Week Four: Detroit Lions (2-1) @ Green Bay Packers (2-1)

MichiganCardinal

I can see the biggest discussion this year is going to be Carter and Gibbs which is crazy with the Lions actually being a contender.  I understand the reasons, I am doing it as well.  You can't just compare Carter to Gibbs straight up.  You really have to look at our whole draft.  I guess the easy comparison would be if you would prefer Carter and Swift to Laporta and Gibbs.  I think that is a fare comparison since the Lions wouldn't of traded Swift if they didn't get Gibbs.  I will honestly say yes I would rather have them at this point (only 4 games lol).  Swift just couldn't stay healthy and I'm sorry Carter had some serious character flaws.  Gibbs will be fine.  Its not like he hasn't shown talent or speed.  Almost every time he has some space, he makes plays.  You also don't know the reasons why certain plays are called against certain teams.  the goal is to get a W and not worry about where someone was drafted and get plays for him.  Same will be for Jamo.  If it gets a W and he gets one pass I can care less (or the opposite happens and he has a huge game).  We aren't the Lions of the past and all we care about is how our draft picks look because we are thinking about next season.  We are in the win now mode and actually have a chance to go far.  Look at Holmes full drafts (not one pick) and really I think I would take his over any other GM in the league.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Ill keep saying it but the fears of drafting Carter aren't going to show themselves the first month or two of his rookie season so it's pointless to look at what he does right now in the sense of if it was a mistake passing on him. 

true, he could miss a whole year with injury, be accused of not practicing hard, come back to make a limited impact, then get suspended for gambling.  we wouldnt want anyone with that type of character concern on the lions, now would we.

as much as i lead this conversation about carter, it is waaaaaaaay too early to make any assessments about player impact.

its just a fun conversation for a message board.

the team that really screwed up in passing on carter is the bears.  so let's go back to laughing at them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

true, he could miss a whole year with injury, be accused of not practicing hard, come back to make a limited impact, then get suspended for gambling.  we wouldnt want anyone with that type of character concern on the lions, now would we.

I was always most concerned with the conditioning part when it came to Carter vs. Off the field stuff and I think the conditioning thing is something that may not show up till later in the season.

In college he got away with it cause UGA blew so many opponents out he got to rest alot in the 2nd half, then in college you get that 5 to 6 week break in late November and December.

You obviously don't get that in the NFL so I want to see how he fairs later in the long NFL season. Will he still be a force or will he tire out and take games off? We will have to see.

Edited by RandyMarsh

Philly was a great team to draft him.  Good locker room and a team going for the super bowl.  Lions would of been fine as well.  Hoping the same situation for Jamo. Funny thing is I didn't read anything about Jamo being an issue in Alabama.  Were there drop issues (and route running) with him as well in college? 

On 9/30/2023 at 10:02 AM, MichiganCardinal said:

Part of me wonders if Gonzalez would have been the pick at 18 if the Patriots hadn’t taken him at 17. Which is partially what led to Holmes jumping them for Branch in the second round.

If you watch "Inside the Den", it seemed pretty clear that Gonzalez was their guy at 18. There was a collective groan in the room when the Pats swiped him. I'm sure Campbell will turn out to be a nice player but that could have been a real missed opportunity to shore up a vital position long term.

Speak of CBs, Sutton hasn't gotten much talk but he's been playing like a legit #1 corner the first 4 games. How often do you see #1 in the picture when a receiver makes a catch? I could count the times on one hand it seems, most of the action has been down the middle or on Jacobs side. He's been forming a Sutton Island.

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Im not gonna lie I've been disappointed in Campbell's play thus far, maybe it takes longer for that position to adjust to the NFL cause while not expecting him to dominate right out of the gates I expected him to atleast me solid and thus far from what I have seen and what the data says he hasnt been that good at all. 

Still early though and like I said I don't know if it is unusual for a highly touted rookie linebacker to struggle early but as of now I think it's fair to say he has been disappointing.

Gibbs has had some drops and the production hasn't been big but you can see the skills and what he potentially brings to the table so Im not that worried about him. 

They aren't playing him much because the guys ahead of him have been stellar. Campbell will get more reps eventually but, right now, Anzalone and Barnes are playing too well.

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

They aren't playing him much because the guys ahead of him have been stellar. Campbell will get more reps eventually but, right now, Anzalone and Barnes are playing too well.

Also, maybe it will just take a little while for Campbell to diagnose NFL plays faster and until then he's slower to the ball. I believe it took Barnes 2-3 years before he started diagnosing plays faster...?

On 9/29/2023 at 12:12 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Don't we all agree though that the HB dives and draw plays on second down for a handful of yards, 2-3 per carry, gets predictable and annoying at times? It seems we have this wide open, unpredictable, creative offense 75% of the time. Then 2nd down rolls around and sometimes, but not always, we end up with a humdrum, predictable handoff to a RB for little to no gain. If we can call and predict the next play on 2nd down from our couches, you know opposing DC's and teams are reading it on the field.

I guess my question is how often are you predicting it? Here's list of all the 2nd downs the Lions had against GB:

image.png.46701b30ead2f2faf2af88622a267861.png

Obviously the 4th qtr is very lopsided, but at that point we were really moving into milking the clock as much as possible so I would expect to see a very high number of runs then.  Maybe not 0:6, but still that doesn't seem unusually high given the game situation at the time.

Prior to the 4th quarter we had exactly 7 pass and 7 run plays on second down. I think the "predictability" of 2nd down run play is more a case of remembering when it happened, and especially when it didn't go for very many yards. I think it's a case of: "Oh, second down we're gonna run, oh, sure enough we ran and for only 2 yards... so predictable" but those things when were didn't run or when we did run but it was a pretty successful run get forgotten. The reality is that prior to the 4th quarter (when we were focusing on running and GB knew it) we had only 5 runs on 2nd down for less than 5 yards, and two of those ended up in a TD.

I'm certainly not saying that Johnson is someone we should never question or that he hasn't made mistakes this year. But the narrative that we always run on 2nd down (and that they usually only get 2-3 yards) seems a myth to me, at least in the GB game.

We also have to keep in mind that the Lions are a notoriously aggressive team on 4th downs so our 2nd downs are often essentially like 1st downs depending on where we are on the field. 

Like if we're in the part of the field where 4 down territory is in play and its 2nd and 10, Campbell may have already told Johnson they plan to go for it on 4th down if he gets it inside say 3 yards so in turn Johnson may call back to back run plays to set up the 4th and short scenario. If they manage to catch the defense off guard with one of them and get a big gain then that's just a bonus. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Thanks 1

I admit having a bit of fun with a couple Packer fans Sunday. Group shows up at the info desk at CW, one guy was wearing a Packers cap. I just made some comment about it being a great game Thursday.  Then I said at least they weren't Bears fans.

They were good about it and we had a nice chat. 

14 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

I admit having a bit of fun with a couple Packer fans Sunday.

I don't want to laugh too hard at Packer's fans because what... we've dominated them for two years?  How many decades have they dominated us?? But still I found that Grossi video funny. He's a Packers fan but he's not afraid to make fun of Packer's fans and he seems at least to be very much in touch with fans bases around the league. If you haven't watched if various skit videos you should. The one about Jamo after the gambling was hilarious.