*OPENING DAY 2024* 3/28/24 4:10PM EDT Detroit Tigers @ Chicago White Sox

10 hours ago, oblong said:

****.  Didn’t think of that. I live in Dearborn and finding halal hot dogs could be a good thing. Is that cheating?  It’ would be beef. Maybe it is cheating.  The hot dogs are the bad part.

I’m not sure 9 12 ounce cans of blue light or Miller High Life would do me in.  I have consumed that much beer at a game a few times back in the “good old days”.   It’s been probably 10 years. 

The wife bought hot dog buns.  She knows what’s up.  We always have some Johnsonville brats on hand in the freezer.  The grill is ready for use.  I found some Zywiec beer the other day whilst looking for Bell’s Oberon Eclipse (which is probably gone by now).  So, I think dinner for tonight is set.

I could cheat and cut the brats up into 9 pieces and portion out the 16oz cans into the little kid size cups that we still have around for some reason.  Maybe if I were watching the 10 minute condensed game recap on MLB it would suffice?

18 minutes ago, casimir said:

It’s probably true.  If I get one, it’s usually before the game starts.  At a Hens game, I can watch the action while in line, so, nothing really lost there.

Crud, now that I think about it, I think the last Tiger game that I’ve been to was 2019.  That’s friggin’ whack.

Since they built the new outdoor concourse ringing the outside of the ballpark here, and my seats are literally last row right in front of the walkway to it, it's super easy to run to the bathroom, or run to get a beer, and get back before first pitch of the next half-inning. It's one of the few really good things the Cubs have done for that ballpark.

13 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Peter Gammons on the Tigers bandwagon 

I think it's pretty easy to tell the difference between who among the nationals have been paying attention to what the Tigers have been doing (Gammons, Joel Sherman), and who have not (Jim Bowden, MLB Network chuckleheads).

37 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Hey, maybe that's why there are no games starting before 3pm local in any market.

EDIT: D'oh! Tomorrow is Good Friday, not today!

but for me today is Friday... so i see the confusion.

• Like 1

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Stop making people bootleg it.  It's a stupid business model.  Nobody else is doing this for a reason. 

TBH, no one is making people bootleg MLB or the NFL or the MMA or the NBA

MLB.tv is $150 a year and includes Milb games.

Their subscriptions continue to increase as does the NFL's.

The blackout rules, from my understanding, is the result of each team making deals with their local cable provider to broadcast games.  Bally's, or whoever it is, pays the team $XX Million a year and that agreement states that anybody in that market that wants to watch that team has to subscribe to Bally's.  Otherwise baseball fans could just get MLB.TV and cut Bally's out of the loop, not to mention that money goes to MLB and not the local team. Bally's and the others are paying so much money to the local team to ensure that is not allow that to happen.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, oblong said:

The blackout rules, from my understanding, is the result of each team making deals with their local cable provider to broadcast games.  Bally's, or whoever it is, pays the team $XX Million a year and that agreement states that anybody in that market that wants to watch that team has to subscribe to Bally's.  Otherwise baseball fans could just get MLB.TV and cut Bally's out of the loop, not to mention that money goes to MLB and not the local team. Bally's and the others are paying so much money to the local team to ensure that is not allow that to happen.

Right, Manfred couldn't just wave a magic wand and make blackouts go away, even if that's what he wanted to do.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Since they built the new outdoor concourse ringing the outside of the ballpark here, and my seats are literally last row right in front of the walkway to it, it's super easy to run to the bathroom, or run to get a beer, and get back before first pitch of the next half-inning. It's one of the few really good things the Cubs have done for that ballpark.

I’m glad I was lucky enough to do the roof top thing before the views were blocked.  Even better, work paid for it.

1 hour ago, SkyBlue said:

TBH, no one is making people bootleg MLB or the NFL or the MMA or the NBA

MLB.tv is $150 a year and includes Milb games.

Their subscriptions continue to increase as does the NFL's.

I live in NE Indiana and even if I pay for MLB.tv Tigers would be blacked out. Luckily I can get Bally Det on Directv stream

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Tigers have an early season schedule that isn't too difficult. They play their first 11 games against non-playoff teams. A good team would win at least 7 of them. No excuses for another bad start.

That's the thing.  They can't repeat the last 3 years.   Even if they had a tough schedule   9-24, 9-23, 2-9.   Can't do that anymore.   Then I start to question whether Hinch is the right guy.     Can't be out of it by May 15th again.   Just can't.   Winning a bunch when there is nothing to play for is just empty calories. 

• Like 1