Week Thirteen: Detroit Lions (8-3) @ New Orleans Saints (5-6)

MichiganCardinal

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

FWIW, that fluidity and explosiveness could come. As someone who's not too far removed from teaching his kids to drive I think there's some parallels there. When you're first learning to drive you're learning all the pieces and part and bits and bobs and thinking about all the aspects. This tends to make you drive "stiff." You don't ease to a stop, you brake suddenly. You don't ease into a turn, you turn sharply. You don't fluidly change lanes on the highway, you end up slowing down, whipping your head back and forth, then you jerk over when you make the decision to do so.

Fast forward a couple of years when your much more instinctive as a driver... when you know how your car will respond, when you know where all the controls are without having to think about it. Everything is smoothly, more even and you're a much better, more confident, more accurate driver. This COULD happen with rookie players as well.

4 stages of competence:

1. Unconscious incompetence: unaware of how incompetent you are (never driven a car, no idea what it’s like)

2. Conscious incompetence: aware of how incompetent you are (driving for the first time, no idea what you're doing, clumsy motor skills, nervously thinking about everything)

3. Conscious competence: aware of how competent you are (getting easier, relaxing more, not thinking as much, learning from mistakes, can explain what you're doing)

4. Unconscious competence: unaware of how competent you are (don’t have to think, actions are instinctive, braking/lane changing/turn signals happen automatically as you carry on conversation with passenger)

5th stage that doesn’t get talked about as much: Conscious unconscious competence. You’re aware of how unaware you are of your competence. This is the level that’s typically required to teach. Anyone who’s sat through engineering chalk talks with a presenter talking over everyone’s heads, using terminology no one understands, and so on…  this is someone who can’t get out of their own head and speak for the people who are listening. It’s often unintentional - the content, vocabulary, etc., is second nature to them. They routinely assume others know what they’re talking about, they’ve forgotten what it was like when they themselves first learned. People who have a strong awareness of their own unconscious competence can do things like pass highly technical language through a filter so it comes out in layman’s terms everyone can understand, which is an art form and not as easy as it sounds.

I’ll waive my standard consulting fee for you just this once Red

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Please don't lose this game this weekend. It will be nothing but SOL calls and people abandoning ship on 97.1 all week if they do. I don't want to be that type of fan and I don't want to spend a week listening to people on the edge about this team.

I think a lot of fans forget that this is only 2 1/2 seasons into a complete teardown and rebuild. I forget myself sometimes. I never thought this year was "the year" to begin with, but despite their record many of us probably need to dial back our expectations a little. The turnaround has been quite remarkable, honestly. They're actually ahead of schedule, but still a few players away

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Is 'doubtful' and upgrade for Anzalone? I thought I heard this morning he was 'out' out.

I would think it’s encouraging. There’s only been one player in the NFL this year that’s actually played after getting a doubtful designation, so it’s not encouraging for Sunday, but going from “missing some time”, per Campbell, to doubtful and not out is probably a good sign.

29 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Don't they have three weeks to activate him? Probably no need to rush that as long as Goff and Teddy are healthy.

Correct.  21 days from Tuesday.  He either gets activated to the 53 or shutdown for the season.  I wanted to point out the error though. It stated he was out and didn’t practice.  He did practice today. 

• Like 1