2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

30 minutes ago, Longgone said:

To be fair, those were claims made by Bauer’s side. You don’t know the provenance, timing or context of the texts or video.

You have to consider everything now - since the Duke Lacrosse story and the UVA Frat Rape false stories - and that's unfortunate.  Those two things did more to hurt future rape victims than to help them.    Trevor Bauer's a weird weird guy and he's probably into some weird things, but I am not 100% convinced that she's the victim she claims to be.   Is it possible (like in the Middle East) that both side are wrong?      Anyway, I don't want a guy who's going to piss off his teammates and set a bad example for the youths in the organization.    Good luck in South Korea, Trev.  (or wherever he pitches). 

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Yes, that was my impression of Bauer before whatever happened.

I don't know enough about the case.  Sounds like a lot of he said she said as far as I know.  I guess what surprised me is how absolutely emphatic and dismissive Dickerson was about it.  I wonder if that's his personal feeling, or if he's in the know of the Tigers' position and is throwing it out there, or maybe its both?  Or, like you said, maybe he's doing MLB's PR.

He was never charged nor arrested.  Not wanting him on the team because he might be a bad influence or a distraction is a legitimate criticism.  Personally not wanting him on the team because he is a dickbag is also legitimate.  However, I was also surprised to see Dickerson be so dismissive to the fan.       

Edited by Tiger337

Kirk Gibson was the manager in Arizona when Bauer was run off. He is probably somebody Dan talks to a bunch, and does have a special assistant title. He probably knows some of his issues.

I really did just post because it was interesting to hear Dickerson, who usually isn't a hot take artist, come down hard on the issue. In my quick googling, it looked to me like the judge denied a few of Bauer's requests, and the suits by both parties were dropped. There has been a lot of gaslighting from Bauer and his camp that has permeated certain corners of the internet, though. I also don't approve of Dan's use of mentally ill as a pejorative

I got a kick out of the suggestion from a baseball standpoint, suggesting to go spend money on a starter when you are already looking at demoting one of Mize or Manning to start the year.

Edited by Edman85
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I got a kick out of the suggestion from a baseball standpoint, suggesting to go spend money on a starter when you are already looking at demoting one of Mize or Manning to start the year.

this if he was a hitter I would think about it but he's been a cancer way before this 

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Kirk Gibson was the manager in Arizona when Bauer was run off. He is probably somebody Dan talks to a bunch, and does have a special assistant title. He probably knows some of his issues.

I really did just post because it was interesting to hear Dickerson, who usually isn't a hot take artist, come down hard on the issue. In my quick googling, it looked to me like the judge denied a few of Bauer's requests, and the suits by both parties were dropped. There has been a lot of gaslighting from Bauer and his camp that has permeated certain corners of the internet, though. I also don't approve of Dan's use of mentally ill as a pejorative

They got a bit chippy with callers a couple times after that.  Started to feel like a Howard Stern bit, where callers try to aggravate the hosts.

Rough Pod for those guys.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

This Bauer call came right after a caller that asked about Austin Meadows.  Dickerson, paraphrasing here, "hoped he found health and happiness in his life" in a seemingly empathic tone.  Then comes the Bauer call and the tone flipped quickly.

I listened to a  little bit of sports talk radio during the Lions playoff run and immediately was reminded why I quit.  I don't know much about football so I was trying to get a feel for things, between this site and the radio.  Then I quickly realized I know more than the callers.

It adds no value to my understanding of any sport.  That's why this site is so good.  and why a site like Twitter can still exist and give me something if I stay on top of who I read and don't read.

• Like 2

The fact that no plaintiffs attorney is taking the case against Bauer - and I believe this woman settled for nothing from Bauer - which could be a career making case even if you lose - is telling

it certainly appears she was hoping for a big payday after asking to be choked out.

no prosecutor is taking a case when the accuser laid out before hand what she hoped would happen 

that doesn’t mean Bauer isn’t garbage through and through 

40 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

The fact that no plaintiffs attorney is taking the case against Bauer - and I believe this woman settled for nothing from Bauer - which could be a career making case even if you lose - is telling

it certainly appears she was hoping for a big payday after asking to be choked out.

no prosecutor is taking a case when the accuser laid out before hand what she hoped would happen 

The fact of her injuries is not in dispute. Who caused the injuries is not in dispute. The fact that Bauer gets off on violent acts towards women is not in dispute. The fact that she had some degree of consent made it difficult for her to win in a situation where there were no other witnesses. She did win a fairly large settlement.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

You have to consider everything now - since the Duke Lacrosse story and the UVA Frat Rape false stories - and that's unfortunate.  Those two things did more to hurt future rape victims than to help them.    Trevor Bauer's a weird weird guy and he's probably into some weird things, but I am not 100% convinced that she's the victim she claims to be.   Is it possible (like in the Middle East) that both side are wrong?      Anyway, I don't want a guy who's going to piss off his teammates and set a bad example for the youths in the organization.    Good luck in South Korea, Trev.  (or wherever he pitches). 

We do know all of those thing, though. The texts -- and the dates they were sent -- came to light as a result of discovery, and are not in dispute. Same with the videos. She was explicit about her intentions to extort money from Bauer. Bauer's an A-hole, and if that's a deal-breaker for Harris and Hinch, cool. But I'm not sure how anyone can read those texts and watch those videos and not conclude that the accuser wasn't lying.

15 minutes ago, holygoat said:

We do know all of those thing, though. The texts -- and the dates they were sent -- came to light as a result of discovery, and are not in dispute. Same with the videos. She was explicit about her intentions to extort money from Bauer. Bauer's an A-hole, and if that's a deal-breaker for Harris and Hinch, cool. But I'm not sure how anyone can read those texts and watch those videos and not conclude that the accuser wasn't lying.

You are falling for a very carefully biased and incomplete narrative promulgated by the Bauer camp. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Someone tried to do it to Aziz Ansari, though he never actually assaulted her.   

This whole argument is stupid.   It was based on a brain-dead caller who seemed to be unaware of Trev's reputation on the field, not even off it.   From what I have seen, there were no tears on ANY teams when he left.      Remember, calls come in with people that say "We should trade Kerry Carpenter for Nolan Arenado".     Some kind of people that say we should trade for Anthony Rendon.      

2 hours ago, Longgone said:

You are falling for a very carefully biased and incomplete narrative promulgated by the Bauer camp. 

You are falling for a very carefully biased and incomplete narrative promulgated by the accuser's camp.

On 2/22/2024 at 4:18 PM, oblong said:

I would argue that much of the development we see is in spite of them. Go in a mile radius around Comerica and LCA and any rot you see is their buildings.  They buy stuff. Let it sit. Then claim it has to go.  A lot of development has taken place but it’s not them.  Very few of their promises have been kept.  

that said… I am one who doesn’t kind the parking lots. Like G2 says… where are we going to park?  I hate parking structures.  I am mad that UM is taking over the largest, and farthest, lot from Comerica. I could always park there for $8 in advance. 

Or park on Gratiot for free. 🤫

On 2/22/2024 at 11:19 PM, holygoat said:

Dan needs to read up on the Bauer issue. During discovery they got texts from his accuser's phone that she sent to her friend explicitly laying out her plan to extort him. Videos of her next to him while he slept laughing about it. Bauer is a known world-class D-bag, and if that's a deal breaker, cool. But seeing Dan do MLB PR like this is really disappointing.

I agree. I love Dan as an announcer, and he was very nice and gracious and generous the time I interviewed him for my long-dead blog, but it was disappointing to see him lean on tired tropes such as Bauer somehow finagled the system to get a judge who would be sympathetic to him.

21 hours ago, casimir said:

Yes, that was my impression of Bauer before whatever happened.

I don't know enough about the case.  Sounds like a lot of he said she said as far as I know.  I guess what surprised me is how absolutely emphatic and dismissive Dickerson was about it.  I wonder if that's his personal feeling, or if he's in the know of the Tigers' position and is throwing it out there, or maybe its both?  Or, like you said, maybe he's doing MLB's PR.

I don’t know if he’s consciously doing PR for The Man, but Dan does have a daughter in her 20s, so I could see where he simply has a visceral personal distaste for the entire sordid episode and the man attached to it. There could be a smattering of Believe The Woman at play here, too.

There's multiple accusers, and one still pending. My understanding from my glance through things yesterday is that the Bauer camp has tried to keep MLB's investigation under wraps. I do suspect whatever MLB uncovered was damning enough to make the severe suspension hold and scare all 30 teams away from him. I also suspect Dan has seen what is in that report, or has been made aware by people in the know what was in it. Meanwhile, we are left wading through muddy waters from partial media, making it tough to find anything close to the truth. Asking the fan to read up when the exact information Dan put out there really isn't out in the public isn't exactly fair, but the way the caller kept going toward the end, you could tell he only ate up the Bauer camp's story using terms like "blackballed."

It's tough to separate fact from spin these days, very tough.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Reread that and underline the parts "Bauer said", as I stated previously, her basic problem was degree of consent and no corroborating witnesses. The basic facts of Bauer's behavior are beyond dispute, whether or not the woman was motivated by financial gain, or provided misleading testimony.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Longgone said:

Reread that and underline the parts "Bauer said", as I stated previously, her basic problem was degree of consent and no corroborating witnesses. The basic facts of Bauer's behavior are beyond dispute, whether or not the woman was motivated by financial gain, or provided misleading testimony.

Oh, sorry, I thought we were limiting discussion to criminal aspects of the case, of which the judge basically determined there were none.

Yeah, I agree, Bauer is a bad guy, and almost certainly a clubhouse cancer, and I wouldn't want him on my team, either, unless we're talking OOTP.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I agree, Bauer is a bad guy, and almost certainly a clubhouse cancer, and I wouldn't want him on my team, either, unless we're talking OOTP.

Sure, you can easily change his name in OOTP to something else.

Numerous versions ago, IF Reid Brignac was an absolute monster.  It never panned out in reality.  If I were him, I’d never show my grandkids my baseball card.  I’d show them that version of OOTP.