Bold Predictions for 2024

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

The Tigers will be in first place for more than 90 days this season.

It's bold, but it wouldn't surprise me.... this division isn't the best, and this team is a lot better than in years past.

As far as bold predictions go, I think the league / national set (outside of maybe Pitching Ninja) hasn't quite caught onto how good the starting pitching staff is in Detroit, and by the end of the season, that will change. I wouldn't be surprised if they are Top 5-10 material

Edited by mtutiger

4 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

for one random Tuesday game this August, every player AJ uses on the 1st place Tigers will have been acquired by Avila - which will enrage certain people.

I’m not sure which sin is worse.  Admitting that Avila might have actually made one or two decent moves during his failed tenure or acknowledging that Baez’ defense is still beneficial to the Tigers even though the contract is a net negative.

16 hours ago, mtutiger said:

It's bold, but it wouldn't surprise me.... this division isn't the best, and this team is a lot better than in years past.

As far as bold predictions go, I think the league / national set (outside of maybe Pitching Ninja) hasn't quite caught onto how good the starting pitching staff is in Detroit, and by the end of the season, that will change. I wouldn't be surprised if they are Top 5-10 material

First time in a while I can remember the Tigers' whole rotation getting drafted in our draft...

On 3/20/2024 at 3:07 PM, bobrob2004 said:

Some of these will contradict my other predictions, but oh well.

Parker Meadows will steal over 40 bases. 

Jake Rogers will hit 25 or more home runs.

Shelby Miller will end up being the closer with over 30 saves.

Riley Greene will be a below average hitter.

Colt Keith and Matt Manning will get sent to AAA at some point due to poor performances. 

Jace Jung will take over for 3B by September after the release of Gio Urshela.

Ty Madden will make his ML debut this year and make at least 10 starts due to injuries to other pitchers.

Tarik Skubal will win the Cy Young Award.  

Hey, one of my predictions already happened!  

• Like 2

I’d like to think the Tigers have a good shot at the playoffs.  And I know a lot of folks like the pitching and the deeper collection of starters as opposed to last year.  The thing that worries me about he starters, tough, is what happens if the inevitable attrition occurs too quickly, and they struggle to cover starts?  It’s easy to say they have enough arms to cover 800-825 innings over 162 starts.  But they’ve got to ensure that the reserves in AAA that get called up have enough innings to spare when they do emerge from Toledo.  In other words, it’s good to have Manning, and Gipson-Long, and Flores, et al in Toledo.  But they’re ramping up innings season over season as they progress level upon level.  So if they’re needed to pitch MLB innings, the Tigers are going to need to monitor the minor league action to have those innings available.  I guess I’m a bit concerned about the durability of the depth, if that makes sense.