2024 MLB Thread

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Scouring the box score and I noticed that Buck Farmer is STILL pitching in the big leagues with the Reds, out of curiosity I clicked on his profile and I was shocked to learn that he is only 33 years old. Jeez did we call him up when he was 16 or something? Feels like he has been around forever and should be alot older. 

He's getting better with age.  He finally got his career ERA under 5.00

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Didn't he have, like, a really good ERA away from Detroit and then stink at home when he pitched for the Tigers?

No, he stunk at home and on the road:

5.55 home

5.15 away

People kept telling me he was good though!

17 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

No, he stunk at home and on the road:

5.55 home

5.15 away

People kept telling me he was good though!

I never said he was good. I used to really dislike seeing him come into the game. Also, I was pleased when we released him. I saw him this year and his ERA, at the time, was low. I was astonished. 

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I never said he was good. I used to really dislike seeing him come into the game. Also, I was pleased when we released him. I saw him this year and his ERA, at the time, was low. I was astonished. 

I was not referring to you.  I don't ever remember anyone in particular.  I just remember people talking about him like he was a key piece in the bullpen.  Of course, they usually had bad bullpens when he was on the team.  

8 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I was not referring to you.  I don't ever remember anyone in particular.  I just remember people talking about him like he was a key piece in the bullpen.  Of course, they usually had bad bullpens when he was on the team.  

Yeah, it was always a weakness under DD. He spent and tried to build a decent BP but it never seemed to work out. Bullpen usage is one of the hardest things to do in today's game. I remember fans getting all over Leyland for his use of arms. Like, what was he supposed to do?

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Am I missing something here?

I just read a headline on Yahoo Sports that Paul Skenes delivered and lived up to the hype in his first start. 

4 IP

6 H

2 BB

7 K

3 ER

That's an ERA 6.75 and WHIP of 2.00.  

What's great about that?    

He had given up only a single run when taken out, but relievers walked in two inherited runners with the bases loaded.

He also got a ****-ton of swing and miss and threw something like 17 pitches at 100+.

43 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

but I thought it was only the Tigers getting bad calls ... because everyone hates them

I have to think the wide zone is driving down scoring. I don't think is was any accident that in the Yankees series there were almost no runs scored in the two games where the K zone was 30" wide while the one game with a normal zone generated a dozen runs.

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I wonder if they need to think about making catchers framing the ball illegal.    

Framing may matter at the the top/bottom of the zone, but any umpire worth his salt should not be influenced by where the mitt ends up inside/outside - he should have the line of the pitch judged before it's in the glove and it's mostly the outside pitch that umps are giving away - so I don't really think it's framing. I agree framing probably makes life harder for the ump, and when they first started doing it I remember saying the umps should tell the catcher that if he has to move the ball after catching it I'm just assuming it must have been a ball. That would have put an end to framing before it ever got off the ground. Water under the proverbial bridge today....

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Framing may matter at the the top/bottom of the zone, but any umpire worth his salt should not be influenced by where the mitt ends up inside/outside - he should have the line of the pitch judged before it's in the glove and it's mostly the outside pitch that umps are giving away - so I don't really think it's framing. I agree framing probably makes life harder for the ump, and when they first started doing it I remember saying the umps should tell the catcher that if he has to move the ball after catching it I'm just assuming it must have been a ball. That would have put an end to framing before it ever got off the ground. Water under the proverbial bridge today....

I agree it shouldn’t matter but look at the video above as well this one from last month below.  Lots of terrible misses on the outside.    These catchers have gotten so good at framing that it’s hard to see them move the glove.  It happens in a blink of an eye and the ump is easily misled. 

42 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I agree it shouldn’t matter but look at the video above as well this one from last month below.  Lots of terrible misses on the outside.    These catchers have gotten so good at framing that it’s hard to see them move the glove.  It happens in a blink of an eye and the ump is easily misled. 

I'm sure some are more than others - which is the problem. But you also see umps not give away the outside and it's the same catchers behind the dish, so there is certainly an ability level to not being conned.

21 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm sure some are more than others - which is the problem. But you also see umps not give away the outside and it's the same catchers behind the dish, so there is certainly an ability level to not being conned.

There are multiple Twitter feeds devoted to nothing but missed umpire calls.  It’s crazy looking at how many different umps get highlighted nightly.  It’s not just a few guys that are the problem.  It’s almost all of them.  It’s gotten so bad that only a few guys aren’t missing multiple big calls every time they get behind the plate.  

45 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There are multiple Twitter feeds devoted to nothing but missed umpire calls.  It’s crazy looking at how many different umps get highlighted nightly.  It’s not just a few guys that are the problem.  It’s almost all of them.  It’s gotten so bad that only a few guys aren’t missing multiple big calls every time they get behind the plate.  

the thing is, the league is completely aware - all the data goes to the league, so you have to believe this is what the league wants. I can't imagine why, but it is what it is. If the Umps were being rung up for these zones in their internal evals, they wouldn't be calling them out there. And the give away is that it's not just misses at random, it's giving away the outside pitch in particular, so I don't believe it's general incompetence, though there is plenty of that. We are getting somebody's idea what they want.