Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

15 minutes ago, buddha said:

you dont trade a player like that in a super bowl window.

and you cant pay everybody.

If he plays worth deserving it and they want, they can always franchise him next year and then trade him.

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Something that is rarely used but I think would be worth using with McNeil is the transition tag. It essentially makes him a restricted free agent and allows the Lions to match any offer sheet. Let him test the market and if it gets out of hand let him walk. 

I'd be surprised if they used it as the only compensation you would get would be the normal comp pick formula for lost FA's and with drafting Wingo I think the goal is to develop a more cost effective option long term.  I could see them paying McNeil for a year at the Franchise Tag #, but don't know they want to go long term at $25 mil +/yr that he would likely get on the market if he puts up another Pro Bowl caliber season.  Not that they don't like him, or he won't deserve it, just you can only pay so many guys top $.  Definitely the 1 problem with drafting so many guys that hit.  Obvious positive is, if you keep doing that, you can pay the guys you have to pay and keep bringing in/developing young guys to take the other's spots when they get too expensive.

When Holmes traded Hock at 1-6, I remember he claimed that he would have done it even if we were 6-1. McNeill might test that.

If you can get a low-end first for him from a team like Miami, Houston, or Cincinnati, or a high-end second from Denver or New York (Giants), I think you have to think long and hard about it - if, and only if, you've decided you can't afford to keep him. You're not in desperation win-now-at-all-costs mode. If his replacement struggles, you're going to get flak for it, no doubt. But if you're Dan Campbell losing your best interior defender, you have to treat it just like you would a season-ending injury. Next man up.

It's probably accurate that it makes more sense to make the decision at the end of 2024, but you can't tag both McNeill and Decker. Hopefully they can extend at least one of them. I'd probably prefer Decker if I'm being honest, the offensive line is the heart of this team.

16 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

When Holmes traded Hock at 1-6, I remember he claimed that he would have done it even if we were 6-1. McNeill might test that.

If you can get a low-end first for him from a team like Miami, Houston, or Cincinnati, or a high-end second from Denver or New York (Giants), I think you have to think long and hard about it - if, and only if, you've decided you can't afford to keep him. You're not in desperation win-now-at-all-costs mode. If his replacement struggles, you're going to get flak for it, no doubt. But if you're Dan Campbell losing your best interior defender, you have to treat it just like you would a season-ending injury. Next man up.

It's probably accurate that it makes more sense to make the decision at the end of 2024, but you can't tag both McNeill and Decker. Hopefully they can extend at least one of them. I'd probably prefer Decker if I'm being honest, the offensive line is the heart of this team.

I don't think they will need to tag Decker.  He has already said he would love to do a deal and knows others need paid.   I also think there are other options at RT for a year if you would lose Decker and Sordsdal/Manu aren't ready.  I definitely don't see them signing him long term unless he takes a reasonable amount below what he could get on the market and they are only locked in for 2 more years.  Again, Decker's comments indicate that could happen, but I don't see him being franchised at all.

Also, they are in a completely different situation now than they were in 2022.  Even if they were 6-1 then, they knew they were not a championship calibar team.  They know they are now.

And further...

T.J. may just have not been "the guy" for this team.

Holmes & Campbell are practicing "Love Voodoo" on this team. They either love ya' as a player. Or they don't and you're out the door.

And he was also soon to be quite a bit more expensive... It was time to move on from Hock.

They should be considered when evaluating any QB.  Goff is a top 10 QB and should be paid accordingly.  Although his success is directly related to the quality of his offensive line like most QBs. 

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jacksonville cut Zay Jones. He's got versatility as an outside and slot guy. He had injuries last year but before that was pretty reliable. He would make a good pickup on a year deal. I'm also a fan of bringing back Chark.  

Agreed. The Lions are in deep trouble if there's an injury to their wide receivers. Or if Jaymo proves to be ineffective.

I expect the Lions to still add a WR. Maybe an edge rusher too, but I'm more doubtful of that.

I think Tyler Boyd either wants too much or too long. As time goes on, maybe he'll sign a CJGJ-like one-year deal (and actually prove it, unlike CJGJ).

DJ Chark makes a ton of sense. Like, as much sense as Kevin Zeitler.

Michael Thomas makes sense too between his injury history and Saints-to-Lions connections.

47 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

... I think Tyler Boyd either wants too much or too long...

I thought I saw where he was asking for $9 mill per...

I don't think that's too much on an annual basis...

But I didn't see what kind of term he was looking for. 2 or 3 years I could say yes, more than that might be too much to commit to...

We'll see when it gets closer to Training Camp if that changes...

If it ends up a 1-year I think that's a bargain. It'd be a "culture fit" 1-year, IMO, and if he fits into our "Lions Locker room culture" and Ben Johnson/ Jared Goff have him on the right page on the field... I'd be happy to go back to that 2 or 3 years deal...

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The problem is Boyd is a slot receiver despite having the build of an outside receiver. I like Chark. He knows the offense and he's worked with Goff. He had similar production to Reynolds even with Bryce Young. I wouldn't mind Zay Jones either. 

Yeah, I would prefer Chark. Like it's been pointed out, he knows the offense. It seems to take a bit to get Goff's trust, he needs veteran receivers. I'm sure Boyd would be good too but the last I read about him, he wanted a 3 year deal. No thanks...

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The problem is Boyd is a slot receiver despite having the build of an outside receiver....

I don't think that's a problem for Ben Johnson to find ways to move him around, inside or outside, and get him open...

And he's an easy enough target that I'm pretty certain Goff could find him without any issues...

Boyd's career catch % is 68.1% 

I'm going to guess that the Lions could find a way to work with that.

Michael Thomas seems a shell of his former self and hasn't played a full season in over 3 years. He gets injured all the time, probably even too much for Brad Holmes. I know the Saints connection is there but that dude is washed and is always hurt. No thanks on Michael Thomas. Tyler Boyd and DJ Chark are probably the only two free agent wideouts I have significant interest in right now. Maybe some interest in Zay Jones and Hunter Renfroe.

If we're going all in why not trade for Tee Higgins and really go all in. Ain't nobody gonna even be thinking about that first round pick next year when we're hoisting a Lombardi Trophy. In all seriousness, as much as I would love Tee Higgins, we can't afford the #1 WR money he will command with all the players we still need to pay. But it would be fun as hell to have him on this offense for one year and win a Lombardi with him.

10 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Higgins isn't going to play for the Lions unless he gets a new contract. He isn't holding out on the Bengals just to go to the Lions for one year. 

Yeah exactly, I've seen quite a few people suggest him but there is no reason he would come and play here for a year without an extension if he is holding up the Bengals. 

Any WR they may sign will be no better than the sixth offensive option, behind Montgomery, Gibbs, ASB, LaPorta, and Williams. They’ll be fighting with Kalif Raymond for three targets a game. 

I’d guess Brad has given Chark’s agent suggested terms on a one year deal, but both parties are waiting for the market to settle after the draft and before training camp. But Chark developed a rapport with Goff and it would be surprising if there wasn’t mutual interest. I would love to see him back. 

47 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Any WR they may sign will be no better than the sixth offensive option, behind Montgomery, Gibbs, ASB, LaPorta, and Williams. They’ll be fighting with Kalif Raymond for three targets a game. 

I’d guess Brad has given Chark’s agent suggested terms on a one year deal, but both parties are waiting for the market to settle after the draft and before training camp. But Chark developed a rapport with Goff and it would be surprising if there wasn’t mutual interest. I would love to see him back. 

Sure, a WR coming to town would be a #3 WR. But don't discount the possibility of injuries. As well as asking Jaymo to step up and be a #2 receiver. This team has Super Bown aspirations so we need to have as much offensive power as we can. And...I hear we may have a very tough schedule.