2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

48 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Hiura is good for camp competition. Harris didn’t draft Tork. 

There is no-one in the Tiger org who could pressure Torkelson, but they do need some insurance if he gets hurt as they don't really have anyone else who has played much 1B since neither Nevin nor Schoop is still with the team. Ibanez played a couple games at 1st last season and is pretty much a lock to make the team but if they had to use him at 1st much it would crimp Hinch's 'optionality'.  Beyond that, Malloy played a little 1B in college, Lipcius has played a little 1st in the minors. None of those have as much experience at 1b as Hiura. 

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

There is no-one in the Tiger org who could pressure Torkelson, but they do need some insurance if he gets hurt as they don't really have anyone else who has played much 1B since neither Nevin nor Schoop is still with the team. Ibanez played a couple games at 1st last season and is pretty much a lock to make the team but if they had to use him at 1st much it would crimp Hinch's 'optionality'.  Beyond that, Malloy played a little 1B in college, Lipcius has played a little 1st in the minors. None of those have as much experience at 1b as Hiura. 

I think that's part of the reason they got Canha.  He can play first base if Torkelson slumps badly.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I think that's part of the reason they got Canha.  He can play first base if Torkelson slumps badly.  

I suppose but of all the Tigers hitters Torkelson is the one I worry the least about. Injury always lurks, but otherwise, he's been able to adjust to how he's pitched, his mechanics are sound,  and there isn't a lot of luck in his results that we're waiting to see regress. I'd like to see him get a *little* selective on strike one so he gets behind less often, but that's a small nit to pick. If the rest of team gets on base at all 100 rbi will be a walk.

I do think they want to avoid running him down with 20-30 games stretches this season, so there will be a player  who can cover 1B on the bench. If the OF gets crowded that would be Canha, but if some number of the young OFs regress and Canha is needed everyday in the OF, I think they will want at least one other possible backup for Tork - but that could be Ibanez.

Edited by gehringer_2

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I suppose but of all the Tigers hitters Torkelson is the one I worry the least about. Injury always lurks, but otherwise, he's been able to adjust to how he's pitched, his mechanics are sound,  and there isn't a lot of luck in his results that we're waiting to see regress. I'd like to see him get a *little* selective on strike one so he gets behind less often, but that's a small nit to pick. If the rest of team gets on base at all 100 rbi will be a walk.

I do think they want to avoid running him down with 20-30 games stretches this season, so there will be a player  who can cover 1B on the bench. If the OF gets crowded that would be Canha, but if some number of the young OFs regress and Canha is needed everyday in the OF, I think they will want at least one other possible backup for Tork - but that could be Ibanez.

I think I recall one of the "perks" of Vierling at the time of his acquisition was that he could handle 1B every now and again to spell Torkelson every now and again.  He played all of zero innings there last season for the Tigers.

Also of note about Vierling, he has a bbref similarity of 973.3 with Skeeter Barnes.  I saw Barnes ply his trade as a Mud Hen at Ned Skeldon Stadium (RIP to that track).  This sentence has absolutely nothing to do with the 2024 Tiger spring training, but now you're engulfed with memories of Skeeter Barnes and/or Ned Skeldon Stadium and/or Mud Hens.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oblong said:

Glad for Tarik but I'm not sure that's the kind of thing a reporter should be added to the end of their tweet.  He often crosses the line to fanboy rather than journalist.

A lot of local beat writers act like Fanboys its kind of annoying

5 hours ago, oblong said:

Glad for Tarik but I'm not sure that's the kind of thing a reporter should be added to the end of their tweet.  He often crosses the line to fanboy rather than journalist.

And he should save that for the season. I would not call throwing max effort the 1st week of ST a mature level of training decision making.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

And he should save that for the season. I would not call throwing max effort the 1st week of ST a mature level of training decision making.

But this isn’t the first week of throwing by him. I’m confident he is sticking to an exertion plan set out for him by his coaches. 

8 hours ago, oblong said:

But this isn’t the first week of throwing by him. I’m confident he is sticking to an exertion plan set out for him by his coaches. 

This is probably true.  However, that 100 MPH is going to be better served later on in the regular season than late February.

17 hours ago, oblong said:

McCosky sailed that ship into the deep blue sea a loooong time ago.

That said, I’m not sure how else a beat writer, at least with the Tigers, could keep his job. The prior front office was long known to take umbrage with beat writers they felt were not playing nice enough with them, and Fenech paid the price for that, so really, only fanboys were allowed in the clubhouse, or at least writers who wouldn’t rock any boats.

I’m pretty sure this front office isn’t prioritizing the transformation of this beat writing corps into a cabal of actual journalists any time soon, and I would think Baseball as a whole approves of this as the ongoing state of affairs, seeing as how they have their own fawning state media apparatus to help them market the game.

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

I view this as a Tommy John red flag more than anything else. Maxing out in BP when you already have a precursor to serious elbow problems in recent history.

Or maybe Skubal is not actually maxing out? Does he have more in the tank than 100? Something we probably don’t know for sure just yet. Maybe he was just airing it out and not trying to torque his elbow on it, which wouldn’t be as bad.

Assuming Skubal is maxing out, I do agree that it’s not in his best interest or that of the organization to show off during live BP in mid-February, although, I can see how an emotional 26-year-old who’s been scuffling along with injuries for several years now would want to prove to his coaches as quickly as possible that he’s in 100% tip-top shape.