Jump to content

*OPENING DAY 2024* 3/28/24 4:10PM EDT Detroit Tigers @ Chicago White Sox


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

That never made sense to me. Have Sunday as an off-day in case one of the 3 days gets canceled. I remember one year, it was beautiful on the Friday off-day. And then miserable on Saturday and Sunday 

That makes sense but I wonder if the owners preferred the off day being on Friday while school is in session vs. a Sunday? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

But isn't this Sunday Easter? Family time, not time for a summer game.

I gave my family October through almost all of March.  I’ll report back to them again in (hopefully very late) October.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, casimir said:

I think I recall hearing that as well.  For some reason I think I remember sarcastically saying they should just move the stands since they couldn’t move the scoreboard towers.

as a surveyor thats a design mistake we just tell em where designer told us where it goes 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Tigers have opened at home on Good Friday a number of times. I know this because it’s an issue with eating meat for some.  

Yes.  Pope Frank has given the go ahead for Opening Day hot dogs in the past.  Just reschedule the abstinence to another day of that week and it’s cool.

Edited by casimir
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I have a recollection that somewhere I've read that was was actually a construction mistake. That the towers for the scoreboard were not located correctly but that it was too late to fix by the time it was recognized  -- but I can't find a reference - so maybe just urban myth.

I remembervthey took the Tigers off the scoreboard (for some reason) and they were full of water. It may have been dangerous?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Honestly the new rules that were implemented made the 9/9/9 even harder.

****.  Didn’t think of that. I live in Dearborn and finding halal hot dogs could be a good thing. Is that cheating?  It’ would be beef. Maybe it is cheating.  The hot dogs are the bad part.
 

I’m not sure 9 12 ounce cans of blue light or Miller High Life would do me in.  I have consumed that much beer at a game a few times back in the “good old days”.   It’s been probably 10 years. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, oblong said:

****.  Didn’t think of that. I live in Dearborn and finding halal hot dogs could be a good thing. Is that cheating?  It’ would be beef. Maybe it is cheating.  The hot dogs are the bad part.
 

I’m not sure 9 12 ounce cans of blue light or Miller High Life would do me in.  I have consumed that much beer at a game a few times back in the “good old days”.   It’s been probably 10 years. 

Yeah, the good old days were almost 50 years ago now, but I was found in the bushes outside my university residence building, early on a Sunday morning, after having bought and consumed a lot of beer at the folk club on Saturday night,  The legend was that it was 20 but realistically probably only 14.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Hey Rob Manfred,  try to do something right.  END THE BLACKOUT RULES.    No other sports are doing this anymore.  

Just bootleg it, plenty of options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

That never made sense to me. Have Sunday as an off-day in case one of the 3 days gets canceled. I remember one year, it was beautiful on the Friday off-day. And then miserable on Saturday and Sunday 

The next day is off because season tickets are sooo much more expensive. Nobody wants to then go to game 3 after paying game 1 prices. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Tork and Javy going 4 for 4 on opening day would prove how meaningless ST stats are. Of course, if they strike out 6 times, we can say we saw that coming...lmao

Javy has gone 4-for-4 exactly three times in his 1,142-game career.

image.png.cb265de96b9548c9f754d8212fe2d9c2.png

I don't know what the expected number of 4-for-4s would be by a guy who's played that many games, but at first blush, it seems low.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, casimir said:

I gave my family October through almost all of March.  I’ll report back to them again in (hopefully very late) October.

You mean November!

Come on, man, aim high! 😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, oblong said:

Tigers have opened at home on Good Friday a number of times. I know this because it’s an issue with eating meat for some.  

Hey, maybe that's why there are no games starting before 3pm local in any market.

EDIT: D'oh! Tomorrow is Good Friday, not today!

Edited by chasfh
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, casimir said:

Indeed.  It isn’t the aging metabolism and the lack of tolerance.  It’s the pitch clock.

Funny you say because my wife and I were talking to a woman at a game last season who said she hated the new pitch timer specially because it did not give her enough time to go get a beer in between innings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Funny you say because my wife and I were talking to a woman at a game last season who said she hated the new pitch timer specially because it did not give her enough time to go get a beer in between innings.

It’s probably true.  If I get one, it’s usually before the game starts.  At a Hens game, I can watch the action while in line, so, nothing really lost there.

Crud, now that I think about it, I think the last Tiger game that I’ve been to was 2019.  That’s friggin’ whack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...