2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

14 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

There is no such thing as running to Orlando or Tampa via I4, stop and go stop and go stop and well you get the idea, 

I may choose 95 in Miami over I4. 

Why I don't even bother with Spring Training anymore... I've dealt with rainouts the last 2-3 trips down there, erratic backfield schedules, traffic and long distance between sites. Pass.

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

Why I don't even bother with Spring Training anymore... I've dealt with rainouts the last 2-3 trips down there, erratic backfield schedules, traffic and long distance between sites. Pass.

I will say two things have improved.

The toll lanes through downtown Orlando make it far easier to get through that area, but Disney is Disney.

429 is improved at the I4 connection, but still it's I4 for 20mi where you can stop for ten minutes for no accident no anything and then do 80mph for ten mile before you stop again for no reason, lol.

27 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

I will say two things have improved.

The toll lanes through downtown Orlando make it far easier to get through that area, but Disney is Disney.

429 is improved at the I4 connection, but still it's I4 for 20mi where you can stop for ten minutes for no accident no anything and then do 80mph for ten mile before you stop again for no reason, lol.

I'm coming from Jacksonville, so I've got to take I4 from Daytona or back roads.

36 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Are you able to see Detroit games down in Florida? 

MLB TV is available for out of market games at reasonable cost. The problem with MLB TV is that is all it is good for, you can't use it watch your own team unless you are an ex-pat.

Alex Lange to McCosky in today's DetNews:

“I’ve been working on the four-seamer and working the sinker to make sure we’re starting it in the right tunnel so when it does move, it’s coming back (over the plate),” Lange said. “It’s not rocket science, you know? Just go out and execute and keep getting guys out.”

He only threw a 4 seamer 5% of the time (as per statcast) last season. Stands to reason that a breaking ball pitcher that needs to throw his fastball for called strikes might want to increase his 4 seamer use more if he can't keep the sinker in the zone. Like he says - it's not rocket science. It wasn't rocket science last season either but he apparently didn't want to take on making that adjustment on-the-fly mid-season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Always a risk when setting up a vacation weeks or months in advance. getting sick the day before you leave is always a risk, too, especially in frigid weather climes. 

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Always a risk when setting up a vacation weeks or months in advance. getting sick the day before you leave is always a risk, too, especially in frigid weather climes. 

Little known fact: cold whether doesn't cause illness. Or at least the cold itself. Being indoors around others, which cold weather causes people to do is the culprit.

11 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Little known fact: cold whether doesn't cause illness. Or at least the cold itself. Being indoors around others, which cold weather causes people to do is the culprit.

But it can contribute to respitory and cardiovascular problems, especially in the elderly.   

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

This is true. However, when it is cold the body will relinquish 'energy' to stay warm. Then bodily reserves are taxed. Then, if the body is in that state, when around others, a bacteria and/or virus which another may have, could be spread more easily (ex hand shakes, hugs, any contact or with shared item usage, etc.) - then when one touches their own face, eyes, nose, etc. it may be transferred.

Edited by alex

best shape of his life

Has anyone yet said "It just feels different this year..... I can't explain it.  But guys are crisper.  More alert.  We're going to focos on the little things.  Rounding the bases the right way. Proper leadoffs.  Staying down on the ball."

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Not to mention the Tigers & Orioles literally canceling the last scheduled spring training game one of the past two years (can’t remember which year).

15 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I'm coming from Jacksonville, so I've got to take I4 from Daytona or back roads.

May be faster to take 321??, not sure of the exact highway number, from Jville to Gainesville then 75 to rte 471 exit, six miles south of the turnpike.  Exit 321 off 75 then 54 miles to downtown Lakeland, 35mi of which is a 60mph road where most do 70+.  Miss all the Orlando crap, guessing this isn't new information for you.

20 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

May be faster to take 321??, not sure of the exact highway number, from Jville to Gainesville then 75 to rte 471 exit, six miles south of the turnpike.  Exit 321 off 75 then 54 miles to downtown Lakeland, 35mi of which is a 60mph road where most do 70+.  Miss all the Orlando crap, guessing this isn't new information for you.

This reminds me of a time years ago - '75 maybe? - before Disney et al had gotten all that big. We'd gone to FLA for the semester break and the Orange bowl and started back from Ft. Lauderdale on the 2nd.  Apparently it was us and most of the rest of the Midwestern population because the Turnpike/75 were reported to be stop and go all the way to the GA border. So after suffering the stop and go for about an hour (with a manual trans!) we got off and started up the back roads. Northwestern FLA in those days looked just like a scene from 'Deliverance'. Rickety unpainted front porches with rocking chairs on them. Spanish moss draping everything. The whole nine yards. Took forever but one of the most entertaining drives we ever made.

Edited by gehringer_2

19 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I think it'll be easier if I just live down there.

If it's sunny... head over to the fields...

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Hahaha if you think it stays sunny here...

PS: But also... If I'm right in the area... I'll know what the local, at-the-moment, weather is so I can determine whether or not it's worth it to run over to the ballpark. Oh... and take along my raincoat anyways... just in case!

😉

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

I didn't really notice until I went back and looked at some older pictures.  Yeah, he's definitely been spending some time at the gym since we last saw him pitch.  

As long as it helps him pitch...

Better.

And...

Also to stay healthier...!

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

I didn't really notice until I went back and looked at some older pictures.  Yeah, he's definitely been spending some time at the gym since we last saw him pitch.  

I noticed that with Manning last year too when he came back from the first foot injury.