The Gaza War

gehringer_2

In some cases it's just not worth it for the system to process.  My son was arrested in 2020 during the BLM protests.   A whole bunch of them were zip tied and kept in the LCA parking garage then moved to a precinct.  I was following his movements via find my iphone.  They were just grabbing people and holding them because of a curfew, half his group "got away" and word got to us he was arrested.  I was more worried about where my car was since he took it down there.   He had to do an online arraignment but somewhere along the way all the charges were dropped.  This was also during the pandemic so.... priorities.

1 minute ago, oblong said:

In some cases it's just not worth it for the system to process.  My son was arrested in 2020 during the BLM protests.   A whole bunch of them were zip tied and kept in the LCA parking garage then moved to a precinct.  I was following his movements via find my iphone.  They were just grabbing people and holding them because of a curfew, half his group "got away" and word got to us he was arrested.  I was more worried about where my car was since he took it down there.   He had to do an online arraignment but somewhere along the way all the charges were dropped.  This was also during the pandemic so.... priorities.

It seems like that's happening a lot around these protests too. The AP article said that many of the students' suspensions have been lifted.   Most charges against students at University of Texas were dropped to, I believe the article I read said 57 students had the charges dropped. 

Makes sense, It's much more important when you have a view you care about so passionately, that you only share with like minded individuals and avoid anyone else, especially those that could actually present that view to a larger audience.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

This is dangerous and bull**** stupidity. Free speech and free press are the hallmark of this country and of any, good, free society. These kids look ignorant and frankly dangerous to free speech and press by not allowing any and all press into their encampment. I've been all for the Palestinian cause throughout this process, but seeing things like this, encircling and pushing up against police, bullying of anyone who isn't 100% likeminded, and chants that are clearly not anti-war but anti-Semitic like "from the river to the sea" and chants calling for the destruction of Israel as a state do this movement and people who participate in it no good.

12 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

This is dangerous and bull**** stupidity. Free speech and free press are the hallmark of this country and of any, good, free society. These kids look ignorant and frankly dangerous to free speech and press by not allowing any and all press into their encampment. I've been all for the Palestinian cause throughout this process, but seeing things like this, encircling and pushing up against police, bullying of anyone who isn't 100% likeminded, and chants that are clearly not anti-war but anti-Semitic like "from the river to the sea" and chants calling for the destruction of Israel as a state do this movement and people who participate in it no good.

That's why my position on this has evolved somewhat.  Meaning I see a lot of the protests now as just the bright new shiny object for young people and they really do not understand all the history of this conflict.  They are being used by people with many agendas, including anti semitism.   

Nate Silver is getting roasted now for a tweet last night, I'm all for him getting roasted, but in this case I agree with him.

I'm beginning to lose respect for some protestors on the Palestinian side based on some troubling things I have seen at some of these protests. One of those things is this idea that a State of Israel shouldn't even exist at all. Now, I've been all in favor of Israeli settlements being curtailed or stopped all together. I've been in favor of Palestinians getting swaths of land that was stolen back. I've been in favor of a real, genuine, two-state solution. But one thing I am not in favor of, is Israel just ceasing to exist as a nation state. That's why I do get troubled when I hear chants of "from the river to the sea" from westerners in America.

Just a thought on that note, if you believe Israel stole land from Palestinian people and shouldn't exist as a nation state, shouldn't you yourself then do research as to what indigenous tribe once inhabited the land where your home is now? And shouldn't you return to whatever Euro-Asian country your ancestors came from and winningly give their land back to native and indigenous people whose tribes may have once inhabited that land?

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I heard an interview from a democrat that is running against Wasserman-Schultz in her primary that "from the river to the sea" was first said by some right wing party in Israel, so therefore you 'need to learn your history' before you claim it's used by Palestinians/pro-palestine folks in a disparaging way.  

Can't believe I now have to root for Wasserman-Schultz....this world is so messed up.