The Gaza War

gehringer_2

This should not be in the gaza war thread but in the gun thread, but nationally we have had advancements in gun control and their protest was not a failure.   

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

This should not be in the gaza war thread but in the gun thread, but nationally we have had advancements in gun control and their protest was not a failure.   

Clearly you don't understand the strategery behind Whatabout. 😏

1 hour ago, pfife said:

March for Our Lives was one of the largest protests that ever happened in America.   

1 hour ago, pfife said:

The March for Our lives protest claims to have had between 1.2m and 2m people across the country protesting against gun violence in the wake of the Parkland school shooting.  

It's quite clearly false to suggest school shootings haven't been protested. 

This was one day event.   Show up, march and leave.  

These protests are a much more involved commitment.  Put your life on hold complete with trespassing and civil disobedience.

It was a complete failure. Gun laws are looser in Florida now than before the protest. The young people went home after the protest and didn't do the hard work of getting the right people elected. Bonus abortion is now banned in Florida too. 

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This was one day event.   Show up, march and leave.  

These protests are a much more involved commitment.  Put your life on hold complete with trespassing and civil disobedience.

You said something that was false and you could just say, "I forgot about that one".   

I'm fine with you cleaning up your false statement however you see fit, it's a you problem, not a me problem. 

• Haha 1

These campus Gaza protests are a weird amalgam of Portlandia and Reds. Columbia’s “Gaza Solidarity Encampment” featured expensive REI tents, body oils for sale, gluten-free bread, a counseling tent, an art corner, and a “People’s Library for Liberated Learning.” Completing the Portlandia vibe, during the siege of Hamilton, a student speaking on behalf of the protesters demanded that those occupying the building be provided with food and water. “I guess it’s a question of what kind of community and what kind of obligation Columbia has to its students. . . . Do you want students to die of dehydration and starvation?”

Imagine an encampment at a conservative Christian college in which students occupy the quad or library to protest their state’s gender-affirming model for trans kids. Suppose the protesters linked arms and forbade entry to students who looked gay. See the problem? Who knows what any person, gay or straight, thinks about gender treatment for minors, but the idea of blocking or singling out anyone for their presumed opinions is outrageous.

University administrators and faculty shouldn’t hesitate for a nanosecond to enforce their rules against these students, up to and including expulsion. Yet hesitate they do.

32 minutes ago, oblong said:

So true. I remember in the beginning of MAGA many folks just shrugged them off and even made excuses for them to justify behavior. It wasn’t until it was to late that they realized they transformed the whole GOP into the MAGA image.

12 minutes ago, pfife said:

I wonder if MAGA is going to continue to use people's preferred pronouns

oh, wait, I'm glad it's not my argument that these folks are MAGA.

Breaking bomber by getting him to hand out his first-ever reactions to you and running up your score is just straight-up gangsta 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1