NFC Divisional Round: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (10-8) @ Detroit Lions (13-5)

image.thumb.png.de13135e57954b1beb18ef2d6d1d7be1.png

Today, we are exercising all of our Same Old Lions demons and embarrassing moments. I know I am missing many moments here, but today we cast out SOL from this franchise and this team. In its place we have the Brand New Lions. SOL be gone, it is time for BOL!

• Old Man William Clay Ford Sr. buying the team the day Kennedy was assassinated.
  • Bobby Layne being traded.
  • Monte Clark praying the Eddie Murray kick would go in.
  • Passing on drafting future hall of famers Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and Darrell Green to draft a fullback.
  • Having the owner's drinking buddy Russ Thomas as GM for nearly 30 years.
  • Lions Head Coach Daryl Rogers asking "what's a guy have to do to get fired around here."
  • Wayne Fontes that wasn't my cocaine.
  • Sterling Sharpe wide open in the playoff game at the Silverdome.
  • Wayne Fontes worried about scoring too quickly.
  • Germaine Crowell cutting to stay in bounds to run out the clock.
  • Bobby Ross abandoning ship.
  • Lions lose 2000 finale at home to Chicago Bears.
  • The best player in NFL history, Barry Sanders, retiring via a fax.
  • Bill Ford Jr, hiring Matt Millen to run the team.
  • Charles Rogers begging the Lions not to draft him.
  • Marty taking the wind in overtime.
  • Dan Orlovsky runs out of the end zone.
  • Calvin Johnson and the process of the catch.
  • Jim Schwartz throwing the challenge flag when he wasn't allowed to.
  • Stephen Tulloch’s discount double check injury.
  • Matt Flynn gets a big contract because he beats the Lions.
  • The picked up flag in the Dallas playoff game.
  • Aaron Rogers hail mary pass. The batted ball against Seattle. 
  • The 10-second runoff against Atlanta.
  • Calvin Johnson retiring early.
  • The Silverdome failing to implode.
  • Matt Patricia getting blown out in his debut on Monday Night Football by the Jets and their rookie QB.
  • D'Andre Swift dropping a game winning pass against the Bears. 
  • Matt Patricia saying I have one of the all time calls in NFL history after LOSING the Bears game in embarrassing fashion.
Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

This defense seems to get gashed by one receiver but hold the other in check. Godwin was pretty much non-existent. Kupp did nothing. Addison was held in check for the most part. For all the consternation about the defense recently, the held Tampa to 23 points, Rams to 23, Vikings 20, Cowboys 20 and Vikings 24. It's not an elite defense but it's proving to be good enough. 

They had that brutal 1st half against the Ravens this year and a rough game against the Chargers but other than that they've been fine in regards to the points given up category and ultimately that's all that matters. 

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Today, we are exercising all of our Same Old Lions demons and embarrassing moments. I know I am missing many moments here, but today we cast out SOL from this franchise and this team. In its place we have the Brand New Lions. SOL be gone, it is time for BOL!

•  
  • Lions Head Coach Daryl Rogers asking "what's a guy have to do to get fired around here."
  •  

One reporter said once at a Lions practice at the Silverdome Rogers was looking up at the roof and said "Did you know there's 49 birds on the roof right now"?       That never leaves me.   What a disaster.    Drinking buddy of Russ Thomas, allegedly. 

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

They had that brutal 1st half against the Ravens this year and a rough game against the Chargers but other than that they've been fine in regards to the points given up category and ultimately that's all that matters. 

Oh, that's their kryptonite right there.   They must invest in both the secondary and another D-Line man that can get all the way home -  they get so close so many times,  they just need that extra wrecking ball.    In the salary cap era there is always going to be a couple of weaknesses.   

31 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would feel better losing to the 49ers than Packers, but it wouldn't sit well with me losing to someone named Brock.

A team I root for has never lost to a purdy

22 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder how the NFL decides who gets the afternoon game and who gets the night game for the Championship Game? 

I always assumed that they would just put what they thought the better matchup would be last but I'm guessing that isn't the case since they announced the schedule yesterday before any of the teams played today. 

Maybe the respective networks just alternate every year and this was the year Fox so in turn the NFC got the night game?

They switch off

40 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Ha, if I bring the beer and steaks can I watch it with you instead of paying for a ticket. My flight into SFO arrives at 11am. 

Looks like a Motown party in the Bay Area is brewing. 

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Would a Lions SB run move them off the bottom spot in the worst franchise in sports history list where most people have them at now?

Just getting to the Super Bowl certainly would. There are 11 other teams that have never won a Super Bowl, and many of those like the Vikings haven't been to one in decades. In the NHL, the Leafs haven't been to the Stanley Cup Final since 1967. In the NBA, the Atlanta Hawks haven't been to the Finals in 60 years, the Clippers never. Make it to the Super Bowl and only thing left is there championship drought of 66 years.

This Wikipedia page tracks playoff appearance droughts, playoff win droughts, appearance in divisional round (via bye or wild card weekend win) droughts, conference championship game droughts, Super Bowl appearance drought, Super Bowl championship droughts. The Lions have gone from at or the top of the list - in a bad way - in the first four of those to wiping out all but the last two.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_franchise_post-season_droughts

36 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Baltimore is the only truly SCARY team this year.

27 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

It also has to do with location.  Easy call this time since one is on the east coast and the other on the west coast.  basically the games are starting at the same time locally. 

No they switch off. It's set before the year even starts team location doesn't matter. They switch off cause one always bleeds into prime time and the other doesn't. 

Last year, for example, niners and eagles was early. And Bengals and chiefs was late. The year before afc was early. The year before that nfc early.

Edited by KL2

27 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Would a Lions SB run move them off the bottom spot in the worst franchise in sports history list where most people have them at now?

I think so. If they make a Super Bowl that will leave the Browns as the only original AFL or NFL franchise to not have made a Super Bowl. 

Right now I'd say we're tied with the Clippers and Browns for the worst in the major four American sports leagues. Then there are franchises like the Maple Leafs and Sacramento Kings in that next tier of awful. 

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

I don’t mind the Canucks or their fans at all, but like Buddha said, I’m a Wings fan for sure. 

Ok gotcha, I just assumed you were because of your location. Lucky you then, being a Canucks and Lions fan would have been a rough way to live over the last several decades.

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think so. If they make a Super Bowl that will leave the Browns as the only original AFL or NFL franchise to not have made a Super Bowl. 

Right now I'd say we're tied with the Clippers and Browns for the worst in the major four American sports leagues. Then there are franchises like the Maple Leafs and Sacramento Kings in that next tier of awful. 

But the Lions are the last team that existed SINCE the first Super Bowl to never have played in it.     The original Browns got there several times and the new Browns have only existed since 1999. 

53 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

• Old Man William Clay Ford Sr. buying the team the day Kennedy was assassinated.
  • Bobby Layne being traded.
  • Monte Clark praying the Eddie Murray kick would go in.
  • Passing on drafting future hall of famers Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, and Darrell Green to draft a fullback.
  • Having the owner's drinking buddy Russ Thomas as GM for nearly 30 years.
  • Wayne Fontes that wasn't my cocaine.
  • Sterling Sharpe wide open in the playoff game at the Silverdome.
  • Wayne Fontes worried about scoring too quickly.
  • Germaine Crowell cutting to stay in bounds to run out the clock.
  • Bobby Ross abandoning ship.
  • Lions lose 2000 finale at home to Chicago Bears.
  • The best player in NFL history, Barry Sanders, retiring via a fax.
  • Bill Ford Jr, hiring Matt Millen to run the team.
  • Charles Rogers begging the Lions not to draft him.
  • Marty taking the wind in overtime.
  • Dan Orlovsky runs out of the end zone.
  • Calvin Johnson and the process of the catch.
  • Jim Schwartz throwing the challenge flag when he wasn't allowed to.
  • Stephen Tulloch’s discount double check injury.
  • Matt Flynn gets a big contract because he beats the Lions.
  • The picked up flag in the Dallas playoff game.
  • Aaron Rogers hail mary pass. The batted ball against Seattle. 
  • The 10-second runoff against Atlanta.
  • Calvin Johnson retiring early.
  • The Silverdome failing to implode.
  • Matt Patricia getting blown out in his debut on Monday Night Football by the Jets and their rookie QB.
  • D'Andre Swift dropping a game winning pass against the Bears. 
  • Matt Patricia saying I have one of the all time calls in NFL history after LOSING the Bears game in embarrassing fashion.

You forgot:

• Mike Williams instead of DeMarcus Ware
  • Eric Ebron instead of Aaron Donald