Week Four: Detroit Lions (2-1) @ Green Bay Packers (2-1)

MichiganCardinal

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

The screen pass to Gibbs sounds good on paper and to the layman like me it does seem like a good idea but I just have to tell myself that Campbell and Johnson aren't complete idiots, its not like the thought of a screen pass hasnt crossed their mind so there has to be a reason why it hasn't been called.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the patchwork o line cause for screens to work you need precision and perfect timing between your o line,  rb and QB and maybe Johnson and Campbell just don't have the confidence in the backups to pull that off right. 

I just don't remember ever seeing them use the screen. I may be mistaken but it's such a good play with an elusive runner in open space, it seems like it should be an option. I think we run some WR screens?

55 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I just don't remember ever seeing them use the screen. I may be mistaken but it's such a good play with an elusive runner in open space, it seems like it should be an option. I think we run some WR screens?

The attraction of the screen also depends on your reading of the opponent D. Are they in a mode where they are gambling or likely to get caught over pursuing, or are they playing straight-up/stay at home where you just like other plays better?

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The attraction of the screen also depends on your reading of the opponent D. Are they in a mode where they are gambling or likely to get caught over pursuing, or are they playing straight-up/stay at home where you just like other plays better?

Yeah, I agree. I just don't think there's a screen play in the playbook. It's really why I asked, I don't remember the Lions ever using one under Ben Johnson or MCDC.

On 9/25/2023 at 1:13 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Damn, I just went and looked it up on ESPN and Love is 32nd in the league right in front of Wilson. I didn't realize Love was that inaccurate and poor of a passer. I'm sure it isn't all on him, but 53.1% is downright dreadful for a starting QB in the NFL. I think fans are haunted by the ghosts of Packers teams past, with them finding Farve out of nowhere and then transitioning right to Aaron Rodgers without missing a beat. If you dive into the stats for Jordan Love, at least thus far, Farve and Rodgers he is not. So we can all collectively pump the breaks a bit that they've gotten the second coming of Farve or Rodgers and won't miss a beat as a franchise.

In fairness to Love, he's been missing his best weapons most of the season (Jones and Watson) and he does have a 7-1 TD-Int ratio. Not saying that he's a future HoF but I think he's pretty good. This game will be a big challenge especially with the Packers skill guys healthy now although the Lions are getting healthier too thank god.

I think it's way too early to judge if Love is any good in the context of Favre and Rodgers.

At this point though, I don't think Love is the type of QB in his 5th career start who is going to put the team on his back and lead them to victory (like Favre and Rodgers could do), so I think that's what you need to make him try to do. Shut down the run (again), jump to a lead on offense, and force Love to try stretching the field. Pretty similar to what we did with Ridder and the Falcons.

Too bad Kerby can't pickup where he left off.

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Idk why but Love just strikes me as the type of QB that will either go out and look like an MVP or go out and look like he should be a backup.

Probably because he's always going to be compared to Favre and Rodgers. Either he's one of them (an MVP) or he's not and the fans will demand him (and Gutekunst) get driven out of town with torches and pitchforks. Hard to see the in-between playing out where he's David Carr or Ryan Tannehill and the Packers fanbase just gets behind having a mediocre QB.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

In fairness to Love, he's been missing his best weapons most of the season (Jones and Watson) and he does have a 7-1 TD-Int ratio. Not saying that he's a future HoF but I think he's pretty good. This game will be a big challenge especially with the Packers skill guys healthy now although the Lions are getting healthier too thank god.

In the Free Press this morning, they said the Green Bay offense runs the same plays that Atlanta does. Heavy run game to protect their inexperienced QB.

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

In the Free Press this morning, they said the Green Bay offense runs the same plays that Atlanta does. Heavy run game to protect their inexperienced QB.

That sounds about right. Having Buggs in there helped last week to, he kind of slid under the radar with his disruption of the run game.

Edited by Tigeraholic1

Decker is going to give it a go and I’d be really surprised if Jackson doesn’t. Decker-Jackson-Ragnow-Glasgow-Sewell puts the offensive line at practically 100%, even if not the opening week offensive line. Stay healthy tomorrow and have ten days to get right before Carolina.

Compare that to Green Bay, definitely missing two starting offensive linemen and possibly a third, and I’ll take our injury situation.