Week Eighteen: Minnesota Vikings (7-9) @ Detroit Lions (11-5)

LIONSLOGOGDT.png.ec3d2fb7d6cf46c4af205f7254c7163e.png          vs.          vikingsgdt.png.a69d809cd062a84356ffa7889062f4fc.png

Setting: 01/07/2024 1:00pm EST on FOX

Site: Ford Field in Detroit, MI

Weather: Climate Controlled

Opening Spread: Lions -2.5

All-Time Series Record: Vikings lead, 80-42-2

Last Meeting: 12/24/2023, Lions won 30-24

Minnesota Vikings (7-9)

Head Coach: Kevin O'Connell (2nd Season: 20-13)

Projected Starting QB: Nick Mullens (7th Season: 5-14) or Jaren Hall (1st Season: 1-1)

Last Week: 33-10 L v. Green Bay Packers (8-8)

Playoff Picture: To make the postseason, needs W @ Lions; Bears W @ Packers; Cardinals W v. Seahawks; and either Panthers W v. Buccaneers or Falcons W Saints

vikingsgdt3.jpeg.5668cc7a041b5fa488ce458df5ca9da2.jpeg

Your Detroit Lions (11-5)

Head Coach: Dan Campbell (3rd Season: 23-26-1)

Projected Starting QB: Jared Goff (8th Season: 65-50-1)

Last Week: 20-19 L* @ Dallas Cowboys (11-5)

Playoff Picture: NFC North Champions and will be no worse than the #3 seed. May advance to the #2 seed with W v. Vikings; Commanders W v. Cowboys; and Giants W v. Eagles.

vikingsgdt4.thumb.jpeg.9e0804d963d4128103e8a63cc16911d6.jpeg

Elsewhere in the NFL

Saturday: Steelers @ Ravens (4:30), Texans @ Colts (8:15)

1:00pm: Browns @ Bengals, Jaguars @ Titans, Jets @ Patriots, Falcons @ Saints, Buccaneers @ Panthers

4:25pm: Broncos @ Raiders, Bears @ Packers, Eagles @ Giants, Seahawks @ Cardinals, Chiefs @ Chargers, Rams @ 49ers, Cowboys @ Commanders

8:20pm: Bills @ Dolphins

I don't particularly like the idea of going into the playoffs losing 2 straight games and it would be kinda cool to win 12 games since that hasn't happened since 91 but I guess long term their best hopes of winning a playoff game(s) comes with being as close to healthy as they can be so in that regards it's probably best for them to not play all your key guys for the whole game. 

I'd like to see Hooker get extended action, just to see some semblance of what we might have there but with Teddy coming out and saying it's his last year something tells me that even if we were to rest Goff in this one that Dan will probably give Teddy most if not all of the reps since it could be his last time seeing NFL action. 

I think if the game had absolutely no value, we would rest all starters. As it stands though, only two other games have to swing our way with a win to get that two-seed.

In a vacuum, the Cowboys should beat the Commies and the Eagles should beat the Giants. But the Cowboys are 3-5 on the road, and the Eagles are reeling, having lost four of their last five, and are also on the road. Stranger things have happened.

The Lions are going to play most of the starters, they still have a shot at the 2 seed as much of a longshot as it is. 

What I'm more intrigued about is who their 1st round opponent is going to be. The Rams are playing a Niners team that truly has nothing to play for and the Packers get the Bears at home and while the Bears are vastly improved, that's a winnable game. 

It looks like Rams-Lions is destined to happen, the way the Lions and Rams games unfolded this week and the Niners now having nothing to play for because the Eagles blew a big lead to the Cardinals of all teams at home. Stafford playing his first playoff game in Detroit is destiny. The Football Gods are willing it into existence.

Edited by NYLion

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Goff just played one his worst games as a Lion; I'd prefer he get some real reps before playoffs

I wouldn't call it one of his worst as a Lion. It wasn't one of his best, but Jonah Jackson playing sub-par didn't help, either. Anyway, Goff doesn't need reps, he needs to remain healthy for the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, holygoat said:

I wouldn't call it one of his worst as a Lion. It wasn't one of his best, but Jonah Jackson playing sub-par didn't help, either. Anyway, Goff doesn't need reps, he needs to remain healthy for the playoffs.

I agree. It was an up and down game, but the last drive he orchestrated was really great. I think you can pretty much pick a game at random from 2021 and it would be worse than his game against the Cowboys. I'm not really worried about him, so long as he's healthy.

Not sure what happened to Jackson. Dude is supposed to be fighting for a big boy contract and he was out there looking like Colby Sorsdol.

I don't love the idea of playing the Rams in the wildcard, but it's the playoffs. They aren't supposed to be easy. If the playoff picture ends as expected and the wildcards are the Cowboys, Rams, and Seahawks, there is not an easy out in that field.

Ford Field will be rocking no matter who the opponent is, we just have to hope the offense takes care of the ball and Barnes finishes his tackles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think if the game had absolutely no value, we would rest all starters. As it stands though, only two other games have to swing our way with a win to get that two-seed.

In a vacuum, the Cowboys should beat the Commies and the Eagles should beat the Giants. But the Cowboys are 3-5 on the road, and the Eagles are reeling, having lost four of their last five, and are also on the road. Stranger things have happened.

the cowboys and eagles losing would not surprise me.

1 minute ago, buddha said:

the cowboys and eagles losing would not surprise me.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants beat the Eagles. That Eagles team looks like they peaked in November and their answer to their troubles was promoting Matt Patricia. I'd be pleasantly surprised by the Commanders beating the Cowboys. Cowboys aren't good on the road but the Commies haven't won since November 5th. They are just so so bad.

7 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Giants beat the Eagles. That Eagles team looks like they peaked in November and their answer to their troubles was promoting Matt Patricia. I'd be pleasantly surprised by the Commanders beating the Cowboys. Cowboys aren't good on the road but the Commies haven't won since November 5th. They are just so so bad.

rivalry game on the road.  cowboys should be favored for sure, but its the nfl.  i would give washington a decent shot.

He grew a little frustrated at the end of the conference at all the questions coming in about the play. He said something to the effect of "Rod's got that, I'm past it". Sounds like Rod Wood is working with the NFL league office and he has genuinely moved on and is focused on Minnesota.