Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, holygoat said:

You know who else had a mediocre RAS score and a slow 40 time? 

I'm being cheeky, of course, and not saying Williams will be the next ASB, but RAS only tells a part of the overall picture. I do think it's kind of ironic that for how much Holmes seems to put into RAS, one of his very best picks was pretty average according to it.

St. Brown had a great RAS score and was a full second faster than Williams. Again though, it would be gold if this kid works out. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Posted (edited)

As I mentioned before I view combine or RAS scores as at best a confirmation of what you see on film, if a guy looks slow or non athletic on film/GPS and posts bad combine scores than chances are he is really is slow or unathletic, likewise for looking and playing fast on film. 

Basically if I was a GM I would always put more stock into what I see on film or what the GPS picks up in game vs. what was done at the combine. If I'm torn between two players and they were similar on tape but one posted a clear superior combine/ras score than that would probably be the tie breaker for me all else being equal(character, age, work ethic etc.)but otherwise I'm not taking a player over another based off of what he did for 1 day without pads on and not on the football field. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Don't call it #2...

Call it "X" Receiver.

Yes, he most likely would have started at "X".

Unless DPJ somehow beat him out...

I'm not sure of Chargers receiver room buy he very well may have looked at all the Lions receivers and not liked the amount of touches possible. Many receivers want the damn ball. The money was affordable but maybe he didn't want to come here?

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I'm not sure of Chargers receiver room buy he very well may have looked at all the Lions receivers and not liked the amount of touches possible. Many receivers want the damn ball. The money was affordable but maybe he didn't want to come here?

Oops....Titans receiving room. Yeah, we coulda afforded him.

Posted (edited)

Boyd was likely getting more opportunity with the Titans so he's likely to get a bigger next contract playing for them. I'm not really loving the Lions receiver room so I was hoping to land somebody like Boyd but I think he saw more opportunity with Tennessee so it was probably never realistic for the Lions to sign him, or Holmes is content with the receivers.

Edited by NYLion

53 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Boyd was likely getting more opportunity with the Titans so he's likely to get a bigger next contract playing for them. I'm not really loving the Lions receiver room so I was hoping to land somebody like Boyd but I think he saw more opportunity with Tennessee so it was probably never realistic for the Lions to sign him, or Holmes is content with the receivers.

yea...lots behind this we aren't aware of.

I read somewhere and also believe that our coaches think they can bring out the best in players. In the absence of other evidence, I got to believe they think DPJ is enough to not spend more on WR, at least any that are/were recently available.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Rashee Rice should be available soon if we want an X Receiver.

The guy has career earnings of $2.5 million. Which means after taxes and agent fees he’s earned about a million. Now, instead of letting Pat Mahomes set him up for life, he’s going to have to spend most of the rest of his money on lawyers and he is one more incident from being unsignable. 

What a complete moron.  This is what happens when you don't have a good support group around you.

Everyone was talking about the decisions Jaymo made and he did do some stupid stuff although after I heard his parents talk, it made me feel good that he had a good support system around him.  Also the things he did weren't criminal, just dumb comments and not knowing the rules fully.