibbs. As mentioned already, he should be featured in lots of screens and bubble screens, play action where Montgomery is in the backfield and he's lined up out wide, two back sets to confuse the defense, and lots of motion. Just making him a Montgomery like substitution to run draws and dives up the middle isn't utilizing all of his abilities.

42 minutes ago, buddha said:

…he's very talented.  he's also a rookie.  give him time…

We saw the same w/Jaymo. The trend has been to incorporate these rookies slowly by default. LaPorta and Branch the exceptions maybe driven by need as much as talent.

Edited by KnoxP

Kinda on the subject of Gibbs, we hear alot about passing on Carter at 6 but a name that hasnt been brought up as much is Christian Gonzalez.

He's already playing corner at an elite rate and we could've had him at 12 so we still could've gotten LaPorta as well. 

Of course I guess you could say if we took Gonzalez we may not have taken Branch so if that is true then passing on him doesnt look so bad. Boy though if we still wouldve drafted Branch the pairing of him and Gonzalez could help solidy the secondary for years. 

14 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Dan Campbell knows how Sean Payton used to use Alvin Kamara when he wa with him in New Orleans. Whatever play designs Payton drew up for Kamara is exactly what we should be doing with Gibbs. As mentioned already, he should be featured in lots of screens and bubble screens, play action where Montgomery is in the backfield and he's lined up out wide, two back sets to confuse the defense, and lots of motion. Just making him a Montgomery like substitution to run draws and dives up the middle isn't utilizing all of his abilities.

…and that may be what opposing D’s are scheming to defend? Just wondering…and also waiting for him to explode like we haven’t seen yet.

Edited by KnoxP

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Kinda on the subject of Gibbs, we hear alot about passing on Carter at 6 but a name that hasnt been brought up as much is Christian Gonzalez.

He's already playing corner at an elite rate and we could've had him at 12 so we still could've gotten LaPorta as well. 

Of course I guess you could say if we took Gonzalez we may not have taken Branch so if that is true then passing on him doesnt look so bad. Boy though if we still wouldve drafted Branch the pairing of him and Gonzalez could help solidy the secondary for years. 

beware the belicheck effect.  how many guys go to new england, do exceptionally well, and then leave and suck?

dont we remember trey flowers?  jamie collins?  jc jackson just got benched in LA.

i suspect gonzalez is talented, but that he's on a good defense with the best defensive coach in nfl history.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

beware the belicheck effect.  how many guys go to new england, do exceptionally well, and then leave and suck?

dont we remember trey flowers?  jamie collins?  jc jackson just got benched in LA.

i suspect gonzalez is talented, but that he's on a good defense with the best defensive coach in nfl history.

Definetly a possibility. I personally didn't expect anywhere near this from him, many were fine drafting him at 6 and I just wasn't interested in him there, Witherspoon was the only db I wouldve taken there. But after we traded back and picked up the extra capital I would've been fine taking him there.

16 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Part of me wonders if Gonzalez would have been the pick at 18 if the Patriots hadn’t taken him at 17. Which is partially what led to Holmes jumping them for Branch in the second round.

Yeah I was gonna bring that up, iirc if you watch the behind the scenes draft video the room wasnt celebrating as much when the Gonzalez pick was made like they did for other picks.

They seemed happy with Jack but I too wonder if it was more if a 1A and 1B thing with Gonzalez being the A.

Edited by RandyMarsh

11 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

He's doing with Gibbs what Glenn did with Houston, trying to make them a more well rounded player by working on their weaknesses and not playing to their strengths. The sooner they realize that Gibbs is a weapon in space and not a high volume between the tackles runner and that Houston is a pure pass rusher and not a LB that drops in coverage the better off they and the team will be. They'll figure it out with him, just have to be patient.

Edited by NYLion

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I was gonna bring that up, iirc if you watch the behind the scenes draft video the room wasnt celebrating as much when the Gonzalez pick was made like they did for other picks.

They seemed happy with Jack but I too wonder if it was more if a 1A and 1B thing with Gonzalez being the A.

I firmly believe they wanted Witherspoon with the 6th pick and adjusted when the Seahawks took him. I wouldn’t have liked that pick, but I do think it was their plan.

It would make sense that if a next best corner was falling they’d have wanted him at 18.

22 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I firmly believe they wanted Witherspoon with the 6th pick and adjusted when the Seahawks took him. I wouldn’t have liked that pick, but I do think it was their plan.

It would make sense that if a next best corner was falling they’d have wanted him at 18.

I am curious as to what their final reasoning or decision was for passing on Jalen Carter. It seems clear, at least early on, that Carter should have been their pick, not Witherspoon or Gibbs.

36 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I am curious as to what their final reasoning or decision was for passing on Jalen Carter. It seems clear, at least early on, that Carter should have been their pick, not Witherspoon or Gibbs.

I just don’t think they thought he was a cultural or character fit. I don’t think Carter would have been the pick even at 33 or beyond.

9 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I just don’t think they thought he was a cultural or character fit. I don’t think Carter would have been the pick even at 33 or beyond.

i hope not.

if so, that's the same as passing on randy moss to draft terry fair.

37 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

You can’t complain with tha results though. Clearly the guys they’re drafting can perform, for whatever reason they’re drafting them.

jack campbell hasnt.

jahmyr gibbs has shown flashes but hasnt really done much.  

laporta and branch certainly have.

carter has dominated.  better than all of them, at least partially because of the importance of his position as a three tech.  imagine him, mcneill and hutch together.

23 minutes ago, buddha said:

jack campbell hasnt.

jahmyr gibbs has shown flashes but hasnt really done much.  

laporta and branch certainly have.

carter has dominated.  better than all of them, at least partially because of the importance of his position as a three tech.  imagine him, mcneill and hutch together.

It’s been four games. I’m not really evaluating any of them, let alone against each other.

All I’ll say is that I’m not disappointed in any of our first four picks so far.

Im not gonna lie I've been disappointed in Campbell's play thus far, maybe it takes longer for that position to adjust to the NFL cause while not expecting him to dominate right out of the gates I expected him to atleast me solid and thus far from what I have seen and what the data says he hasnt been that good at all. 

Still early though and like I said I don't know if it is unusual for a highly touted rookie linebacker to struggle early but as of now I think it's fair to say he has been disappointing.

Gibbs has had some drops and the production hasn't been big but you can see the skills and what he potentially brings to the table so Im not that worried about him.