Jump to content

2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

I must be one of the few who liked (likes) that logo.  i don't want it as the main logo, but i like it as one of a few.  i still wish that style of D was on the jerseys.  they offered some complete bull**** about wanting logo uniformity as the reason for the change.  

is it bs that people disliked Marion Illitch's design? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nope.  to each his own.  I like it, and i recognize that i'm one of the few.

What i was saying is that when the D on the jerseys was changed in 2019 (maybe 2018?), the rationale was that MLB was cracking down and requiring uniformity of logos, so the Tigers had to make the hat and jersey have the same version of the D.  That is bull****.  many teams don't have the allegedly-required uniformity.  Most notably the yankees interlocking NY are different between the hat and jersey. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Nope.  to each his own.  I like it, and i recognize that i'm one of the few.

What i was saying is that when the D on the jerseys was changed in 2019 (maybe 2018?), the rationale was that MLB was cracking down and requiring uniformity of logos, so the Tigers had to make the hat and jersey have the same version of the D.  That is bull****.  many teams don't have the allegedly-required uniformity.  Most notably the yankees interlocking NY are different between the hat and jersey. 

As I recall, the D changes you are referring to were a Chris Illitch thing. 

On a somewhat related note:

There is a piece in The Athletic today about many of the players not being happy with the quality of this year’s jerseys. Their ire is directed at Nike and Fanatics. I have to agree with them on what I’ve seen.

Edited by 1776
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, 1776 said:

As I recall, the D changes you are referring to were a Chris Illitch thing. 

On a somewhat related note:

There is a piece in The Athletic today about many of the players not being happy with the quality of this year’s jerseys. Their ire is directed at Nike and Fanatics. I have to agree with them on what I’ve seen.

Corporate America, always a race to the bottom to squeeze every last nickel out of things so that our investments can make an extra 1/8 of a point.

You'd think with the advertisements this wouldn't be an issue/

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, 1776 said:

As I recall, the D changes you are referring to were a Chris Illitch thing. 

On a somewhat related note:

There is a piece in The Athletic today about many of the players not being happy with the quality of this year’s jerseys. Their ire is directed at Nike and Fanatics. I have to agree with them on what I’ve seen.

https://theathletic.com/5276715/2024/02/15/nike-mlb-fanatics-jersey-issues/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I have strict instructions to never ever get me anything with this logo on it.  Usually a family member will find something at a garage sale or something with it. 

In the trash it goes.

 

I have a light, spring jacket someone bought me as a gift with that logo on it. It's still in the closet, never worn. 😅😅

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

If any are in town let me know in advance and if my schedule works up can meet for a beer somewhere in Lakeland.

I'm going to by a snowbird place down there but it's still a backburner project for me at this point in time. Possibly towards the end of this year, or maybe next year...?

My timing is obviously not set yet so... I will definitely keep you in mind at some future date for a beer.

I drink Guinness.

😉

 

 

Edited by 1984Echoes
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm going to by a snowbird place down there but it's still a backburner project for me at this point in time. Possibly towards the end of this year, or maybe next year...?

My timing is obviously not set yet so... I will definitely keep you in mind at some future date for a beer.

I drink Guinness.

😉

 

 

Condolances on the beer choice, but more than happy to meet up.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm going to by a snowbird place down there but it's still a backburner project for me at this point in time. Possibly towards the end of this year, or maybe next year...?

My timing is obviously not set yet so... I will definitely keep you in mind at some future date for a beer.

I drink Guinness.

😉

 

 

I pictured you more of a White Claw guy. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm going to by a snowbird place down there but it's still a backburner project for me at this point in time. Possibly towards the end of this year, or maybe next year...?

My timing is obviously not set yet so... I will definitely keep you in mind at some future date for a beer.

I drink Guinness.

😉

 

 

We’ve been scanning houses there from afar. Reasonable costs as well. 
Nice area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I pictured you more of a White Claw guy. 

I actually don't like beer.

I prefer liquor or wine.

Actually, my favorite is Vintage or Late-Bottled Vintage Port. Dow's or similar.

Or Stoley's Vodka.

Or a shot of Fireball.

Or a Russian Quaalude (Kahlua, Stoley's, Bailey's Irish Cream, and Frangelica).

I have no clue what White Claw is... I had to look it up.

So... not much for beer... And since Stout is a much stronger taste that covers up some of the beer taste I can actually enjoy a bit of Guinness. Certain IPA's too...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't had a Rum Runner in a long while... 

Had them all the time when I lived in Florida.

(Got a Bachelor's at FAU in Boca Raton... lived in southeast Florida a total of 19 years before I had enough of the crappy weather and had to head back up north to New Jersey... which is not as nice as Michigan weather but it'll do...).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

I actually don't like beer.

I prefer liquor or wine.

Actually, my favorite is Vintage or Late-Bottled Vintage Port. Dow's or similar.

Or Stoley's Vodka.

Or a shot of Fireball.

Or a Russian Quaalude (Kahlua, Stoley's, Bailey's Irish Cream, and Frangelica).

I have no clue what White Claw is... I had to look it up.

So... not much for beer... And since Stout is a much stronger taste that covers up some of the beer taste I can actually enjoy a bit of Guinness. Certain IPA's too...

Revival and Mojo's both in downtown Lakeland will be your go to for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Your preference is...?

I'm a dipa/triple IPA or barrel aged stout guy, one of the beer snobs that many don't like  🙂 . If a stout isn't 10%abv it will be ok but not my preference, sipping stouts iow.  Second hobby is bourbon.

One of the top 10 desert stout breweries in the country is in Tampa, another one similar in quality in St Pete.  Swan will have a stout you will enjoy and their IPA's are good.

I host a beer share in December each year, started in 2019, where we have quite a few folks fly/drive in and ship their beer ahead of time if not driving.  Usually about 30-40 of us with $4-5,000 in beer on the bar at nights end. We usually hit a few breweries in ATL or this year we hit Greenville SC for a day.   All are welcome, buddies brewery hosts the event and shuts down at 6pm for the share.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whew!

At least you didn't say Bud Light! 😉

I've tried lots of stouts IPA's over the years... probably nowhere near a serious guy which you appear to be... Beer snobs don't bother me at all. Probably even have a few good suggestions...

But mostly, it's probably too deep end for me. I think after the ones I've tried (and I don't even remember any of the names... obviously not a huge thing for me) that I decided to go the simpler route with my tastes... 

I'm down with the 10%+ requirement... but I'd have to catch one that really caught my taste buds and then I would probably stick with it rather than try anything and everything...

 

 

Edited by 1984Echoes
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

We’ve been scanning houses there from afar. Reasonable costs as well. 
Nice area.

When I was looking from afar also...

I think I liked the looks of some places not necessarily in Lakeland but in Lake Wales and Lake Ashton... next door neighbors. Still easy access to daily Lakeland Complex and Spring Training... also I-4 to run into Tampa occasionally, or over to Orlando & Universal Studios...

Etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

When I was looking from afar also...

I think I liked the looks of some places not necessarily in Lakeland but in Lake Wales and Lake Ashton... next door neighbors. Still easy access to daily Lakeland Complex and Spring Training... also I-4 to run into Tampa occasionally, or over to Orlando & Universal Studios...

Etc.

There is no such thing as running to Orlando or Tampa via I4, stop and go stop and go stop and well you get the idea, 

I may choose 95 in Miami over I4. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      251
    • Most Online
      186

    Newest Member
    Terrible1345
    Joined
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...