2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

Baez had the second worst fielding percentage of all eligible players at the position last year so the talking point that he's still good with the glove doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.  

Fielding % is almost as bad a stat as pitcher wins, but that said, no doubt Javy's attention did wander too many times last year  - he remains capable of elite play with the glove. What amuses me about Javy's career is that as good as he is with the glove, he is one of the consistently worst throwers to 1st I have ever watched. He's got a canon but zero accuracy. What he has had is the almost magical luck to have spent most of his career throwing to Rizzo, one of the best ever, spending the year at 2B after he lost Rizzo, and then lucking into Torkelson, who graded either tops or maybe it was #2 league wide at saving throws. If he had normal luck of the draw in 1Bs I absolutely believe he'd have been forced to 2B long ago.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

Baez had the second worst fielding percentage of all eligible players at the position last year so the talking point that he's still good with the glove doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.  

The sixties wants to make a point.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

So he can't hit and he can't field but that doesn't matter because one of them new age stats tell you what's really important, right?  

Well come on, explain to the class why sucking at hitting and fielding doesn't mean he's a waste of a roster spot?

speaking of defensive....

Fielding Percentage is a terrible stat.  It doesn't take into account how many plays a fielder makes.  It just penalizes him for errors.  According to statcast outs above average, Baez was in the 95th percentile last year.  That isn't the absolute answer, but I'll certainly take it over fielding percentage, which is practically useless by itself.  

Baez may be a waste of a roster spot, but he doesn't suck at fielding.  He was good enough to start in 2022 and while I'm not convinced he can get back to that level, I think it's possible.  The only real difference between Baez in 2023 and some of his good years was lack of power  If he gets that back along with his good fielding, he can be useful.    

12 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Baez may be a waste of a roster spot, but he doesn't suck at fielding.  He was good enough to start in 2022 and while I'm not convinced he can get back to that level, I think it's possible.  The only real difference between Baez in 2023 and some of his good years was lack of power  If he gets that back along with his good fielding, he can be useful.    

This is true, but I think that given the direction they are pushing Javy coaching wise, if the coaching is successful it's more likely to appear as OBP, in which case it will have to be a significant upgrade if it is not accompanied by more power.

Of course we've talked about it before, the nightmare fail scenario is that under Tiger coaching Javy just continues to spiral down and he get released, only to land with another team that leaves him alone and he ends up back as the old low OBP but useful power guy he was before he came to Det all while being being paid by us. Note I'm not saying the Tigers are wrong to try to 'fix' Javy, just that 'fixing' batters is a crapshoot that always has some possibility of blowing up in your face. You probably have to try though.

Edited by gehringer_2

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

This is true, but I think that given the direction they are pushing Javy coaching wise, if the coaching is successful it's more likely to appear as OBP, in which case it will have to be a significant upgrade if it is not accompanied by more power.

Of course we've talked about it before, the nightmare fail scenario is that under Tiger coaching Javy just continues to spiral down and he get released, only to land with another team that leaves him alone and he ends up back as the old low OBP but useful power guy he was before he came to Det all while being being paid by us. Note I'm not saying the Tigers are wrong to try to 'fix' Javy, just that 'fixing' batters is a crapshoot that always has some possibility of blowing up in your face. You probably have to try though.

I think it's too late to change him.  Let him be himself and maybe he gets his power back.  Of course, they know more than me, but turning him into an on base guy seems like a lost cause.    

11 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

Fielding percentage! Man, I haven’t thought of that one for a long time …

• Haha 2

I haven't seen very much of the broadcasts and I've only been following the box scores save a couple times over the last few weeks.  Dan Dickerson sounds very chill with Craig Monroe...maybe too much so.   

So, how do you folks feel from what you've seen?   I see a lot of very positive talk about our pitching.   Maybe its too early to get a read on this team. 

9 hours ago, Shinzaki said:

Baez sucks and we're stuck with him...in these fractious times...I'm glad there are still a few things that we can all agree on

This conversation sounds an awful lot like another one we were having about three years ago. Some dude by the name of Cabrera.

9 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Note I'm not saying the Tigers are wrong to try to 'fix' Javy, just that 'fixing' batters is a crapshoot that always has some possibility of blowing up in your face.

Baez had his worst full season in the majors last year, while posting his best strike out rate ever. looks like he is trying to do just what they want him to do, and it has clearly all blown up in their faces

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Baez had his worst full season in the majors last year, while posting his best strike out rate ever. looks like he is trying to do just what they want him to do, and it has clearly all blown up in their faces

Yup. Well noted. That is exactly what makes you wonder.

Hinch will tell you that the results are getting worse because as he gets older his approach is getting less tenable=more reason to change. The Tigers are paying the bill, they get the choice about which to believe.

Edited by gehringer_2

20 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Get outta here with those new fangled stats that don't support my argument /s

It was more the colors that caught my attention.  I thought we all agreed that pitcher wins and fielding percentage were the bees' knees.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Get outta here with those new fangled stats that don't support my argument /s

I’ll bet Jim Leyland could learn’im to hit that ball. 

• Haha 1

The effort some of you are putting into crazy ideas to motivate Baez by humiliating him or benching him in favor of clearly lesser players is really weird.   Dude is a dumpster fire and also the best SS the Tigers have by far but the moment people start pointing that out, people feel the need to come up with some crazy ideas that he is not getting the $98M he is guaranteed.

Feel free to keep pointing out he sucks at the plate (he does) but your olde timey "solutions" are silly.

• Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, GoBlue23 said:

The effort some of you are putting into defending Baez is really weird.   Dude is a dumpster fire but the moment people start pointing that out, people feel the need to rush to his defense for some reason. 

His offense is terrible.  I'd prefer that they not be stuck with him.  

I believe his defense is still pretty good.  I am not defending him so much as questioning the out-of-date stats you are presenting to make him look like an even worse player than he is.  

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

This conversation sounds an awful lot like another one we were having about three years ago. Some dude by the name of Cabrera.

At least with Miggy there were milestones to achieve ...drama to keep us interested.  What milestone is Baez aiming for?