The Gaza War

gehringer_2

12 hours ago, Hongbit said:

What is going on to make this the flashpoint issue to garner this level of protest on American college campuses?

I understand there are humanitarian concerns but why is this cause the one that has incited the far left?  They are protesting at levels that we didn’t come close to seeing on campus for more pressing issues for liberal Americans.  Where was this support for Ukraine against Putin? Where was this support to defend Roe? Where is this type of protest against guns and school shootings?   I’m boggled at the reason that’s causing American students to pick a known terror organization in Hamas to be the issue they have chosen to hang their hat at this level.  It just doesn’t make much sense.  

Perhaps one reason for the protest is that the US is fully supporting and arming the country killing the civilians—yes, there are a lot of civilians being killed there—whereas in the case of Ukraine the US is actively arming the resistance against the aggressor, so there’s no need for the kids to protest the government’s and university's actions on that one.

I also believe the vast majority of protesters are anti-bombing and anti-supporting the country doing the bombing only, and only a small sliver are actually anti-Semitic or pro-Hamas, and the latter is all anyone in the press wants to report on, because it’s sexy news. Some people might counter that anyone participating in any protest is automatically pro-Hamas. I would strongly disagree with such a counter.

As to why it started spreading all of a sudden last week, I believe that was a reaction to police crackdowns on students at campuses all across the country, especially in Texas, where the governor said in practically so many words that he sent troops not because they’re being violent or anything like that, but because he doesn’t like what side of the issue they’re on and that these protesters belong in jail full stop. 

As for Roe, I seem to remember there were a lot of protests on campus for that one, unless you have info to the contrary? As for guns and school shootings, if US policy had changed and there were a sudden surge in school shootings from almost nothing to being everywhere as a result, I’d think they’d be protesting that en masse. Instead, mass shootings is more of a slow burn issue occurring over decades than an immediate fireball issue occurring across the space of months.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 1776 said:

The following was clipped from a current piece in the Carolina Journal. Russia nor Iran has anything to do with this national fiasco happening on campuses. The very schools dealing with these protests are realizing the fruit of their own labor.

Carolina Journal piece below:

“For years, anti-Israel faculty have indoctrinated students to vilify Israel and dehumanize Jews. This is outright antisemitism. When Hamas attacked Israel in 2021, 110 UNC faculty and 75 Duke faculty signed a letter siding with Hamas. Language has been changed so that the word “terrorism” is now “resistance” and thus justified, as long as Jews are the target.  Students are taught that a country called “Palestine” exists, when it does not; that there is an occupation, where there is none; and more. 

Jewish history is erased and delegitimized. When Jewish leaders and community members repeatedly voiced their concerns to both the University of North Carolina and Duke University, the administrations shrugged. 

Activism has now become part of the curriculum in our state, even in K-12 schools. In the Chapel Hill-Carrboro school district for example, the strategic plan includes social justice action, which is not clearly defined. It’s no surprise then that students coming to campus expect to participate in social action, whatever the cause. Since so many faculty, including the UNC Faculty for Justice in Palestine, push the anti-Israel agenda, students fall in line and advocate for something they don’t understand.  “

Why should I take what Amy Rosenthal has to say about what’s been happening on campuses and in K-12 schools at face value?

LOL imagine Israel being the one who got attacked and being labeled the aggressor and calling a terrorist organization the resistance. Not only that, Hamas continues to fire rockets at Israel and say they will do an October 7th attack again. Then, the US helps Israel with its iron dome that thwarted an attack from Iran that would have killed thousands of people.

Then to bring up Ukraine in which Republicans held up aid for months while Russia was genociding Ukraine and there were no protests against Republicans. 

12 hours ago, Hongbit said:

What is going on to make this the flashpoint issue to garner this level of protest on American college campuses?

I understand there are humanitarian concerns but why is this cause the one that has incited the far left?  They are protesting at levels that we didn’t come close to seeing on campus for more pressing issues for liberal Americans.  Where was this support for Ukraine against Putin? Where was this support to defend Roe? Where is this type of protest against guns and school shootings?   I’m boggled at the reason that’s causing American students to pick a known terror organization in Hamas to be the issue they have chosen to hang their hat at this level.  It just doesn’t make much sense.  

The weather turned warmer, it's the end of the semester, and these are naive, shallow, and spoiled kids who wanted something to do.  It's the protest version of "glamping".

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Perhaps one reason for the protest is that the US is fully supporting and arming the country killing the civilians—yes, there are a lot of civilians being killed there—whereas in the case of Ukraine the US is actively arming the resistance against the aggressor, so there’s no need for the kids to protest the government’s and university's actions on that one.

I also believe the vast majority of protesters are anti-bombing and anti-supporting the country doing the bombing only, and only a small sliver are actually anti-Semitic or pro-Hamas, and the latter is all anyone in the press wants to report on, because it’s sexy news. Some people might counter that anyone participating in any protest is automatically pro-Hamas. I would strongly disagree with such a counter.

As to why it started spreading all of a sudden last week, I believe that was a reaction to police crackdowns on students at campuses all across the country, especially in Texas, where the governor said in practically so many words that he sent troops not because they’re being violent or anything like that, but because he doesn’t like what side of the issue they’re on and that these protesters belong in jail full stop. 

As for Roe, I seem to remember there were a lot of protests on campus for that one, unless you have info to the contrary? As for guns and school shootings, if US policy had changed and there were a sudden surge in school shootings from almost nothing to being everywhere as a result, I’d think they’d be protesting that en masse. Instead, mass shootings is more of a slow burn issue occurring over decades than an immediate fireball issue occurring across the space of months.

The March for Our lives protest claims to have had between 1.2m and 2m people across the country protesting against gun violence in the wake of the Parkland school shooting.  

It's quite clearly false to suggest school shootings haven't been protested. 

For some reason when I see those kids I'm reminded of an anecdote I heard about the people in Texas who want to secede from the US and some old timer asks "If we secede will I still get my social security checks".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

LOL imagine Israel being the one who got attacked and being labeled the aggressor and calling a terrorist organization the resistance. Not only that, Hamas continues to fire rockets at Israel and say they will do an October 7th attack again. Then, the US helps Israel with its iron dome that thwarted an attack from Iran that would have killed thousands of people.

Then to bring up Ukraine in which Republicans held up aid for months while Russia was genociding Ukraine and there were no protests against Republicans. 

Israel is overreaching in Gaza in response to 10/7 no less than America overreached in the Middle East in response to 9/11.

No one is arguing against Israel having a right to defend itself, or the US helping them with iron dome technology to protect their citizens. The debate is over Israel bombing cities to in order to kill tens of thousands of Palestinians indiscriminately and the US providing the weapons for them to do so.

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

excellent maybe now we can talk about the Gaza war in the Gaza war thread. 

Really, the protests that morphed into the over-the-top pro-Hamas/anti-Jew “we’re taking over - bring me a pizza” certainly did not help the actual citizens of Gaza as our corner of the world stopped focusing on them to watch the spectacle. (I am going to assume that there were a portion of the initial protesters who were indeed trying to bring more attention to the deaths in Gaza.)

And, Netanyahu has no actual interest from what I see in actually procuring any hostage release…. he’s shoring up his extreme right wing support in Israel with every bomb he drops.

1 hour ago, pfife said:

The March for Our lives protest claims to have had between 1.2m and 2m people across the country protesting against gun violence in the wake of the Parkland school shooting.  

It's quite clearly false to suggest school shootings haven't been protested. 

Yes, but did students break into a building at Columbia to protest gun violence? We're missing the point obvs

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Israel is overreaching in Gaza in response to 10/7 no less than America overreached in the Middle East in response to 9/11.

No one is arguing against Israel having a right to defend itself, or the US helping them with iron dome technology to protect their citizens. The debate is over Israel bombing cities to in order to kill tens of thousands of Palestinians indiscriminately and the US providing the weapons for them to do so.

How many of these genocidal aggressors offer ceasefires to the people they are bombing and the people genocided refuse the ceasefire? The aggressor was Hamas. They are getting exactly what they wanted. What exactly is Israel supposed to do when the terrorist use people as human shields? The 

Just now, smr-nj said:

Really, the protests that morphed into the over-the-top pro-Hamas/anti-Jew “we’re taking over - bring me a pizza” certainly did not help the actual citizens of Gaza as our corner of the world stopped focusing on them to watch the spectacle. (I am going to assume that there were a portion of the initial protesters who were indeed trying to bring more attention to the deaths in Gaza.)

And, Netanyahu has no actual interest from what I see in actually procuring any hostage release…. he’s shoring up his extreme right wing support in Israel with every bomb he drops.

You control what you focus on.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

The weather turned warmer, it's the end of the semester, and these are naive, shallow, and spoiled kids who wanted something to do.  It's the protest version of "glamping".

Wait—are they domestic terrorists or glamping kids? Man, so hard to keep up ...

Yes, but did students break into a building at Columbia to protest gun violence? We're missing the point obvs

They just marched, yelled, and stayed home while Desantis easily won a second term and made owning a gun in Florida even easier and took away abortion rights. Just think if these protestors actually did something productive like organize. I get it, Charlie Crist looks like he belongs on the Golden Girls, but I'm guessing Florida doesn't have an abortion ban and permitless carry. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They just marched, yelled, and stayed home while Desantis easily won a second term and made owning a gun in Florida even easier and took away abortion rights. Just think if these protestors actually did something productive like organize. I get it, Charlie Crist looks like he belongs on the Golden Girls, but I'm guessing Florida doesn't have an abortion ban and permitless carry. 

Yeah, what about DeSantis and Florida and Charlie Crist and the Golden Girls?

Yeah, what about DeSantis and Florida and Charlie Crist and the Golden Girls?

The protestors should have organized and got Charlie Crist elected. Their protest failed. The gun laws are literally worse in Florida than they were at the time of protest. Organizing and winning elections isn't as fun as a good protest. 

Random thought: If your military adversary hides among the civilian population, maybe the best long term solution for the safety of all future civilian populations is to prove to them it's not going to help them. Of course that depends on your adversary caring at least somewhat about it's own civilians - a premise not necessarily in evidence.