NFC Divisional Round: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (10-8) @ Detroit Lions (13-5)

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

They're chances were slim but a blocked FG and run back would probably be their only hope. I'm not sure if there would have been too much time on the clock for Goff to just run around on 4th down. 

I thought there would've been like 38 seconds left at the start of 4th down if they called a TO? In that case a Lions miss would've given TB the ball at like the 30 yard line with roughly 30 seconds left. 

If the Lions instead decided to do a pooch punt then potentially 80 or 90 yards with 30 seconds left. The latter is extremely unlikely but the first scenario wouldn't be impossible, I've seen it done many times before. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

I remember when Cincy made the SB a couple years ago the Mayor actually made the following Monday a City Holiday and cancelled schools and everything else. I wonder if Detroit or any surrounding suburbs would do the same if the Lions win next week? I know I'll be putting in for a Personal Day regardless for that day if we end up winning. 

All the years we've posted here clowning on the ownership, the front office, the coaching, the players on the field, the mistakes, the bad draft picks, the getting boned by officiating and doing nothing. Now we get to celebrate this team here and it feels amazing to not be bitching, complaining, laughing, and shaking our heads for once.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Me too, like I said I thought it was a mistake on the graphics part or something cause if they did have a TO it didn't make sense to 1 not use it and for two the Lions to snap it so fast. That makes me thinking the Lions didn't think they had one cause they snapped it with 14 seconds left on the play clock on 2nd down and like 10 or so on 3rd down. 

Making the Lions think you weren’t going to use the final timeout (or that you didn’t have one) would have been brilliant on Boyles’ part (and a big gaffe by the Lions). Difference between 10 seconds left or 30 seconds left. 

4 minutes ago, number20 said:

Yeah no doubt. I'd rather watch it on TV anyway. Santa Clara weather for next Sunday should be sunny and 70ish. I prefer to grill

Ha, if I bring the beer and steaks can I watch it with you instead of paying for a ticket. My flight into SFO arrives at 11am. 

9 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Making the Lions think you weren’t going to use the final timeout (or that you didn’t have one) would have been brilliant on Boyles’ part (and a big gaffe by the Lions). Difference between 10 seconds left or 30 seconds left. 

Looking at some twitter posts about the situation and I guess it's one of those "unwritten rules" or codes that if you don't use the timeout on 1st down that is to tell your opponent that you aren't going to use it so they can just take the next 2 kneel downs quickly instead of milking the entire play clock. Assuming that's true that makes sense why the Lions snapped it so quickly and that Bowles didn't use it at the end. 

You can argue if it would've been worth it but if it is an unwritten code from coaches you probably don't want to be the one to break it......especially against a guy the size of Dan Campbell.lol 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1