Detroit At Pittsburgh

buddha

55 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I almost added a caveat to the end of my post that said unless they are trying to tank.   Which frankly at this point would probably be the better move for the future.   

It's not like they have a whole lot of competition here... Houston has 1 win and the Jaguars and Jets have 2 wins...

I don't think we'll get 2 wins, and we'll be lucky to even nab 1 against Chicago...

47 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There is no faith left for Goff.  LA dumped him and the Lions soon will.  He has no future as an NFL starting QB.  

There is no way they expected him to play this poorly when they traded for him and then reworked his contract.  I know they had a plan that included him for 2022 but it doesn’t make any sense to waste more time with this guy beyond this year.   How in the world can they trot this guy out as their starter next year?  This has turned out to be an atrocious move by Holmes.   Goff is the most overpaid player in the league and Holmes must cut bait as soon as possible.   Take your medicine and move on.   

Errr...

Goff will be the starter in 2022, and maybe even in 2023... until we draft a QB and that QB is ready to take over the starting spot. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

In 2019, Blough was 0-5 with a 54% completion, more INTs than TDs, and had actual NFL caliber receivers. What am I missing here?

Health.

That's really the ONLY reason to have Blough play a game (today or next week or otherwise) while Goff sits.

On that basis, I agree with the confusion over Campbell not sitting Goff for one game when he was clearly at much less than 100%.

Maybe Campbell was trying to establish Goff's toughness? For locker room purposes?

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Goff at QB makes perfect sense for a rebuilding team. What exactly is being wasted?

This is exactly how I felt before the season.  I thought he was better than he has turned out to be.   Not sure what happened but this guy has lost it.  He has regressed to a point that he’s not a capable starting NFL QB.   He is completely immobile in the pocket.  He may be the biggest statue in the league back there.  He has a hard time holding the ball when hit and fumbles too often.  He fails to look down the field at all and throws a very poor long ball in the few times that he has let it go.  Even his accuracy on short balls that NFL qbs make 99% of the time have been suspect.  He panics under pressure and makes terrible decisions in crunch time.    The only positive thing is that his height makes it so that his passes are rarely deflected.  This is not the same guy that took the Rams to the Super Bowl.   

Edited by Hongbit
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Ronz said:

Did anyone tape the game or have the ability to replay it?

On the Steelers opening series - the one where the Lions were called for pass interference - I swear the Lions defensive back clearly intercepted the ball! Was I seeing things? Did the ball hit the ground and I missed it? Did anyone else notice this?

He did, but it was PI.

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Goff at QB makes perfect sense for a rebuilding team. What exactly is being wasted?

Okay, I get that.  Picking at #1 is great because you get the QB you are in love with, or you trade it for 3 or 4 picks and still get players you want and need, but - you can't go winless in your first year of a regime,  You just can't.   2-14-1 is a whole lot better than 0-16-1.    And the way Goff & the WRs are playing, they could go winless and that's why it's bothering so many people.   They should have 3 wins now, if their QB was only a little bit better.  

The defense is bad, but they play their asses off and as rocky as the first drive or two seem to be for the defense, they really seem to correct it most weeks.   They give the offense the opportunity to win, and they just can't.  Not all on Goff, but a big part of it is.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

Luckily the forums wouldn’t load for me for the 4th quarter or OT or I would look as crazy as TP.  That being said I was ready to fire Campbell when he called timeouts on the Steelers last possession in OT.  That was crazy stupid.  Luckily it worked out in the end when a stupid Mason Rudolph threw the ball inbounds to a receiver with like 10 seconds left and no timeouts who fumbled!  Thank f-ing god Roethisberger was out today or it would have been a bloodbath.

Edited by sagnam

the lions dont have to draft a qb next year.  however, jared goff cannot be their starting qb going into next season.

sign marcus mariota.  sign jameis.  sign some stop gap player.  but it cannot be goff.  goff is at the point where he's not even a viable nfl backup qb anymore.  he is god awful.  they cannot go with goff next season in any capacity, i dont care what the cap hit is, he has to be cut.

• Like 1

I have to wonder if Goff has been dealing with some injury most of the year. I mean it's not like he looked like Tom Brady the first couple weeks but he atleast looked like a bottom tier NFL starter, he made some good throws(particularly in the first half of the GB game) but also some dumb mistakes that overshadowed them. 

The last 5 or 6 weeks though he looks completely hopeless, like he doesn't even look capable of being a back up. It's just hard for me to imagine a player could possibly regress that much without some sorta injury. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

I have to wonder if Goff has been dealing with some injury most of the year. I mean it's not like he looked like Tom Brady the first couple weeks but he atleast looked like a bottom tier NFL starter, he made some good throws(particularly in the first half of the GB game) but also some dumb mistakes that overshadowed them. 

The last 5 or 6 weeks though he looks completely hopeless, like he doesn't even look capable of being a back up. It's just hard for me to imagine a player could possibly regress that much without some sorta injury. 

he is a bad player and now plays on a team with no receivers and little talent.

unlike our previous qb, he's not good enough to make it happen on his own.

again, i dont get the anger at campbell.  this team has ZERO ability to pass the ball.  none.  they have no receivers and one of the worst qbs in football.  other teams know that.

and still, they came in and ran the ball all over a really good steelers defense.  even with zero passing.  they got decker back and used nelson as a 6th olineman/tight end.  the whole team is one dimensional and they still rushed for over 200 yards.  that's a good thing.  

this team has zero talent and lost some of its better players to injury again today.  it was a good effort in horrible conditions.  

my only quibble is still playing goff.   not because he was somehow to hurt to throw downfield, but rather because he is just incapable of playing qb at an nfl level anymore.  if boyle is remotely healthy, he HAS to play.  has to.  goff just isnt an nfl player anymore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

and the fact that deshawn watson "only" won 4 games with that houston team doesnt mean watson isnt an awesome qb, it means houston is a god awful franchise that arguably has less talent than detroit.

i dont think the lions should trade the farm for deshawn watson, but if they could get him on their team, he would instantly make the lions a much better team.  much much better.

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

not exactly comparable but we remember Scott Mitchell had a season that made us all think we had QB locked down for a decade. He then spent the next two seasons turning into a pumpkin (not to mention one his own linemen came to hate!). So we've seen QBs regress. Who knows why?

Edited by gehringer_2

9 hours ago, buddha said:

again, i dont get the anger at campbell.  this team has ZERO ability to pass the ball.  none.  they have no receivers and one of the worst qbs in football.  other teams know that.

and still, they came in and ran the ball all over a really good steelers defense.  even with zero passing.  they got decker back and used nelson as a 6th olineman/tight end.  the whole team is one dimensional and they still rushed for over 200 yards.  that's a good thing.  

this team has zero talent and lost some of its better players to injury again today.  it was a good effort in horrible conditions.  

my only quibble is still playing goff.   not because he was somehow to hurt to throw downfield, but rather because he is just incapable of playing qb at an nfl level anymore.  if boyle is remotely healthy, he HAS to play.  has to.  goff just isnt an nfl player anymore.

Nelson was remarkable yesterday.  Sewell had, I think, his best game as a pro. Decker was okay coming back from injury, but Goff, as you said, is a statue.  Almost as bad as Goff, is that this team repeatedly shoots itself in the foot. Goff FINALLY completes a pass, gets us inside the 30 - Holding, which backs us up 10 yards, making it a 49 yarder instead of 39.  Obviously with the duck he floated up there it wouldn't have mattered, but who's to say that would have happened at a different spot in the field. 

18 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

I’ve never seen a coach fail a team as much as Campbell is failing the lions right now.   This is inexcusable.  What a low point.  

lol. This and the Jefferson "is better than any RB on the roster and it's not even close" posts makes me wonder if you post purely for satire because these takes can't be for real.

Looking ahead to next week, I think this is another game that we could potentially steal. Cleveland has been hot or cold depending on the week, some weeks they look like a Super Bowl contender others like they should be picking at the top of the draft.

Of course they looked like the latter yesterday which means they will probably look like the Super Bowl contender against us but lets hope they can string together another bad week and we can finally win a game. There isn't a whole lot more on the schedule that looked doable.