Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Over the Cap has Goff's contract details. He has a nearly $70 million cap hit in 2026. They lowered his cap hit in 2024 by $5 million. The Lions already had a lot of cap space. I'm hoping they have some mechanism in place to lower that cap hit in 2026. There doesn't appear to be void years so I think they can add void years. 

What they did though, is give them a bit of an out in 2026 if things would fall apart as even though they would have a dead money hit of over $63 million, it is still less than his cap number and could be spread over 2 years.  It leaves a bit more flexibility in a worst case scenario and they have options to lower the hit if things continue to go well.

The Lions currently have over $30 million in cap space. Teams can roll over unused cap space. There has to be a reason the Lions are keeping so much cap space. I don't believe they have signed Arnold or Rakestraw yet so that will eat into the space a little. 

21 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions currently have over $30 million in cap space. Teams can roll over unused cap space. There has to be a reason the Lions are keeping so much cap space. I don't believe they have signed Arnold or Rakestraw yet so that will eat into the space a little. 

Maybe they are looking to extend Decker for a year as part of it?  

The rolling over definitely makes sense also.  It definitely gives them flexibility.

Just thinking out loud but I wonder too if the Lions and/or other teams know alot more about what the near future holds in terms of the cap going up and they have caught wind that its going to take a big jump in the coming years which is another reason they weren't concerned with having that big number then. 

is Brad really going to go with this group at WR? Reynolds is a loss, not a huge loss, but still a loss. You are asking Jamo to step up and then someone else to step up into his spot. I guess when you include LaPorta and Gibbs, the options are pretty good.

12 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

is Brad really going to go with this group at WR? Reynolds is a loss, not a huge loss, but still a loss. You are asking Jamo to step up and then someone else to step up into his spot. I guess when you include LaPorta and Gibbs, the options are pretty good.

I think Jamo is the replacement for Reynolds and then a committee replacement for Jamo if Antoine Green doesn't take a step up. Jamo felt like more because everyone always noticed when he touched the ball, and it tended to come in big spots, but he only put up 24 receptions for 354 yards and 2 TDs last year. Add an extra half reception and 10 yards per game to LaPorta, Gibbs, and Raymond, and it's surpassed.

38 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

In 2022 Peoples-Jones had 61 catches for 839. Prior he had 34 for 597. He's only 25 and will now have a full training camp to learn the offense and get in sync with Goff. His 2021 and 2022 production is what Reynolds provided. 

I've come around to liking DPJ again...

I mean... I loved the cheap trade for him, and he fits the mold of what the team wants in their WR's...

And he had that nice production in 2021-22, which is what I was looking to...

So I don't know why I wouldn't love him this year. I still love the trade for him...

I think my first choice for filling Reynolds' shoes is DPJ.

Jaymo to me is whatever we get from him will be explosive and a huge bonus.

DPJ to me is the dependable guy that Goff can turn to, in addition to ARSB and LaPorta and... etc. to get 1st downs (especially if those two are getting double coverage... which will happen a lot this season IMO) when we need them. Maybe Green can become this guy also... I just know less about him, and his realistic chances, versus what DPJ has already proven in the NFL.

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 12:22 PM, Sports_Freak said:

He had a long TD pass to Williams in Tampa too, I think. Not sure how many yards it was but it was very exciting...jump outta your seat and scream exciting!!

I think officially it was a 45 yard TD. Goff underthrew it a bit but...close enough!

Edited by Sports_Freak

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Isn't he a bit....uhhh..vertically challenged?

The safety, Ryan Neal, looks worse than Davis on this play. Neal is in the 1x1 with Jamo and never even attempts to locate the ball. Davis drops to cover ASB which is what caused the 1x1 though. Based on this video, it’s possible that the slot corner or a linebacker was supposed to cover ASB, but he would have been wide open if Davis didn’t cover him, so you can’t really blame him. Doubling Jamo deep at the expense of leaving ASB wide open in the intermediate would be outrageously stupid. But I hope Jamo makes teams do it this year!!!

Davis is 6’1, fine height for a corner.

Posted (edited)

There's a lot of time and evaluation opportunities between now and September.   If DPJ isn't  a suitable replacement for Reynolds...they'll have ample opportunity and assets to fix it

Edited by Shinzaki

On 5/16/2024 at 3:06 PM, RandyMarsh said:

Just thinking out loud but I wonder too if the Lions and/or other teams know alot more about what the near future holds in terms of the cap going up and they have caught wind that its going to take a big jump in the coming years which is another reason they weren't concerned with having that big number then. 

That's what it is. Just think about it. Goffs' cap hit right now IA about 20 percent of total cap. In 2027 or whatever when it's 60 the cap will likely be at 310 or higher...still 20 percent.

That's why in a cap league you almost always backload them.

I’m really bullish on Jamo this year and I think the Lions are too. I think he will surpass Reynolds production with ease.

I think I’m more optimistic that Antoine Green will take a step forward in his second year than I am that DPJ will return to 2022 form. I’m not sure either are all that likely, but I also don’t think either is necessary if at least four of ASB, Jamo, Gibbs, Monty, and LaPorta are healthy. If you suffer multiple skill player injuries then depth will become an issue on any team, even Super Bowl contenders.

16 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I’m really bullish on Jamo this year and I think the Lions are too. I think he will surpass Reynolds production with ease.

I think I’m more optimistic that Antoine Green will take a step forward in his second year than I am that DPJ will return to 2022 form. I’m not sure either are all that likely, but I also don’t think either is necessary if at least four of ASB, Jamo, Gibbs, Monty, and LaPorta are healthy. If you suffer multiple skill player injuries then depth will become an issue on any team, even Super Bowl contenders.

Very true and I hope the best for Jamo too. I wouldn't be against Holmes bringing in another receiver though. A veteran on a one year contract type of player. We have the money (I think) and adding depth would be a good thing.