Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

14 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Fair deal for all sides.

Onto Goff and McNeill

I feel like McNeil is going to be that tough decision where you let him walk because you have so many other players to sign. After Goff they have Sewell, then Hutchinson, then Laporta and maybe Gibbs and Branch. Good thing is they are staggered so it isn't all hitting at once. 

8 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I could be wrong, but one minor complaint is that I think BH has been slow playing these extensions for some reason.

months ago he could have "set the WR market" at a lower number than 30M. same is true for Goff, who is going to get 50M per.

I disagree, who signed in the offseason that reset the market? Davonta Smith? Amon-Ra was getting $28m+ no matter what.

26 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I could be wrong, but one minor complaint is that I think BH has been slow playing these extensions for some reason.

months ago he could have "set the WR market" at a lower number than 30M. same is true for Goff, who is going to get 50M per.

It's not a video game. You can't just make a 28 million offer and expect them to instantly accept then everything be rosey going forward. World doesn't work like that.

Brown wasn't going anywhere next year. Go out explore the trade and free agent market to see who you can get before you have to figure out how to structure brown's deal. Not to mention teams have to meet with agents, talk about it on both sides, make offers and counter offers them narrow it down. That all takes time. Heck I just took a new job with someone I knew and it was easy as hell and it still took two weeks to get all finalized.

Edited by KL2

29 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I disagree, who signed in the offseason that reset the market? Davonta Smith? Amon-Ra was getting $28m+ no matter what.

AND...I wouldn't be surprised if D. Smith just called his agent..."did you see that?"  My gut tells me Smith does not complete that deal if he stays healthy.

Earlier in this thread I did a rough projection of what I thought St. Brown might get paid. I said 4 year/$92 million with $61 million guaranteed. I had used Deebo Samuel's contract as a comparison for projecting what St. Brown might get. Whoooooo boooooy was I off on my projection. St. Brown certainly got paid today. Being honest, he deserves every cent of what he got as he's been the MVP of this offense the past couple of season. While it is a big deal, that takes up a good chunk of cap space, he is one of those players that deserve that type of big deal.

I think they are going to look for roster savings elsewhere on the roster to compensate for this deal and the future, pending, larger contract for Goff. If the a tackle prospect they like falls to them at 29, I could see them drafting Taylor Decker's replacement so they can have a future RT under team control and not have to pay Decker another big contract.

Lion's had to pay Brown because of his low salary for 3 years.  I don't think you have to pay Goff $50 because it will be his third big contract.  I could be wrong but I think Goff should be good with taking less (maybe $45 mil a year) if he wants to continue being protected (which he clearly needs to be successful).  Maybe he will take less to get more years, like 5 years $200 mil.

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Lion's had to pay Brown because of his low salary for 3 years.

Not sure this is true. A team isn't going to make a free agent a bigger offer because he had been a bargain for his previous team. The Lions aren't going to offer St. Brown any more money than they think he believes he would be eventually able to get somewhere else if he doesn't sign. Markets don't really keep memory of the past, they do have a lot of future prediction built in.

47 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Earlier in this thread I did a rough projection of what I thought St. Brown might get paid. I said 4 year/$92 million with $61 million guaranteed. I had used Deebo Samuel's contract as a comparison for projecting what St. Brown might get. Whoooooo boooooy was I off on my projection. St. Brown certainly got paid today. Being honest, he deserves every cent of what he got as he's been the MVP of this offense the past couple of season. While it is a big deal, that takes up a good chunk of cap space, he is one of those players that deserve that type of big deal.

I think they are going to look for roster savings elsewhere on the roster to compensate for this deal and the future, pending, larger contract for Goff. If the a tackle prospect they like falls to them at 29, I could see them drafting Taylor Decker's replacement so they can have a future RT under team control and not have to pay Decker another big contract.

In two years it will be 4 and 150 as the new bar.  And the cap will rise again and again...give it a few ASB will be a bargain...😄

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

That's a completely unrealistic expectation. Keep in mind when looking at previous contracts like Samuel, Hill, Brown etc., those were all during lower cap times and those guys are quite a bit older than Amon-Ra. The Lions are getting him right locked up right at the beginning of his prime while those are getting paid at the back end of their prime.

Edited by NYLion

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm guessing they announce the Goff contract tomorrow right before the Rams pick so the fans can chant Jared Goff. 

There's a movement afoot to start chanting right after Chicago picks their QB.