2023-24 Detroit Tigers Offseason Thread

chasfh

I assume nothing will change for practical purposes except if you don't pay for cable/satellite then you will have an option through Prime.  It just bugs me that the local media can't write an article to say such a thing.  That's what people want to know.  They dont care who owns what or who is paying who, they just want to know "Can I watch the Tigers on the same channel I always do?"   Why can't they just say that if it's true and make it easier for readers?  Are they so wrapped up in details they don't see the big picture?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, oblong said:

I assume nothing will change for practical purposes except if you don't pay for cable/satellite then you will have an option through Prime.  It just bugs me that the local media can't write an article to say such a thing.  That's what people want to know.  They dont care who owns what or who is paying who, they just want to know "Can I watch the Tigers on the same channel I always do?"   Why can't they just say that if it's true and make it easier for readers?  Are they so wrapped up in details they don't see the big picture?

I agree. Just tell me how to watch the Tigers and Wings and I'll tune in. Right now, I use the Bally Sports app and it really sucks. I do have Amazon Prime and I like their user interface a bit better. Do I cancel Bally and watch on Prime? Or do I need to keep Bally? The article doesn't make it clear...

2 hours ago, oblong said:

The way the article reads, I am confused. Does the agreement cover streaming rights after the 2024 season or does it start in 2024? If it starts in 2024, I am covered through amazon.If Amazon starts streaming in 2025, then I will need to renews my Bally sports subscription in a couple of weeks. I think my move is to let the bally subscription lapse and see how this shakes out over the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

yes this is what I want to know... if the Tigers we be on channel 663 on my directv or do I have to get some dumb app or what

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

My understanding is Prime takes over local streaming rights, formerly on Bally Plus. I wouldn't be able to stream Tigers games in Florida. It would also not come with normal Prime membership.

The Bally app subscription is $20 a month. Prime better not be more than that. The radio is free with highlights on the local news at 11PM.

I don’t see very many people subscribing to Prime or an add on to watch the Tigers or any other team on there. Not yet at least.  If one of the teams reaches a level like the Lions right now you will see something. But nobody’s going out of their way for now.  Baseball gets the ratings it does because it’s summer and lazy time. You know every night it will be on and it’s there as comfort food when you need it.  Baseball has broad but thin appeal. The fans are very casual. 

20 hours ago, oblong said:

It’s possible that they just don’t know any of this yet. After all the deal has to be approved by the judge and details may have to change to accommodate whatever the judge decides.

This is a decent explainer for now. 

My favorite team's RSN is run by Diamond. Are all my team's games going to be on Amazon Prime now?

Only if you're streaming. Essentially, Amazon Prime would fill the role Diamond originally envisioned for its Bally Sports+ app -- providing local fans who ditch their cable subscriptions with a streaming option. The funding in this deal would allow Diamond to also keep the linear television rights in its portfolio, so fans who stick with cable can maintain their normal viewing habits.

It's important to note, though, that location would still matter. Diamond teams on Amazon Prime will be available only to in-market fans. Out-of-market fans would still be able to watch through the leagues' streaming services, be it MLB.tv, NBA League Pass or, for the NHL, ESPN+. But because those original cable deals would still be in place, blackouts would probably still be an issue.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39333324/diamond-amazon-streaming-mlb-nba-nhl

Sweet may be a surprising piece in the bullpen this year, stay the summer in toledo, or be released before spring training.

But being on 4 teams 40-man roster in 6 months is impressive.  More impressive, he only had two good outings out of ten, managed to pick up a win, AND stay in the show for 47 days. (Enough time to qualify for a pension.) 

Maybe luck is on his side and he will be useful. 

14 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

He had a strong year at Toledo.  As Echoes said, he may end up there again.  

He did have a pretty good season in Toledo.  I suppose it could be argued that he suffered a bit of bad BABIP luck in Detroit.

Maybe I'm being too harsh.  I thought he was nearing 30 years old already, but he won't be 27 until Memorial Day.  Maybe there's still something there.  Looking over some of his batted ball stuff, he is below MLB average on pulling the ball and really beat the ball into the dirt last season.  I don't know.

10 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And Devin Sweet is pretty much hot garbage so I'm not certain what they're even seeing here...

There's a 10+ SO/9 & 4+ SO/BB ratio on his minor league resume.  That's got to be the attraction.  The MLB line is less than 9 innings of work.

28 minutes ago, casimir said:

There's a 10+ SO/9 & 4+ SO/BB ratio on his minor league resume.  That's got to be the attraction.  The MLB line is less than 9 innings of work.

Like Tyler Holton.  I thinks it's probably a scouting thing more than numbers though.