Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

The Sewell and St Brown contracts are already updated on OTC. The Lions did not use void years on Sewell's contract and only used a $1.7 million void year on St Brown. The cap hits go up significantly around 2027 but the Lions have options to restructure or add void years. These seem like manageable contracts and they didn't tack on a bunch of void years. 

• Like 1

I don't know s**t about any of the players who got drafted, but I think the Packers will be the Lions biggest competition in the division going forward based on their history and the fact that their QB is more proven than Chicago's and Minny's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Which NFC North team do you feel had the best overall draft and offseason? Which one do you think will be the biggest threat to the Lions not just next year, but over the next several years?

Lions

Bears

Packers/Vikings

Lions are the best team in the division on paper, but they will get a run for their money from the bears if williams is as good as advertised.

with that said, other than cj stroud there havent been too many hyped rookie qbs who set the world on fire in their rookie years.  there are usually some growing pains.

the packers and bears both have achilles heels: their olines.  the lions have them both beat there.

the vikings are trying to make due with a less hyped rookie qb who will probably need more time to grow.

6 hours ago, holygoat said:

I don't know s**t about any of the players who got drafted, but I think the Packers will be the Lions biggest competition in the division going forward based on their history and the fact that their QB is more proven than Chicago's and Minny's.

Yup. Green Bay finished the season 6-2, smoked Dallas IN Dallas and then gave SF a scare. Love looks like the real deal. I'm glad the Lions are better...

I was thinking in the 2021 Draft Grade thread.... If we aren't going to re-sign Alim because of cost (which I don't think is a foregone conclusion, but is possible), is there any chance Brad looks to move on him before the trade deadline? Particularly if Martin makes progress this year and Mingo looks like he's here to stay?

I'd hate to see Alim go, he's one of my favorite players on that defense, but I'd hate it even more if he went for nothing. And high quality DTs don't grow on trees, especially not at 24 years old. I expect he might command a high 2nd or a low 1st though, and if you're not going to re-sign him it's hard not to think long and hard about that return on investment.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

53 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I was thinking in the 2021 Draft Grade thread.... If we aren't going to re-sign Alim because of cost (which I don't think is a foregone conclusion, but is possible), is there any chance Brad looks to move on him before the trade deadline? Particularly if Martin makes progress this year and Mingo looks like he's here to stay?

I'd hate to see Alim go, he's one of my favorite players on that defense, but I'd hate it even more if he went for nothing. And high quality DTs don't grow on trees, especially not at 24 years old. I expect he might command a high 2nd or a low 1st though, and if you're not going to re-sign him it's hard not to think long and hard about that return on investment.

If he can help us get to the Super Bowl next season, we’ll risk losing him (potentially offset by the guys you listed).  If this team is selling, even from a position of strength, something went wrong.

22 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

If he can help us get to the Super Bowl next season, we’ll risk losing him (potentially offset by the guys you listed).  If this team is selling, even from a position of strength, something went wrong.

I guess the flip side is that if he walks for nothing we may get a comp pick, but those are never guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think 4/200 is the floor. Hurts, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson all signed 5 year deals for 250+. Goff is older than those QBs so I think it will be a 4 year deal. 

I don't think he'll reset the market above Burrow, Herbert, and Jackson, though that's probably where his side started in negotiations. I could see him getting 4/210 to put him over top of Jalen Hurts and roughly even with Lamar and Herbert... I agree the four years makes the most sense based on his age and what the Lions have done with ASB. It would align those two contracts.

Ultimately though I think both sides want it done, so it'll get done... eventually.

18 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think he'll reset the market above Burrow, Herbert, and Jackson, though that's probably where his side started in negotiations. I could see him getting 4/210 to put him over top of Jalen Hurts and roughly even with Lamar and Herbert... I agree the four years makes the most sense based on his age and what the Lions have done with ASB. It would align those two contracts.

Ultimately though I think both sides want it done, so it'll get done... eventually.

The scuttlebutt on the Rams forum is that Goff is asking for the same money as Herbert. Not sure what their source is. I'm assuming local sources. Herbert signed for 5/262 so 4/210 would be about right for Goff. Probably 100+ guaranteed. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

The scuttlebutt on the Rams forum is that Goff is asking for the same money as Herbert. Not sure what their source is. I'm assuming local sources. Herbert signed for 5/262 so 4/210 would be about right for Goff. Probably 100+ guaranteed. 

At least his agent isn't releasing publicly that he wants more guaranteed money on the first day of the draft when everyone is watching like another player who played QB for both the Rams and Lions.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

At least his agent isn't releasing publicly that he wants more guaranteed money on the first day of the draft when everyone is watching like another player who played QB for both the Rams and Lions.

Yeah Rams fans don't like that. Apparently Stafford refused to restructure his contract to help the Rams with the cap. he restructured multiple times with the Lions. I bet it's Kelly who wants the money guaranteed. 

17 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

you dont trade a player like that in a super bowl window.

and you cant pay everybody.