2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

14 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I agree that a team owner is supposed to give the players the things they need to perform to maximum output, and that includes not only proper, state-of-the-art coaching, equipment, and analytics support, but also the day-to-day amenities that leads players to really like playing and appreciate for them. I would also say that a lot of owners don't do this, including this very same owner until just recently, so I'll still give credit where I think it's due.

This was overlooked at the time (and remains overlooked), but this is a good example of changes under the hood that can make long term differences as well.

As you said, a lot of owners don't do this. You don't have to be a Pizza Jr apologist to recognize that.

• Like 2

Look, this club won a championship training like this... these modern day millionaire crybabies need to toughen up!

(Channeling my inner Bob Page)

409152229_428991869493538_1775230412562124958_n.jpg

of course, Lance knows it's all a joke, he's just resting after his real workout.  You just know Brookens has a beer there somewhere. 

Fan: Is there a chance they can add somebody like Trevor Bauer?

Dan: (interrupting) No on Trevor Bauer. I hope he never gets a chance to play in this league again. Maybe you have another idea, but not Trevor Bauer.

Fan: Didn't he get found not guilty?

Dan: No, he found a judge who gave him an unbelievably favorable ruling that defied all logic and law.

Fan: I thought there was audio tap...

Dan: (interrupting) He has serious mental health issues and does not belong in Major League Baseball. Find somebody else because it's not going to be Trevor Bauer.

Fan: So he's going to be blackballed. No, I don't have anybody else, he was the guy. I think the guy was framed.

Dan: You need to read up on it more.

Fan: Wasn't the girl admitting she was scamming Trevor Bauer?

Dan: No

Caputo: Your basing it on... Bauer on social media thing... He's got an agent who's a very smart person. They've been putting spin on it.. (further rambling backing Dan and smoothing the edges)

Dan: Nobody should sign this guy. He basically admitted in court what he did. He found a judge who said because she didn't specifically say she was unconscious that he couldn't do what he did because she didn't say that which is found nowhere in law. That's why he did not face the consequences he should have. That's the guy they want back in the league?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Dan: (interrupting) No on Trevor Bauer. I hope he never gets a chance to play in this league again. Maybe you have another idea, but not Trevor Bauer.

Dan: No, he found a judge who gave him an unbelievably favorable ruling that defied all logic and law.

Dan: (interrupting) He has serious mental health issues and does not belong in Major League Baseball. Find somebody else because it's not going to be Trevor Bauer.

Fan: So he's going to be blackballed. No, I don't have anybody else, he was the guy. I think the guy was framed.

Caputo: Your basing it on... Bauer on social media thing... He's got an agent who's a very smart person. They've been putting spin on it.. (further rambling backing Dan and smoothing the edges)

Dan: Nobody should sign this guy. He basically admitted in court what he did. He found a judge who said because she didn't specifically say she was unconscious that he couldn't do what he did because she didn't say that which is found nowhere in law. That's why he did not face the consequences he should have. That's the guy they want back in the league?

we must not upset Dan Dickerson.   

Also, I think people in the industry might know more than the outsiders...maybe maybe not. 

I think this is like some of those people who were saying Brian Kelly to take over for Harbaugh.   That was never a serious option because of all the things that people knew about Brian Kelly.   

Edited by romad1

6 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The Ilitches are corporate welfare queens, crooks, and gangsters, who have ripped off taxpayers in the poorest big city in America time and again. They have suckled off the tit of the public dole for years. No one in Detroit or Southeast Michigan collects welfare quite like the Ilitch Family. They are Tony Jack Giacalone with a legit pizza business and entertainment company as their front.

I am out of state and not as informed as you, and noting your logo you're probably well versed on corruption, but doesn't the Illitch companies employ lots of people in Detroit ? Haven't they built or refurbished large parts of Detroit and more than anyone else adding to the vibrancy of the city? What investor wouldn't take advantage of tax incentives if availible?

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I didn’t know this podcast existed.  I like both of those guys.

17 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I am out of state and not as informed as you, and noting your logo you're probably well versed on corruption, but doesn't the Illitch companies employ lots of people in Detroit ? Haven't they built or refurbished large parts of Detroit and more than anyone else adding to the vibrancy of the city? What investor wouldn't take advantage of tax incentives if availible?

I think the Ilitch record is a mixed bag. They have definitely been a catalyst for the area around the ballpark and they have put in as big a share or more of their own money as sports ownership anywhere else. What they are guilty of is overpromising on secondary development projects they never had any particular interest in but signed up for to oil the political skids on the projects they wanted. The other big knock is that that don't want to see the parking lots developed. Well, d'OH! If I had direct interest in filling 3,500,000 seats downtown every 12months in a city where everyone has to drive to my venues, because public transit is non-existent and the population is all over 3 counties,  I think I'd want to be forgiven for wanting to keep a lot of parking available. That just the reality of operating those venues in Detroit. It's not NYC with a subway line or even Minneapolis with trolley busses and light rail all around the park.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I would argue that much of the development we see is in spite of them. Go in a mile radius around Comerica and LCA and any rot you see is their buildings.  They buy stuff. Let it sit. Then claim it has to go.  A lot of development has taken place but it’s not them.  Very few of their promises have been kept.  

that said… I am one who doesn’t kind the parking lots. Like G2 says… where are we going to park?  I hate parking structures.  I am mad that UM is taking over the largest, and farthest, lot from Comerica. I could always park there for $8 in advance. 

• Like 1

Just now, oblong said:

I would argue that much of the development we see is in spite of them. Go in a mile radius around Comerica and LCA and any rot you see is their buildings.  They buy stuff. Let it sit. Then claim it has to go.  A lot of development has taken place but it’s not them.  Very few of their promises have been kept.  

that said… I am one who doesn’t kind the parking lots. Like G2 says… where are we going to park?  I hate parking structures.  I am mad that UM is taking over the largest, and farthest, lot from Comerica. I could always park there for $8 in advance. 

a blue parking permit for UM lots would only cost you $781/season, if they would sell you one, which they won't.   :classic_wink:

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

a blue parking permit for UM lots would only cost you $781/season, if they would sell you one, which they won't.   :classic_wink:

My son is at the Ilitch Business school. The parking pass there is 50% more than WSU main campus. And…. When there’s an event going on at LCA…. He has to fight that traffic and sometimes it fills up. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

My son is at the Ilitch Business school. The parking pass there is 50% more than WSU main campus. And…. When there’s an event going on at LCA…. He has to fight that traffic and sometimes it fills up. 

If it’s the Ilitch Business School there has to be a way for your son to apply to a state fund who will actually pay him to use the parking pass.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dan needs to read up on the Bauer issue. During discovery they got texts from his accuser's phone that she sent to her friend explicitly laying out her plan to extort him. Videos of her next to him while he slept laughing about it. Bauer is a known world-class D-bag, and if that's a deal breaker, cool. But seeing Dan do MLB PR like this is really disappointing.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, holygoat said:

Dan needs to read up on the Bauer issue. During discovery they got texts from his accuser's phone that she sent to her friend explicitly laying out her plan to extort him. Videos of her next to him while he slept laughing about it. Bauer is a known world-class D-bag, and if that's a deal breaker, cool. But seeing Dan do MLB PR like this is really disappointing.

I don't even think the sexual assault stuff matters.   It seems like a lot of people hated him before that ever came to light.  We have a pretty young team, we don't need that poison in the locker room.  

10 hours ago, Hongbit said:

If it’s the Ilitch Business School there has to be a way for your son to apply to a state fund who will actually pay him to use the parking pass.  

When I went to school I wasn't allowed to drive or park on campus.   Only Seniors and Juniors could drive/park on campus.   So if you had a car and lived at the dorms, you had to park off-campus and walk.   If you were a Freshman or Sophomore and got caught parking on campus, you got towed and it was quite expensive to get your car back.      

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't even think the sexual assault stuff matters.   It seems like a lot of people hated him before that ever came to light.  We have a pretty young team, we don't need that poison in the locker room.  

I think that's a reasonable position. That's probably what Dan should've said, and left it at that. 

10 hours ago, holygoat said:

Yes, that was my impression of Bauer before whatever happened.

I don't know enough about the case.  Sounds like a lot of he said she said as far as I know.  I guess what surprised me is how absolutely emphatic and dismissive Dickerson was about it.  I wonder if that's his personal feeling, or if he's in the know of the Tigers' position and is throwing it out there, or maybe its both?  Or, like you said, maybe he's doing MLB's PR.

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

I guess what surprised me is how absolutely emphatic and dismissive Dickerson was about it.  I wonder if that's his personal feeling, …

I think there is roughly a 100% chance he was expressing his personal feelings. 

11 hours ago, holygoat said:

To be fair, those were claims made by Bauer’s side. You don’t know the provenance, timing or context of the texts or video.

• Like 3