*OPENING DAY 2024* 3/28/24 4:10PM EDT Detroit Tigers @ Chicago White Sox

I love that the season is starting, and especially this season, when there is so much more hope for the sustainable future of this franchise than at any other time in my lifetime.

I don't love that the season is starting on a Thursday. I believe baseball season should start on a Monday and end on a Sunday. That Monday should be a practical national holiday. They can make it happen by adding three off days to the season, which the players should like and the fans wouldn't mind so much. This year, they could have started it on April 1, and ended it on October 6.

I love least of all that Opening Day is on Sweet Sixteen Thursday, and that the sports world will be focused on basketball instead of baseball. Again, Opening Day should be basically a national holiday, but at the very least, baseball should have the whole day to itself. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, Manfred.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I love that the season is starting, and especially this season, when there is so much more hope for the sustainable future of this franchise than at any other time in my lifetime.

I don't love that the season is starting on a Thursday. I believe baseball season should start on a Monday and end on a Sunday. That Monday should be a practical national holiday. They can make it happen by adding three off days to the season, which the players should like and the fans wouldn't mind so much. This year, they could have started it on April 1, and ended it on October 6.

I love least of all that Opening Day is on Sweet Sixteen Thursday, and that the sports world will be focused on basketball instead of baseball. Again, Opening Day should be basically a national holiday, but at the very least, baseball should have the whole day to itself. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot, Manfred.

Agree, the Thursday start is odd.  I don't know if MLB is blindly following the NFL lead with starting the season on a Thursday.  If so, it just doesn't seem to translate.  Or maybe they're creating the schedule based on whatever ending Sunday is on the calendar and working backwards?  I don't know.

As far as competition with the NCAA, I think that is just an coincidence with the calendar this year?  I think the NCAA tourney is running late.  I'm pretty MLB has opened on championship Monday before.  I suppose once the NCAA goes to 96 teams and March Madness goes more into April, MLB would have more of a late March / early April Monday all to itself.

Haven’t baseball seasons started on Thursdays forever? Or maybe I’m just remembering home openers. Opener on Thursday, off day on Friday in case you have to re-schedule the opener for weather. I do call some seasons kicking off in Cincinnati on Sunday night and then rest of the league Monday or Tuesday, but I think that was quite awhile ago. 

2 hours ago, GoBlue23 said:

The new scoreboard not having 4 sides is really triggering my undiagnosed OCD.  

Yeah looks weird not being 4 sided but my ocd has been bothered by the whole scoreboard since the place opened. Having the left field bleachers over hang part of it has always bugged me, feels like the scoreboard should be atleast 20ft more towards centerfield so that would've been avoided. 

43 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Having the left field bleachers over hang part of it has always bugged me, feels like the scoreboard should be atleast 20ft more towards centerfield so that would've been avoided. 

I have a recollection that somewhere I've read that was was actually a construction mistake. That the towers for the scoreboard were not located correctly but that it was too late to fix by the time it was recognized  -- but I can't find a reference - so maybe just urban myth.

43 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah looks weird not being 4 sided but my ocd has been bothered by the whole scoreboard since the place opened. Having the left field bleachers over hang part of it has always bugged me, feels like the scoreboard should be atleast 20ft more towards centerfield so that would've been avoided. 

That always did seem goofy.  But did it cover the actual video board or did it just cover the stationary advertisements?

That’s the thing that always bugged me about the scoreboard.  It was a giant thing in its totality, but it was covered by permanent advertising around its perimeter.  The actual video board always seemed small in proportion to the whole scoreboard.

I suppose it was still an upgrade over the Tiger Stadium scoreboard.  Gosh, I can remember they broadcast an episode of “This Week in Baseball” during one pregame.  On one hand, it was so cool to see the show on that big of a TV.  On the other hand, seeing it in sepia tone was a bit of a bummer.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

I have a recollection that somewhere I've read that was was actually a construction mistake. That the towers for the scoreboard were not located correctly but that it was too late to fix by the time it was recognized  -- but I can't find a reference - so maybe just urban myth.

I think I recall hearing that as well.  For some reason I think I remember sarcastically saying they should just move the stands since they couldn’t move the scoreboard towers.

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think I recall hearing that as well.  For some reason I think I remember sarcastically saying they should just move the stands since they couldn’t move the scoreboard towers.

I'm pretty sure someone here posted an article about that, or maybe at the old site.

57 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Juan Gonzalez wanted it moved over 20’ like you suggest. Mr. I said no, Juan stormed out and the rest is history.

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

Yeah I vaguely remember hearing about the construction mistake and I thought along the similar lines of just doing something with the stands instead. Admittedly I know nothing about things like this so I don't know how expensive or feasible it would be to just get rid of that last section of seats that overhang it that really blocks the bottom left hand corner of the scoreboard. It doesn't appear to be more than like a 100 seats so to me atleast it doesn't seem like it would be that big of deal to do. 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah I vaguely remember hearing about the construction mistake and I thought along the similar lines of just doing something with the stands instead. Admittedly I know nothing about things like this so I don't know how expensive or feasible it would be to just get rid of that last section of seats that overhang it that really blocks the bottom left hand corner of the scoreboard. It doesn't appear to be more than like a 100 seats so to me atleast it doesn't seem like it would be that big of deal to do. 

Measure twice, cut once.

6 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Haven’t baseball seasons started on Thursdays forever? Or maybe I’m just remembering home openers. Opener on Thursday, off day on Friday in case you have to re-schedule the opener for weather. I do call some seasons kicking off in Cincinnati on Sunday night and then rest of the league Monday or Tuesday, but I think that was quite awhile ago. 

That never made sense to me. Have Sunday as an off-day in case one of the 3 days gets canceled. I remember one year, it was beautiful on the Friday off-day. And then miserable on Saturday and Sunday