Detroit At Pittsburgh

buddha

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

I think everyone can agree that Goff is terrible and will not be part of the future plans.   I am confused at why they keep trotting him out there and not giving Blough a shot.  Look, I don’t think he will do any better with the talent on offense but why not try something different.   Even today with Goff banged up they still stick with him. Do not get it at all.    

When Boyle gets healthy they really need to give him a look to see if they have anything more than a backup.     I doubt that will happen though the way Campbell has his head in the sand when it comes to Goff.  

that assumes they really care if they win. Play a QB so banged up you only throw for 11 yds in a half in today's NFL and persuade me you really care if you win or lose the game as much as some other set of longer term agendas not in public view.  FB coaches are some of the greatest pitchmen going. They'll swear away any kind of reality to get to where they are really going.

3 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Did anyone tape the game or have the ability to replay it?

On the Steelers opening series - the one where the Lions were called for pass interference - I swear the Lions defensive back clearly intercepted the ball! Was I seeing things? Did the ball hit the ground and I missed it? Did anyone else notice this?

He didn't.    If he was playing for any of the other 31 teams he did, but no, he didn't.  

3 minutes ago, The Ronz said:

Did anyone tape the game or have the ability to replay it?

On the Steelers opening series - the one where the Lions were called for pass interference - I swear the Lions defensive back clearly intercepted the ball! Was I seeing things? Did the ball hit the ground and I missed it? Did anyone else notice this?

He did intercept it but the penalty negated the interception. 

15 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I think everyone can agree that Goff is terrible and will not be part of the future plans.   I am confused at why they keep trotting him out there and not giving Blough a shot.  d when it comes to Goff.  

While Goff may not be a part of the future, he may well likely be the starting QB in 2022. The second you turn your head on a #1 pick for a lifetime backup, you're stamping "no faith" on Goff's back. That's drama you don't want simmering in your locker room for a season-and-a-half.

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Because Blough is worse than Goff. I guess we all forgot 2019 when Blough had Marvin Jones and Kenny Golladay and was still worse than Goff. I trust Campbell on the dynamics of the locker room. If Campbell thinks benching Goff in favor of an inferior QB will spark the team, than do it. 

You misunderstood. I am not calling for them to give the job to Blough and make him QB1. I am calling for them to bench Goff during a game when he’s doing nothing positive and try something different.  Maybe the current version of Blough is able to give the team a spark that Goff has proven he can’t.    I am confident that the best thing for locker room dynamics at the moment is a win and the players won’t care one bit who gets benched for that to happen.  

13 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

that assumes they really care if they win. Play a QB so banged up you only throw for 11 yds in a half in today's NFL and persuade me you really care if you win or lose the game as much as some other set of longer term agendas not in public view.  FB coaches are some of the greatest pitchmen going. They'll swear away any kind of reality to get to where they are really going.

I almost added a caveat to the end of my post that said unless they are trying to tank.   Which frankly at this point would probably be the better move for the future.   

18 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

While Goff may not be a part of the future, he may well likely be the starting QB in 2022. The second you turn your head on a #1 pick for a lifetime backup, you're stamping "no faith" on Goff's back. That's drama you don't want simmering in your locker room for a season-and-a-half.

There is no faith left for Goff.  LA dumped him and the Lions soon will.  He has no future as an NFL starting QB.  

There is no way they expected him to play this poorly when they traded for him and then reworked his contract.  I know they had a plan that included him for 2022 but it doesn’t make any sense to waste more time with this guy beyond this year.   How in the world can they trot this guy out as their starter next year?  This has turned out to be an atrocious move by Holmes.   Goff is the most overpaid player in the league and Holmes must cut bait as soon as possible.   Take your medicine and move on.   

Edited by Hongbit

13 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I get that logic, but it shouldn't apply to the case of injury.  A player at any position is sat down when they are too hurt to be effective. That shouldn't be a source of controversy or jeopardize his locker-room standing.

There is no faith left for Goff.  LA dumped him and the Lions soon will.  He has no future as an NFL starting QB.  

There is no way they expected him to play this poorly when they traded for him and then reworked his contract.  I know they had a plan that included him for 2022 but it doesn’t make any sense to waste more time with this guy.   This has turned out to be an atrocious move by Holmes.   Goff is the most overpaid player in the league and Holmes must cut bait as soon as possible.   Take your medicine and move on.   

I would be all for this if they had the future QB on the roster. They have a worse QB at backup. They took on Goff to get the extra draft pick. It was worth taking a look to see if he could be the future QB. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I would be all for this if they had the future QB on the roster. They have a worse QB at backup. They took on Goff to get the extra draft pick. It was worth taking a look to see if he could be the future QB. 

I agree it was worth the look.  It hasn’t worked.  Now they need to look for an exit plan.    It would be an incredible error to stick with any plans that still include him for next year.   

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I get that logic, but it shouldn't apply to the case of injury.  A player at any position is sat down when they are too hurt to be effective. That shouldn't be a source of controversy or jeopardize his locker-room standing.

I agree. I think someone needed to step up today and said "you're hurt, we need you next week". But Goff should have then been allowed to trot out next week regardless of Blough's performance.

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why? They can still draft a QB. 

I’m talking about next year and beyond.  They can do whatever this year.  Hopefully they can win a game but it’s a lost season.   I don’t think Blough or Boyle are part of the future either but it can’t hurt to give a shot to see if they are even capable backups (Boyle more than Blough).   However they go about it either draft or bringing in a veteran placeholder is fine.   Goff can’t remain as starter in 2022.  Can you imagine how this town will react if they go into next year with Goff again.   Oh my god,  Holmes and Campbell will have lost the fanbase in 1 year.  Even Millen went longer than that.  

Edited by Hongbit

I agree it was worth the look.  It hasn’t worked.  Now they need to look for an exit plan.    It would be an incredible error to stick with any plans that still include him for next year.   

I think in the staff's mind they understand that replacing Goff is a bell that can't be un-rung. Are we 100% certain all of his struggles are his fault? Without receivers and with a banged-up offensive line, how do we think any of the premier NFL QBs would be performing if plugged onto this team? For that matter, how would Stafford be performing?

If we are not competing for a playoff spot, does it really matter how good our QB is, so long as we can get a look at all of our pieces, to know who will and won't be here when we are prepared to turn the corner?

I’m talking about next year and beyond.  They can do whatever this year.  Hopefully they can win a game but it’s a lost season.   I don’t think Blough or Boyle are part of the future either but it can’t hurt to give a shot to see if they are even capable backups.   However they go about it either draft or bringing in a veteran placeholder is fine.   Goff can’t remain as starter in 2022.  Can you imagine how this town will react if they go into next year with Goff again.   Oh my god,  Holmes and Campbell will have lost the fanbase in 1 year.  Even Millen went longer than that.  

I would look to draft my QB and go into next year with Goff as the starter. 

2 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Goff can’t remain as starter in 2022.  Can you imagine how this town will react if they go into next year with Goff again.   Oh my god,  Holmes and Campbell will have lost the fanbase in 1 year.  Even Millen went longer than that.  

I disagree.

If he's performing at this same level next year, I may feel this way about 2023, and may be more on the "let's see (backup)" bus. But I have enough patience to know that we are still filling the crater left behind by Quintricia, let alone to be ready to starting building on top of it.

1 minute ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I think in the staff's mind they understand that replacing Goff is a bell that can't be un-rung. Are we 100% certain all of his struggles are his fault? Without receivers and with a banged-up offensive line, how do we think any of the premier NFL QBs would be performing if plugged onto this team? For that matter, how would Stafford be performing?

If we are not competing for a playoff spot, does it really matter how good our QB is, so long as we can get a look at all of our pieces, to know who will and won't be here when we are prepared to turn the corner?

People are talking about giving Houston 3 1st round picks for Watson and he only won 4 games with arguably more talent than this Lions team. It just shows that you need talent. It's not all Goff. 

Just now, Hongbit said:

Either draft one or find one already in the league.   We all know that Goff isn’t the future at QB so it makes no sense to waste another year of the rebuild with him starting.   

Goff isn't preventing the Lions from drafting a QB. What QB, besides Watson, is available in the league that would be the future QB?