Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

One thing I found interesting was if this was edit in the right timeline of events, they didn't mention the 6th pick until Seattle picked which leads me to believe they would have stayed and taken Witherspoon. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Also makes you wonder if AZ would've agreed to the 24 first instead of pick 34 how different things could've been for us.

We probably wouldn't have LaPorta(I say prob cause they still could've traded up to get him) who was a key part in our season this year and presumably will be for the foreseeable future.

OTOH having pick 4 in this draft would be amazing whether we decided to keep it and take somebody like Marvin Harrison or trade it for a haul. 

If we played it right and the picks ended up working out we'd probably be set up better in the future with the 24 1st scenario but considering how important LaPorta was for us last year it's hard to say if we would've still accomplished all we did last year without him.  All hypothetical of course seeing as Arizona had no interest giving up that future 1st but things like this are always fun for me to think about. 

14 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. Also makes you wonder if AZ would've agreed to the 24 first instead of pick 34 how different things could've been for us.

We probably wouldn't have LaPorta(I say prob cause they still could've traded up to get him) who was a key part in our season this year and presumably will be for the foreseeable future.

OTOH having pick 4 in this draft would be amazing whether we decided to keep it and take somebody like Marvin Harrison or trade it for a haul. 

If we played it right and the picks ended up working out we'd probably be set up better in the future with the 24 1st scenario but considering how important LaPorta was for us last year it's hard to say if we would've still accomplished all we did last year without him.  All hypothetical of course seeing as Arizona had no interest giving up that future 1st but things like this are always fun for me to think about. 

I think it also shows that Holmes takes best talent available. I think it's obvious his first choice was Witherspoon. He traded back and instead of taking Gonzalez he went RB which wasn't a huge need. He may have went Gonzalez at 18 if he was there. I get the feeling they were the least enthused about Campbell. 

I agree that Witherspoon was the guy they wanted and they would have stayed and picked him had be not been taken by Seattle. My question for Holmes would have been/still is what they saw in Campbell over Joey Porter Jr. I like Campbell as a player and wanted the Lions to take a serious look at him were to be there in the second round. But given their glaring need a CB, I really was hoping for one of Porter Jr. or Gonzalez at the time.

They asked the question over on Pride of Detroit so I figured I'd ask it here. What's the consensus around here on signing Tyler Boyd? Do people want him and what do you think it would cost to get him? Is he going to want more money/years than Holmes is willing to pay out?

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

They asked the question over on Pride of Detroit so I figured I'd ask it here. What's the consensus around here on signing Tyler Boyd? Do people want him and what do you think it would cost to get him? Is he going to want more money/years than Holmes is willing to pay out?

Not sure what’s not to like.  He’s a better version of Josh Reynolds.  

Just now, MichiganCardinal said:

The fact that it took this long tells me he got no interest elsewhere and likely signed on a one-year deal where a roster spot is not guaranteed.

If I have to watch him start another playoff game I'm going to scream.

He's probably going to be on special teams. Replace Chase Lucas. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Not sure what’s not to like.  He’s a better version of Josh Reynolds.  

He's been WR #3 in Cincinnati since Chase got there. So I would wonder if he's looking for WR #2 money and target share in what may be his final chance at a big-ish or long term contract given that he's 29. Is he holding out on what the market is offering him or is the market not offering him a deal right now because of his contractual demands?

I'm certain he will cost us more in years and dollars than Reynolds would have to resign because he's a better player. I don't know that he's a significant upgrade though at this point in his career over Reynolds. He hasn't been a thousand yard receiver in over 4 seasons now and has put up similar numbers as Reynolds, albeit getting WR 3 target shares with the Bengals. I think I'd be down for a 1-2 year deal with him at the right price. I might even be willing to overpay for him as a rental on a one year deal because it wouldn't hinder our long term cap flexibility and would allow us to not have to draft a replacement for Reynolds high in this years draft. What does he even want contractually and would Brad be willing to give him what he wants? That I'm obviously not sure of.

This is allegedly a deep WR draft though, so there may be a guy who ends up being a WR and BPA on the Lions board and gets picked regardless of Boyd or another WR being signed or not.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

In the 2025 NFC Championship Game Brock Wright is going to leak out behind San Francisco’s DL, across the field, into the flat, for an uncontested, game winning 60 yard TD, and it will all be worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

In the 2025 NFC Championship Game Brock Wright is going to leak out behind San Francisco’s DL, across the field, into the flat, for an uncontested, game winning 60 yard TD, and it will all be worth it. 

And then the refs are going to throw a flag and we will proceed to learn about some obscure rule that we have never heard of before and it will be overturned. Then, everyone here and collectively across Lions fandom will lose their minds. Then, in the offseason, only after the obscure rule that no one has ever heard of has cost the Lions a game, will that be reviewed and changed.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm surprised, but glad.

Kudos to the 49ers for losing nothing and getting a conference foe to spend more money.

It would be a huge deal if we were up against the salary cap. I'm assuming we're still in good cap space?

5 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The fact that it took this long tells me he got no interest elsewhere and likely signed on a one-year deal where a roster spot is not guaranteed.

If I have to watch him start another playoff game I'm going to scream.

We need quality players for our practice squad (or special teams.)