Week Eighteen: Minnesota Vikings (7-9) @ Detroit Lions (11-5)

30 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Maybe I’m wrong here but I don’t see the rest of the country caring at all about Stafford vs. Lions.  

I think the first playoff game at Ford Field is a decent storyline in and of itself. They could push the “Stafford’s Return” story through the week on ESPN too.

depends on the other matchups.

whoever dallas plays will get the best ratings no matter when the game is held.  does the nfl want that in prime time?  kc-buffalo would also be a marquee matchup.

other than that, is there another appealing matchup that doesnt involve detroit?

philly-tampa or new orleans?  blah.

miami-indy or houston?

jacksonville against anyone?

i guess miami-pittsburgh would have some juice.  

other than anything involving kc, buffalo, or dallas, i dont see anything more attractive to the networks than detroit-green bay.  eveb detroit-LA has the stafford angle (which i agree with bonghit doesnt have the juice everywhere else that lions fans seem to think it has) and - more importantly - the LA tv market.

I really hope that whenever the Lions game is Dan Orlovsky isn’t doing color.  He’s so terrible.  Talks way too much with ridiculous superlatives.  He just compared George Pickens to Calvin.   He’s worse at this than he was as an NFL QB.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Maybe I’m wrong here but I don’t see the rest of the country caring at all about Stafford vs. Lions.  

Maybe said earlier…not just Stafford there’s a Goff storyline also…both QB.

5 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I really hope that whenever the Lions game is Dan Orlovsky isn’t doing color.  He’s so terrible.  Talks way too much with ridiculous superlatives.  He just compared George Pickens to Calvin.   He’s worse at this than he was as an NFL QB.  

Orlovsky is one of the better commentators when it comes to the NFL. He did a couple Europe games. I enjoyed those.  

I came across this song while picking up breakfast for my son who is driving back to MSU from northern VA today. 

I told him to play it the minute he crossed into Michigan. 

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/x/thenewworld.html

It was typical Reagan era cynicism about the United States and what not.  But the chorus "What about the Motor City?" is actually pretty cool in the context of NFL refereeing screw jobs of the Detroit Lions.  It also is particularly interesting given the state of Michigan roads "this is supposed to be The New World?"

If Michigan football fans can adopt "Mr Brightside" despite all the Boomer fans hating it, Lions football fans could adopt this.

Edited by romad1

34 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I came across this song while picking up breakfast for my son who is driving back to MSU from northern VA today. 

I told him to play it the minute he crossed into Michigan. 

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/x/thenewworld.html

It was typical Reagan era cynicism about the United States and what not.  But the chorus "What about the Motor City?" is actually pretty cool in the context of NFL refereeing screw jobs of the Detroit Lions.  It also is particularly interesting given the state of Michigan roads "this is supposed to be The New World?"

If Michigan football fans can adopt "Mr Brightside" despite all the Boomer fans hating it, Lions football fans could adopt this.

Great song by a great band.  Since they don’t use auto-tune, I doubt that X would resonate with today’s generation.

15 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

I thought  it was "don't forget the Motor City...this was supposed to be the new world"

You are right that's accurate for the chorus.  I was thinking of the first time they mention Motor City.  Glitch by me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

You are right that's accurate for the chorus.  I was thinking of the first time they mention Motor City.  Glitch by me.

edit: upon relistening... I'm still wrong.  Ears...i'm old.

Swift's problems were not so much the time he miss as he would only miss a few games a year which isn't that out of line for running backs in this day and age but more so just how dinged up he would get and how bad his performance would in turn suffer.

Like some guys may have a minor injury they play through and it doesn't effect their performance all that much if at all, Swift would get a little injury his performance would crater. He was like 2 different players when he was healthy vs. playing banged up(more so than the regular player is like). 

9 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Swift's problems were not so much the time he miss as he would only miss a few games a year which isn't that out of line for running backs in this day and age but more so just how dinged up he would get and how bad his performance would in turn suffer.

Like some guys may have a minor injury they play through and it doesn't effect their performance all that much if at all, Swift would get a little injury his performance would crater. He was like 2 different players when he was healthy vs. playing banged up(more so than the regular player is like). 

Philly used a RB by committee, didn't they? I saw an early season game where they were rotating 3 running backs and had very good success. That helps keep them all a bit more fresh too.