2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

On 3/16/2024 at 12:11 PM, Sports_Freak said:

So Colt Keith has been named the Tigers 2024 starting 2nd baseman. Good luck, young man.

Wow, Hinch actually named a starter at one position? I was expecting something like "Colt is going play a lot of 2B, but you could also see him at 3B and we are working him out in LF this spring."  

• Haha 1

Projecting a little bit here…

Skubal has been named the opening day starter, deservedly so. If Hinch and company stay with the same order that they’ve been using in the spring with Skubal at the top, it would roll out as:

Skubal-Maeda-Flahery-Mize-Manning. Olsen throwing four innings today suggests, to me, he won’t be a rotation guy out of the gate. Things may change but that’s where it stands today. 

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Projecting a little bit here…

Skubal has been named the opening day starter, deservedly so. If Hinch and company stay with the same order that they’ve been using in the spring with Skubal at the top, it would roll out as:

Skubal-Maeda-Flahery-Mize-Manning. Olsen throwing four innings today suggests, to me, he won’t be a rotation guy out of the gate. Things may change but that’s where it stands today. 

The guy who you might be able to pick a nit with is Mize. So far he has 7BB/10K in 10.2 IP, wth 2BB in 4IP in his last outing - if he gets the walks down the rest of the way I don't see what there will be to choose between him, Manning and Olson. But if he keeps walking guys that would give them some reason to send him to Toledo to work on his command. I suppose from a PR or maybe 'sentimental' stand point Mize may be the guy the org least wants to send down, but then again, I don't have any idea how, if at all, that kind of thing plays to Harris, and the pressure is on this year to win out of the gate.

56 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The guy who you might be able to pick a nit with is Mize. So far he has 7BB/10K in 10.2 IP, wth 2BB in 4IP in his last outing - if he gets the walks down the rest of the way I don't see what there will be to choose between him, Manning and Olson. But if he keeps walking guys that would give them some reason to send him to Toledo to work on his command. I suppose from a PR or maybe 'sentimental' stand point Mize may be the guy the org least wants to send down, but then again, I don't have any idea how, if at all, that kind of thing plays to Harris, and the pressure is on this year to win out of the gate.

Any pressure to go with Mize b/c of his draft status goes out the window to me since Harris isn’t the one who drafts him 1:1.   Not sure it would have mattered anyway but if there was an ounce of it, that fact removes it.  

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

If there is any meaningful pitching stat in Spring training, it would be walk rate.  No matter what new things a pitcher is trying to do, too many walks is always a bad sign.  

• Like 1

Mize îs clearly my # 6 but thankfully I do not make the decisions ! But I agree sending down a 1-1 who has waited 2 years to return from injury and had an arbitration"misunderstanding" takes big cahones that H&H might not have. 

Big decisions with Wentz (out of options) and Drew Anderson ( opt out clause for Asia if sent down) also coming due. Anderson has been excellent with a 15K/9 spring. Is Will Vest Toledo bound ? Faedo looks real sharp as well. We have 16 pitchers for 13 spots. Team is improving. 

On the hitters side Leonard, Kreidler and Ibanez play could make Urshela redundant. Especially with Jung charging from the rear. Progress. 

I bet Scotty's phone is buzzing loudly these days. Maybe a trade is coming and if so what do we need most added to the team ?

21 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Mize îs clearly my # 6 but thankfully I do not make the decisions ! But I agree sending down a 1-1 who has waited 2 years to return from injury and had an arbitration"misunderstanding" takes big cahones that H&H might not have. 

In Mize's favor is his velo, which I don't think has been seen consistently this good since his college days.

My guess is Olson goes down - in part because he doesn't have the modern MLB starter frame and they may doubt he would hold up a whole season starting from April. I've read various reports that he has added upwards of 25lbs to his still listed 160lbs roster weight, but even 185 makes him a relative squib to hold up throwing 95. Maeda is that size but he's a junk baller so it doesn't really count....

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

In Mize's favor is his velo, which I don't think has been seen consistently this good since his college days.

My guess is Olson goes down - in part because he doesn't have the modern MLB starter frame and they may doubt he would hold up a whole season starting from April. I've read various reports that he has added upwards of 25lbs to his still listed 160lbs roster weight, but even 185 makes him a relative squib to hold up throwing 95. Maeda is that size but he's a junk baller so it doesn't really count....

Olson has pitched 95 innings in 2019, 105 in 2021, 120 in 2022, and 140 in 2023.  I would think the plan would be to get him to around 165-170 this season.

It seems silly to think of the pitching issues we've seen in the recent past with the Tigers in maintaining a starting rotation and here we are talking about sending down a guy that pitched as well as he did in his rookie season.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Olson has pitched 95 innings in 2019, 105 in 2021, 120 in 2022, and 140 in 2023.  I would think the plan would be to get him to around 165-170 this season.

It seems silly to think of the pitching issues we've seen in the recent past with the Tigers in maintaining a starting rotation and here we are talking about sending down a guy that pitched as well as he did in his rookie season.

True, but somebody has to go, what ever reason is looking like it will be a flimsy one. It’s all provisional anyway, someone is going to blow an elbow. Not a matter of if, only when. 

I think Olson goes down for a few different reasons, yet, as others have said, just a matter of time til he is pitching in Detroit.

I am curious on what they do with Drew Anderson, guy has been impressive.

7 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

They have them.  The decision on Mize will not be dictated by his draft position.  Why would they need cahones to make that call? Who's going to go after them? People on twitter?  Are they afraid of making Mize mad?  Or his agent?  That's not how it works.

Not to be a pessimist but recent mlb history suggests that by May 1st atleast 1 of the Tigers starters will either go down with an injury or be ineffective to the point that they need to be replaced so this sorta log jam will probably work itself out in due time. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 2

So I think you can break it down along these lines - but they are all a reach:

Mize: might not be ready i.e. walk rate

Manning: tended to be inconsistent last season, when he was off he was very off. Needs to go prove he's going to lay fewer eggs

Olson: If he is sent down I think it will mostly just be that the org thinks the other two have the higher ceiling.

On the other side:

Mize is the golden child. Again we don't know if that means anything to this org or not and they may still believe in his ceiling.

Manning: the hardest to hit when he is pitching well

Olson: Highest floor?

Edited by gehringer_2

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So I think you can break it down along these lines - but they are all a reach:

Mize: might not be ready i.e. walk rate

Manning: tended to be inconsistent last season, when he was off he was very off. Needs to go prove he's going to lay fewer eggs

Olson: If he is sent down I think it will mostly just be that the org thinks the other two have the higher ceiling.

On the other side:

Mize is the golden child. Again we don't know if that means anything to this org or not and they may still believe in his ceiling.

Manning: the hardest to hit when he is pitching well

Olson: Highest floor?

I think the first side of the coin for all three is what it comes down to.  Well, actually, maybe it all boils down to Mize's readiness.  It just might be him or Olson.  

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think the first side of the coin for all three is what it comes down to.  Well, actually, maybe it all boils down to Mize's readiness.  It just might be him or Olson.  

One of the beat writers brought up the fact that Olson could miss Super Two status if he stays down in Toledo for the first couple of weeks of the season so that may also be a factor. 

28 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not to be a pessimist but recent mlb history suggests that by May 1st atleast 1 of the Tigers starters will either go down with an injury or be ineffective to the point that they need to be replaced so this sorta log jam will probably work itself out in due time. 

Hopefully, it's only one of them.

14 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

One of the beat writers brought up the fact that Olson could miss Super Two status if he stays down in Toledo for the first couple of weeks of the season so that may also be a factor. 

Here is the article that discusses Olson and potential impact of super two status on the roster decision. From today's Freep

Detroit Tigers 2024 Roster Prediction 4.o: Pitching competition is going down to the wire

Full article at the link.

Here is the section on Olson:

Something to keep in mind: Olson has 123 days of service time after making his MLB debut in June 2023, whereas Mize has two years, 111 days and Manning has two years, 98 days. The Tigers don't have anything to gain by optioning Mize and Manning, but that's not the case with Olson.

Olson is currently on the borderline for Super Two status if he stays on the major-league roster for each of the next two seasons, but if he gets optioned to Triple-A Toledo for a few weeks, he won't have any chance of qualifying for Super Two status, which is the difference between being eligible for salary arbitration three times or four times before entering free agency.

The specific cutoff date for Super Two status varies on a year-to-year basis, but in recent history, the Super Two cutoff has been as high as two years, 128 days and as low as two years, 115 days.

I bet we get some cuts tomorrow. This is kinda new since the minor league roster limit clamps are restrictive this year, but I believe tomorrow is the first day minor league players can be put on the 60-day or full season IL's, which opens up minor league roster space. As of now, the Tigers Domestic Reserve list is at it's 175 limit, and players optioned count against it. Players on NRI's already count against it, so if they are shipped out it doesn't count. Otherwise, a player optioned will have to have a corresponding minor league cut.

1 hour ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Then Olsen it will be. Rationale will be seniority ?

1 hour ago, oblong said:

They have them.  The decision on Mize will not be dictated by his draft position.  Why would they need cahones to make that call? Who's going to go after them? People on twitter?  Are they afraid of making Mize mad?  Or his agent?  That's not how it works.

Good points but it would be a hard conversation nevertheless . 

19 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Wow, Hinch actually named a starter at one position? I was expecting something like "Colt is going play a lot of 2B, but you could also see him at 3B and we are working him out in LF this spring."  

Which we probably will, anyway.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't have any sense that Mize is considered a golden child by Harris, and I would be frankly surprised to learn that Mize would go up and Olson down for that particular reason.