The Gaza War

gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I heard an interview from a democrat that is running against Wasserman-Schultz in her primary that "from the river to the sea" was first said by some right wing party in Israel, so therefore you 'need to learn your history' before you claim it's used by Palestinians/pro-palestine folks in a disparaging way.  

Can't believe I now have to root for Wasserman-Schultz....this world is so messed up.

Netanyahu, himself a xenophobic, Islamophobic world leader, has used the phrase. As have members of the Israeli parliamentary. I am frankly troubled by either side using it. Palestine and Israel both have a right to exist as free peoples, living in free nation states. This ideal that Israel should just up and vacate is as ridiculous as Netanyahu's belief that Israel should control the entire region and there should be no Palestinian state.

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

There's really no coincidence these protests are happening in an election year like the George Floyd protests in 2020. It's also not a coincidence that these campus protests intensified 6 months after the Hamas attack when Trump's trial started. 

Add in tik tok ban nearing the finish line, and China's algorithm is stirring it up while they can.

This is why it is important to take a step back and fact check before sharing things in any medium, particularly if it is something supercharged 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, oblong said:

That's why my position on this has evolved somewhat.  Meaning I see a lot of the protests now as just the bright new shiny object for young people and they really do not understand all the history of this conflict.  They are being used by people with many agendas, including anti semitism.   

Nate Silver is getting roasted now for a tweet last night, I'm all for him getting roasted, but in this case I agree with him.

Sounds exactly like my mom and my oldest brother telling me when I was in college that I was a liberal because I read garbage like Mad Magazine and Metro Times.

I remember the anti war protests on my campus. It was mostly people yelling "Bush keeps lying, soldiers keep dying." Some kids laid out on the sidewalks with fake blood like they were dead bodies. They never took over sections of the university, never blocked and harassed kids going to class, never singled out Arabs or any ethnicity, and had the utmost respect for the soldiers who went to Iraq. They wanted to be different than the Vietnam protestors. 

I remember when I was young and after finishing boot camp. My buddy, two days after arriving in Iraq having his hummer destroyed by a IED and blew his legs and balls off. He was 18 and this stayed on his permanent record until he blew his head off on Christmas eve 2012 at his Mom's house.