12/18/23 @ 7:30 PM EST Detroit Pistons @ Atlanta Hawks

Tigeraholic1

beat writers already planting the seeds for trades...

miles bridges has come up.  that's how desperate they are.  jerami grant too.  if youre taking on that contract you better be giving up nothing.  of course, troy the negotiating king will surely give up ivey or duren.

Cade Cunningham showing real progress during Pistons’ losing streak

Over his last 10 games, Cunningham is averaging 22 points on 49 percent shooting from the field, seven assists and only three turnovers. He’s got a true shooting percentage of 58. He’s attempting 4.3 free throws per game. Cunningham is converting 73 percent of his shot attempts in the restricted area.

For comparison, through the first 17 games, Cunningham averaged 22 points on just 40 percent shooting from the field, seven assists and 4.8 turnovers. He had a true shooting percentage of 50.1. Cunningham attempted less than four free throws per game. He only converted 49.4 percent (!) of his shots in the restricted area.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Good. Now lets see him do it when the Pistons are in competitive games and the other team is trying.

If they're trying anything it's to blitz him on every pick and roll because they know he and Bogey are all we've got. He's doing what he's doing in the 100th game of his career, coming off a season long injury, with zero help, and constant defensive pressure because they don't have to guard anyone else.

Yeah, this season is bad, this owner is bad, this GM is bad, this coach is bad, and this roster is bad...but a developing All-Star in Cade is one of the few things we have going for us. People act like this dude should just walk in and dominate as if he's in his prime in what amounts to his second season in the worst situation you could put him in.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

If they're trying anything it's to blitz him on every pick and roll because they know he and Bogey are all we've got. He's doing what he's doing in the 100th game of his career, coming off a season long injury, with zero help, and constant defensive pressure because they don't have to guard anyone else.

Yeah, this season is bad, this owner is bad, this GM is bad, this coach is bad, and this roster is bad...but a developing All-Star in Cade is one of the few things we have going for us. People act like this dude should just walk in and dominate as if he's in his prime in what amounts to his second season in the worst situation you could put him in.

There are two ways of looking at it, and until Weaver is gone and the roster turns over (and assuming Cade doesn't bolt) we won't be able to prove it either way: 1) Cade is great but despite that Weaver has assembled such a historically bad roster than even a great player can't lift it above a 0.100% win rate. B) If Cade were as good as his backers claim, the Piston's couldn't be this bad even if you invited 4 other guys off the street to play with him - i.e. every great NBA player lifts his team.

Time will tell.

I am sympathetic to the idea that Weaver has been multiple steps beyond total incompetence, and given the obviousness of that fact, it's beyond depressing that he is still employed because it means the owner is just as lost.

Edited by gehringer_2

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

There are two ways of looking at it, and until Weaver is gone and the roster turns over (and assuming Cade doesn't bolt) we won't be able to prove it either way: 1) Cade is great but despite that Weaver has assembled such a historically bad roster than even a great player can't lift it above a 0.100% win rate. B) If Cade were as good as his backers claim, the Piston's couldn't be this bad even if you invited 4 other guys off the street to play with him - i.e. every great NBA player lifts his team.

Time will tell.

I am sympathetic to the idea that Weaver has been multiple steps beyond total incompetence, and given the obviousness of that fact, it's beyond depressing that he is still employed because it means the owner is just as lost.

I think B is hogwash. I don't think anybody expected Cade to be a LeBron or Luka. Luka-lite is what some billed him as but nobody expected him to be some generational talent that can carry a carcass of a roster to relevancy. Like 95% of the players in the league, Cade needs some help to form a winning team, he needs a robin to run with like Tatum has with Brown or Booker had with CP3 in his early years or SGA has with Williams, Dort, Chet, Banchero with Wagner (who is really underrated) etc.

You know what Cade gets? Hayes who should be nowhere near a starting lineup, a rookie Ausar who can't shoot worth a damn, Stewart who should be nowhere near a starting lineup and Duren who is a putback/lob center at this point in his career and is very green still. He's had Bogey in recent games but he's like the anti-Ausar, good scorer but can't play a lick of defense. I'm sorry but who outside of the very elite players can carry that team to anything more than a few wins. Granted, the 23 game losing streak doesn't look great on Cade as one of the leaders but he's in this fight alone essentially. 

• Thanks 1

I used to have the mentality that it the team is horrendous then their best player may but be as good as the stats show but I learned my lesson there with SGA.

When it was rumored OKC would trade him for Ironically the Cade pick I didn't want the trade cause of that mindset. I thought "how good could he actually be if the team still sucks?" well it turns out he is pretty damn  good and he can be the top dog on a contending team with the right pieces.