Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So....now where we at with regards to the cap? Enough leftover for Goff?

Signing Goff to a new contract would likely lower his cap hit. Last year he had the 3rd highest cap hit in the league. These new contracts likely don't change the cap hit for Sewell or St Brown much this year. In fact, Sewell was going to have a $19 million cap hit in 2025 so it's possible that is lower. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

This team, being run so well and contending....it's a dream come true. So...this is what it's like to have a good ...

Management team.

And owner.

And coaching staff.

And plethora of players...

All coming together in a swirl of excellence leading to a Super Bowl competitive team!

Hell yes! "Dream come true." Yep!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

This says we actually have Sewell locked up for 6 years. Today is a good day!

Sewell was already signed for one more year and the Lions picked up his 5th year option. After that is when this contract picks up. The good thing is the signing bonus is spread of 6 years instead of 4 which reduces the cap. I think they did it similar with St Brown. St Brown doesn't have a 5th year option since he was a 4th round pick so he had one year left. He's under control now for 5 years and the signing bonus will be spread over 5 years. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Sewell was already signed for one more year and the Lions picked up his 5th year option. After that is when this contract picks up. The good thing is the signing bonus is spread of 6 years instead of 4 which reduces the cap. I think they did it similar with St Brown. St Brown doesn't have a 5th year option since he was a 4th round pick so he had one year left. He's under control now for 5 years and the signing bonus will be spread over 5 years. 

These extensions were no-brainers. Keeping a Lions team in contention for years!!

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I keep forgetting Sewell is still only 23. 

And St. Brown only 24. The contracts will kick in when they're 25 but the Lions are getting full prime years with these contracts.

Having ASB locked up is a relief. I don't even care that he reset the market, because by this time next year he'll probably be the 4th or 5th on the list, and he's worth every penny he got. 

I love that the Lions were aggressive wrt to extending Sewell now instead of waiting for next year. They likely saved themselves money while also giving them the opportunity to spread his bonus over more years. That's some savvy s**t. We now have two of our cornerstone players locked down through their prime years, and the cap will only continue to rise over the course of both of these deals.

Brad Holmes is doing something previous GMs like Mayhew and Quinn failed to get done in certain situations. He's locking up their core guys that they will win with over the next 3-4-5 seasons. Really loving the totality of what Holmes did this offseason on the whole.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Brad Holmes is doing something previous GMs like Mayhew and Quinn failed to get done in certain situations. He's locking up their core guys that they will win with over the next 3-4-5 seasons. Really loving the totality of what Holmes did this offseason on the whole.

To be fair, those previous staffs didn't have many core players. Mayhew was able to lock up Calvin Johnson and Quinn locked up Stafford. We also forget that Quinn did extend Slay and Decker. The only blunder was Mayhew not extending Suh. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

To be fair, those previous staffs didn't have many core players. Mayhew was able to lock up Calvin Johnson and Quinn locked up Stafford. We also forget that Quinn did extend Slay and Decker. The only blunder was Mayhew not extending Suh. 

Quinn let Glasgow go too and chased Slay and Diggs out of town. All three guys should have be apart of our core.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Quinn let Glasgow go too and chased Slay and Diggs out of town. All three guys should have be apart of our core.

Ironically he signed Slay and Diggs to extensions. I blame Patricia for driving them out of town. They were fine when Caldwell was coach. Glasgow was a head scratcher but I'm not sure I considered him a core player. 

• Like 1