1/5/24 10PM Detroit Pistons @ Golden State Warriors

Ausar with 8 minutes and a +3 while Livers gets 22 minutes and a -7

Sasser with 6 minutes and a +4 while Hayes gets 16 minutes and a -4  

Livers and Hayes with a combined 5 points.

Somebody try to make sense of this. The Pistons have had a lot of dark eras since the "Going to Work" years but a 3-32 team that isn't interested in developing key young players has to be the worst by a longshot and this coach is a big part of it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

Somebody try to make sense of this. The Pistons have had a lot of dark eras since the "Going to Work" years but a 3-32 team that isn't interested in developing key young players has to be the worst by a longshot and this coach is a big part of it.

livers is useless.  bad on offense and bad on defense.  he's not even an nba player.

and remember the beat writers telling us all last season and all offseason how much livers will make a difference and how great he is?  that comes right from the front office.  these guys believed livers was a difference maker.  they have to be fired.

killian is at least decent on defense and can run the offense.  he's an nba bench player on an average nba team.  but livers is useless.

sasser might one day be a bench scorer.  maybe.  or maybe he develops into jalen brunson?  haha.  dare to dream.

duren is 95% from the line in his last ten or so games?

i still have an outside hope that he develops a mid range game and turns into a poor man's mcdyess.  chris webber went from non-shooter to a decent mid range guy...

again, dare to dream!

i actually think that's more likely than ausar turning into an average shooter.  ausar's shot is broke.  they need a coach who can figure out how to use him because monty aint it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYLion said:

Yep.  This is exactly where I am at.

Look.  If they were contending for something, even a playoff spot, I totally get limiting the rookies.  But like you pointed out with their record.  This is one of the worst teams in the history of the league.  Force feed Ausar and Sasser minutes.

My rule for rookies would be simple.  Play hard you get minutes.  I don't care how many mistakes you make as long as you play hard.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NYLion said:

And it doesn't end there. You didn't even mention Wiseman's play tonight. He just stands in the paint and guards nobody. Wiseman, Hayes, and Livers are not NBA players right now and may never be. Yet this 78M dollar coach can somehow take a bad team and make them a historically bad team.

@buddha said that Hayes is a bench player on an average team - false. A guy who's the worst rotation player on the worst team in NBA history would be lucky to be on any other roster in the league. More likely he'd be playing overseas. And Monty started him for 30 games this season! He might be the only guy on the team who's shot looks more broken than Ausar and he's been in the league 4 years with reports that he "reworked his jumpshot" every offseason. Why does he get minutes? Simply stagger Cade and Ivey so one creator is in the game at all times (which should be happening anyway), and give Sasser more minutes because at least he can space the floor and has potential.

13 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Cade is really taking over.  100-100 with 2 minutes left.  

This seems to be the best thing lately.  It seems like in the few and far opportunities where it’s close in the second half, Cunningham has been taking more one on one drives and/or jumpers.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Yep.  This is exactly where I am at.

Look.  If they were contending for something, even a playoff spot, I totally get limiting the rookies.  But like you pointed out with their record.  This is one of the worst teams in the history of the league.  Force feed Ausar and Sasser minutes.

My rule for rookies would be simple.  Play hard you get minutes.  I don't care how many mistakes you make as long as you play hard.

That's the thing, besides the fact that this is a 3-32 team and the primary objective should be developing potential core young players, it's not like the players ahead of Ausar and Sasser are earning their minutes.

Killian with a big fat 0 on the scoresheet despite playing 17 minutes, Livers is a 3 and D with a 3 that's disappeared and D that isn't that good anyway. These guys have been in the league a while by now, we know what they are at this point so what's the point of wrecking Ausar and Sasser's confidence by benching them for the sake of playing these guys who bring nothing to the table anyway and have no upside to be more than what they are now?

Burks and Bogey I get in a sense because the Pistons are so shooter starved but even with them, they're liabilities when the shots aren't going down and should be limited when they have an off shooting night yet Monty continues to play the hell out of them even when the shots aren't falling. If we're going to have to suffer through a 3-32 season, at least let the young guys play through their mistakes instead of force feeding us old guys and young vets who have no future here. Just a bottomless pit of hopelessness this season mixed in with Gores and Weaver spewing verbal diarrhea when they do speak and to top it off one of the worst drafts that I've ever witnessed in my 3 decades or so of following drafts with literally no prospect that looks like anything more than a good role player as of right now, never seen anything like it. Seriously, who is any good? Ja'Kobe Walter looks interesting, that's about all I got really.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

I am gaining back some of the faith I was losing in Cade.  I still don't think he is a point guard or be our future at the point guard position.  I really want the Pistons to find a point guard who can handle the ball at a high level and shoot well to complement Cade.  But at least he is showing signs why we drafted him #1.

I am losing faith in Ivey.  I think this is more a Monty thing than an Ivey thing but the match does not seem to be working.  Maybe it's a Cade thing as well and they just don't mesh well.  I wouldn't sell low on Ivey because I think his effort has improved and if we trade him, we are likely to regret it later.  But we should at least be shopping him and I would image that is happening behind the scenes.  

I am all in on keeping Duren.  Nobody is untouchable but we have improved a lot since Duren came back from injury, even if it is not showing up in wins and losses.

Edited by Hart

I would trade Duren in a heartbeat and is the guy I would be looking to move the most.  As in, if he makes it to his extension date something went seriously wrong.  

Cant shoot.  Cant defend the perimeter, is not a defensive anchor and plays the least important position on the floor.  Zero offensive skills.  Do not under any circumstances invest $25-$35M a year in a guy like that.  Especially since the playoffs are the ultimate goal and a big like him is most likely to be benched in the playoffs as everyone goes small.

Nice kid, plays hard and seems to hustle.  But I am not spending big money on a C in todays game unless your name is Jokic and possibly Embiid.  Keep a cheap guy on the roster (under $20M) and a rookie.  Invest your money in  positions that matter.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

I would trade Duren in a heartbeat and is the guy I would be looking to move the most.  As in, if he makes it to his extension date something went seriously wrong.  

Cant shoot.  Cant defend the perimeter, is not a defensive anchor and plays the least important position on the floor.  Zero offensive skills.  Do not under any circumstances invest $25-$35M a year in a guy like that.  Especially since the playoffs are the ultimate goal and a big like him is most likely to be benched in the playoffs as everyone goes small.

Nice kid, plays hard and seems to hustle.  But I am not spending big money on a C in todays game unless your name is Jokic and possibly Embiid.  Keep a cheap guy on the roster (under $20M) and a rookie.  Invest your money in  positions that matter.  

If centers really aren't that valuable, then we don't have to worry about somebody else paying him either.  We can't just roll with James Wiseman, Marvin Bagley, Isaiah Stewart types as our center rotation.  Duren is a big step up from those guys.  

You need to be able to shoot but also have the ability to be switchable on defense, atleast come playoff time.  I think Duren has the potential to be the latter to some degree but will likely never amount to much on offense outside of the cleanup and lob threat. He does seem to be a pretty good passer as well for a big man so I will give him that too. 

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

duren shoots better than ausar already and he's one of the youngest players in the league.  he has potential to be a defensive center with midrange.  i'm going to see if he can get there before i give up on him.

not sure why people are slobbering over ausar and claiming isaiah stewart is valuable while looking to get rid of duren at the first possibility.