Week Four: Detroit Lions (2-1) @ Green Bay Packers (2-1)

MichiganCardinal

LIONSLOGOGDT.png.27bae5e7670dc173fffb4dffc10473d5.png          vs.          logo_gbp_gdt.png.55f555f2ca99eaa5c19659e0f2ad9db9.png

Setting: 09/28/2023 8:15pm on Prime

Site: Lambeau Field in Green Bay, WI

Weather: 68° High, 52° Low, 7% chance of rain, 8mph Wind

Opening Spread: Lions -1.0

All-Time Series Record: Packers lead, 105-75-7

Last Meeting: 01/08/2023, Lions won 20-16

Green Bay Packers (2-1)

Head Coach: Matt LaFleur (5th Season: 49-20)

Projected Starting QB: Jordan Love (4th Season: 2-2)

Last Game: 18-17 W v. New Orleans Saints (2-1)

Looking Ahead to Week #5: Monday Night v. Las Vegas Raiders (1-2)

usatsi_21496009.thumb.jpeg.0ed84eeaa339fa7195fab56c8fe9de91.jpeg

Your Detroit Lions (2-1)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (3rd Season: 14-22-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (8th Season: 56-46-1)

Last Game: 20-6 W v. Atlanta Falcons (2-1)

Looking Ahead to Week #5: Sunday v. Carolina Panthers (0-3)

lions_gbp_gdt1.jpeg.3066443fdcb8405a5e6250e9edd29e75.jpeg

Elsewhere in the NFL

Primetime: Chiefs @ Jets (SNF), Seahawks @ Giants (MNF)

9:30am: Falcons @ Jaguars (London)

1:00pm: Dolphins @ Bills, Vikings @ Panthers, Ravens @ Browns, Steelers @ Texans, Broncos @ Bears, Rams @ Colts, Buccaneers @ Saints, Commanders @ Eagles, Bengals @ Titans

4:05/4:25pm: Raiders @ Chargers, Patriots @ Cowboys, Cardinals @ 49ers

Edited by MichiganCardinal
  • Thanks 1

Through three weeks, I think the Packers are roughly what I expected they would be (maybe a little better), while the Bears and Vikings are worse. The Packers really should be 1-2, the Saints lost that game yesterday more than the Packers won it. The division is absolutely for the Lions' taking.

This is a big game. We can't grab defeat from the jaws of victory like we did against the Vikings early last year. The Packers will be hungry for payback after Week 18 last year. Win this game on the road in Lambeau and you're solidly in the driver's seat moving forward, you'll almost certainly be favored in the remaining five games against the North, and I think the Packers will struggle to catch up as the season goes on.

The Packers are as banged up as the Lions are. Christian Watson and Aaron Jones were both inactive yesterday, so were their starting LT (David Bakhtiari) and LG (Elgton Jenkins). In addition to a starting corner (Jaire Alexander) and two of their safeties. They also lost their RT, a starting linebacker, and a corner yesterday too.

The last time we played a team without their starting tackles we couldn't generate pressure if our lives depended on it. Hopefully this time is different.

26 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Through three weeks, I think the Packers are roughly what I expected they would be (maybe a little better), while the Bears and Vikings are worse. The Packers really should be 1-2, the Saints lost that game yesterday more than the Packers won it. The division is absolutely for the Lions' taking.

This is a big game. We can't grab defeat from the jaws of victory like we did against the Vikings early last year. The Packers will be hungry for payback after Week 18 last year. Win this game on the road in Lambeau and you're solidly in the driver's seat moving forward, you'll almost certainly be favored in the remaining five games against the North, and I think the Packers will struggle to catch up as the season goes on.

sure they probably should have lost to new orleans, but they should have beaten the falcons.  

15 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The Packers are as banged up as the Lions are. Christian Watson and Aaron Jones were both inactive yesterday, so were their starting LT (David Bakhtiari) and LG (Elgton Jenkins). In addition to a starting corner (Jaire Alexander) and two of their safeties. They also lost their RT, a starting linebacker, and a corner yesterday too.

The last time we played a team without their starting tackles we couldn't generate pressure if our lives depended on it. Hopefully this time is different.

i think all those guys are expected back, with the scuttlebutt being they sat out because of the quick turnaround to this game.

but that's scuttlebutt.  never go full scuttlebutt.

38 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Supposedly the defense was hampered by noise against the Seahawks. Supposedly they didn't anticipate that the crowd would be that loud and it made it hard for them to communicate. Yesterday they used more non-verbal communication.

Now, IF that was the problem, then with Seattle... first: bad on the coaches for not understanding how crazy the fan base is and how much they want to cheer for a winner. But second: they obviously fixed the problem against the Falcons.

6 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I don't know if I agree with that.  Now obviously this is a simplistic stat line, but the Falcons have a LOT more yards than the Packers did in that game.

image.png.33ddda7978cc2b0cf790cd1241c4b92d.png

they were up by two touchdowns in the 4th quarter.  they should win that game.

if the packers are healthy, it will be a challenging game.

53 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think all those guys are expected back, with the scuttlebutt being they sat out because of the quick turnaround to this game.

but that's scuttlebutt.  never go full scuttlebutt.

I doubt that they would have sat the starting left side of their offensive line if they could have possibly played. That's asking to get your QB killed. I do think it's likely one or both of Watson or Jones returns for Thursday though. Hopefully we can respond with one or both of Decker and Monty.

2 hours ago, MIguy said:

The only thing keeping Jordan Love from having the worst completion percentage in the league is Zach Wilson.  Lions defense should be able to feast against the Packers, the only way we lose this game is if our offense turns over the ball. 

Damn, I just went and looked it up on ESPN and Love is 32nd in the league right in front of Wilson. I didn't realize Love was that inaccurate and poor of a passer. I'm sure it isn't all on him, but 53.1% is downright dreadful for a starting QB in the NFL. I think fans are haunted by the ghosts of Packers teams past, with them finding Farve out of nowhere and then transitioning right to Aaron Rodgers without missing a beat. If you dive into the stats for Jordan Love, at least thus far, Farve and Rodgers he is not. So we can all collectively pump the breaks a bit that they've gotten the second coming of Farve or Rodgers and won't miss a beat as a franchise.

Love has started only four games in his career. I think it’s probably too early to say either way whether he’s any good.

That said, the Packers FO strategically refusing to get Rodgers any weapons through the years on the basis that he’s Rodgers and doesn’t need weapons probably won’t fare as well with Love. Watson, Doubs, and Musgrave doesn’t frighten me.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Damn, I just went and looked it up on ESPN and Love is 32nd in the league right in front of Wilson. I didn't realize Love was that inaccurate and poor of a passer. I'm sure it isn't all on him, but 53.1% is downright dreadful for a starting QB in the NFL. I think fans are haunted by the ghosts of Packers teams past, with them finding Farve out of nowhere and then transitioning right to Aaron Rodgers without missing a beat. If you dive into the stats for Jordan Love, at least thus far, Farve and Rodgers he is not. So we can all collectively pump the breaks a bit that they've gotten the second coming of Farve or Rodgers and won't miss a beat as a franchise.

Love's QB rating is being propped up by his 7 TD's with only 1 INT.  

The screen pass to Gibbs sounds good on paper and to the layman like me it does seem like a good idea but I just have to tell myself that Campbell and Johnson aren't complete idiots, its not like the thought of a screen pass hasnt crossed their mind so there has to be a reason why it hasn't been called.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the patchwork o line cause for screens to work you need precision and perfect timing between your o line,  rb and QB and maybe Johnson and Campbell just don't have the confidence in the backups to pull that off right. 

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The screen pass to Gibbs sounds good on paper and to the layman like me it does seem like a good idea but I just have to tell myself that Campbell and Johnson aren't complete idiots, its not like the thought of a screen pass hasnt crossed their mind so there has to be a reason why it hasn't been called.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the patchwork o line cause for screens to work you need precision and perfect timing between your o line,  rb and QB and maybe Johnson and Campbell just don't have the confidence in the backups to pull that off right. 

Yes. Wait until Sewell is back home at RT.