Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

My target is still Tyler Boyd.

I know he played mostly slot but he's also played roughly 20% on the outside so it's not like he's incapable or inflexible. 

He catches at a 68% rate. I think that level of reliability would absolutely be a positive for the Lions and I have no doubt whatsoever that Ben Johnson would be able to effectively utilize BOTH ARSB and Boyd in all sorts of formations and pre-snap movements, even when they are on the field at the same time.

Jameson has not reached that level of reliability, IMO, and therefore, I would prefer to take whatever he contributes to the team as gravy rather than as a must-have-reliability.

As for DPJ and Antoine Green... I'm fine with them "earning" playtime/ snaps/ targets... in if they do so, awesome. 

But I want one other guy that I have serious belief in their reliability as a pass-target for Goff in 2024.

IMO...

That's Tyler Boyd.

This could be one position that we look at the trade deadline.  All depending on injuries and DPJ and green making an impact.

I am definitely good with Boyd although I think he wants multiple years and not sure we want to do that.

The more I think about it, the more I think the target shares simply don't exist around here for a player like Boyd. Nor will Holmes want to pay the money that Boyd will command. Boyd was already the third in target in Cincinnati behind Chase and Higgins. I would guess he's looking to solidly be someone's #2 WR and get both the targets and pay to match his position as a #2 on the depth chart. If he comes here, as someone already mentioned previously I believe, he'll be likely #4 or #5 on the target share list. He'll for sure be behind St. Brown and LaPorta. There is a high probability Gibbs and Williams will end up seeing more targets than he does too. So that could put him further down the list.

If he wants to win a championship and get a Super Bowl ring, then Detroit is the place to come. I suspect, based on news we've gotten and the fact that he hasn't signed anywhere yet, that he wants a larger payday and a bigger role in an offense. I'd love to be wrong though and have him take a little less to come here, be a little further down the depth chart, but help us win a Lombardi.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

My target is still Tyler Boyd.

I know he played mostly slot but he's also played roughly 20% on the outside so it's not like he's incapable or inflexible. 

He catches at a 68% rate. I think that level of reliability would absolutely be a positive for the Lions and I have no doubt whatsoever that Ben Johnson would be able to effectively utilize BOTH ARSB and Boyd in all sorts of formations and pre-snap movements, even when they are on the field at the same time.

Jameson has not reached that level of reliability, IMO, and therefore, I would prefer to take whatever he contributes to the team as gravy rather than as a must-have-reliability.

As for DPJ and Antoine Green... I'm fine with them "earning" playtime/ snaps/ targets... in if they do so, awesome. 

But I want one other guy that I have serious belief in their reliability as a pass-target for Goff in 2024.

IMO...

That's Tyler Boyd.

Purportedly, Boyd wants to go where he’ll have a large role in the offense, that ain’t Detroit.

4 minutes ago, Longgone said:

Purportedly, Boyd wants to go where he’ll have a large role in the offense, that ain’t Detroit.

If he's looking for a team where he can get the most catches possible...

Yeah, that ain't Detroit.

I preferred Tater's version, but if that ain't happenin' then it ain't happenin': 

17 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

... If he wants to win a championship and get a Super Bowl ring, then Detroit is the place to come...

As somebody else said this could be a position we look to fill via in season trade. Given the fact we have a stud number 1 WR and a top 3 TE its not like it's a glaring issue so Holmes is prob fine just rolling with DPJ or Greene for the time being and seeing how things go. 

If they don't work out and we need a more reliable guy then that's when he'll go shopping. 

People-Jones before last season had back to back seasons of 600 and 800 yards receiving. He has the size and speed to be an X receiver. The Lions may feel comfortable in making him the X now that he will have a full training camp with the team. 

If we weren’t in the running for Chark at 1/5 I don’t think we are in the conversation for Boyd.

I do think there is a chance they like what they have at the position. I think they expect a lot from Jamo in 2024. If that’s the case, you have four very reliable pass catching athletes in ASB, LaPorta, Gibbs, and Jamo. It’s not like we would have put Reynolds in that group last year, he was just a nice commodity to have… Any more than that is just delicious gravy on this offense. A luxury. Which I have no doubt they would have taken in the draft if the situation presented itself, but it didn’t. They’ve still got Kalif, DPJ, and (hopefully) Antoine Green behind that group, which is not a trio completely devoid of talent.

On 5/1/2024 at 12:49 PM, 1984Echoes said:

That...

And game plans change week-to-week based on matchups... and even in-game as well.

I would rather not go into the season with "Khalif Raymond is our #3 receiver? AWESOME!"

And would rather go into the season with "Tyler Boyd is our #3 receiver? (or DJ Chark) I feel MUCH better now. Thank you very much."

It would be great to add Boyd or Chark. Just keep in mind, egos are involved. They only have one football to spread around and the Lions have tons of weapons/and flexibility to get the best matchup. So a guy coming here on a short “prove it deal” might not be too thrilled to be put in an offense where they won’t get huge numbers. 

Also, don’t forget the potential growth we could see from JaMo, Gibbs, and Laporta. I know people have short memories but did they not watch the last month or so of the regular season and playoffs and witness Jamo slowly but surely turning into a weapon? 

I think they will add another WR. But if they didn’t, I’m 100% confident in the roster as it stands. DPJ and Khaliff are more than capable backups and can create some tough matchups with their speed alone. Idk much about Green but if Holmes took him, I believe in him. 

11 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

They can have him. A lockerroom cancer.

Based on??  I know Stafford and the Rams loved what he brought to the room a few years ago. He’s a major reason they won that Super Bowl. 

I don’t think he would have been a fit in Detroit anyway, just curious why you said that. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, RJBrez said:

Based on??  I know Stafford and the Rams loved what he brought to the room a few years ago. He’s a major reason they won that Super Bowl. 

I don’t think he would have been a fit in Detroit anyway, just curious why you said that. 

I was wondering this also. I know he has boat loads of confidence and I seem to recall he didn’t mind showing that, but locker room cancer is a different beast entirely…

Edited by KnoxP

2 hours ago, RJBrez said:

His antics on the sidelines. You're correct, he's not a good fit on a MCDC team. And it a bad sign when a "talented" player goes from team to team every season. It seems like teams would want to keep a WR who is supposed to be so good. Keep him, Miami is the perfect place for him.

23 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

As somebody else said this could be a position we look to fill via in season trade. Given the fact we have a stud number 1 WR and a top 3 TE its not like it's a glaring issue so Holmes is prob fine just rolling with DPJ or Greene for the time being and seeing how things go. 

If they don't work out and we need a more reliable guy then that's when he'll go shopping. 

Just looking for some certainty...

But to your point (and if Holmes/ the Lions want to go this direction I will certainly live with it...): the team has to have some belief in DPJ and/or Green to roll this way...

I would say from a schematic POV: IIRC, at the end of the season and into the playoffs, teams were doing everything they possibly could to double-cover ARSB and LaPorta... putting pressure on the other Lions receivers to step up. So that's where Khalif, Reynolds, Gibbs and Jameson would have to make plays and to varying degrees, they did. Successfully, obviously.

So I am looking to replace the reliability of Josh Reynolds.

I expect some growth from Jameson, Gibbs is a dangerous guy out of the backfield, Khalif is a pick-your-spot guy, so that leaves... the actual X Receiver. Which is DPJ and Antoine Green.

23 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

People-Jones before last season had back to back seasons of 600 and 800 yards receiving. He has the size and speed to be an X receiver. The Lions may feel comfortable in making him the X now that he will have a full training camp with the team. 

This is why I was high on the trade for DPJ. For a 6th rounder next year: A big, tough, run-blocking, fast wide receiver.

But we haven't seen anything yet from him, or from Green for that matter.

If the team wants to go into the season trying to see what they can get from either of these guys, and make a trade at the deadline if they feel it's absolutely necessary, then I can also live with that.

Like I said... I'm just looking for that certainty/ reliability. Boyd has it in spades... hence my desire to add him.

The other guys on the roster... MIGHT also have it... but there's some risk/ uncertainty/ lots of hope in there.

Dammit... I hope DPJ turns into our version of Tyler Boyd starting THIS year... (He's been between 44% and 71% catch rates in small samples sizes...) IF he could settle in at a 65-68% catch rate guy and bully his way to a plethora of 1st downs and half a dozen TD's or so and 600-900+ yards along the way...

I'm good.

And everything I said above that last statement becomes moot point.

So...

We'll see...

59 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Not to be ignored is that they guaranteed the UDFA WR from Illinois Isaiah Williams $100k. They clearly see something in him and he'll have a chance at the roster.

He's 5'10 and 185lbs. I don't remember seeing this kid watching Big Ten football. But that doesn't seem like a traditional big-bodied, X WR to me. Hopefully they see something good in this kid.

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

He's 5'10 and 185lbs. I don't remember seeing this kid watching Big Ten football. But that doesn't seem like a traditional big-bodied, X WR to me. Hopefully they see something good in this kid.

No definitely not an X. If they've drafted a future X, it's Antoine Green (6'2 / 200).

He was a ball hawk at Illinois though. Led the B1G in receptions with 82, 15 more than the next closest receiver. Also had the 15th most receiving yards in the country, including 105 against Iowa's defense. A lone bright spot on a dreadful team and offense.

5 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

No definitely not an X. If they've drafted a future X, it's Antoine Green (6'2 / 200).

He was a ball hawk at Illinois though. Led the B1G in receptions with 82, 15 more than the next closest receiver. Also had the 15th most receiving yards in the country, including 105 against Iowa's defense. A lone bright spot on a dreadful team and offense.

He's got a mediocre RAS score and a slow 40 time. Whatever, he is a UDFA and so it's nothing but a bonus if he works out.

You know who else had a mediocre RAS score and a slow 40 time? 

I'm being cheeky, of course, and not saying Williams will be the next ASB, but RAS only tells a part of the overall picture. I do think it's kind of ironic that for how much Holmes seems to put into RAS, one of his very best picks was pretty average according to it.

ras scores have gone from being very interesting to being very overrated.  people treat those things like theyre 100% accurate predictors of success.  plenty of 9 ras scores flame out because they cant play football.