2024 MLB Thread

15 hours ago, kdog said:

Captain America defending democracy:

I got chills when he started wagging his finger.  That was like when Hulk Hogan was losing but suddenly got that look on his face and he started exhaling and you just knew he was about to pound the opposition upside the head five times, through him off the ropes, pick him up, body slam him and then go to the atomic leg drop as the finisher.

Tough first week for Jackson Holliday.  The kid is only 20, so its not a surprise.  But given all of the hullaballoo about starting the season in AAA, its probably not how anyone envisioned the debut week.

4 hours ago, casimir said:

Tough first week for Jackson Holliday.  The kid is only 20, so its not a surprise.  But given all of the hullaballoo about starting the season in AAA, its probably not how anyone envisioned the debut week.

TBF, not many twenty-year-olds can get promoted to the big leagues and immediately rake. Even Willie Mays was reduced to tears in the first couple weeks of his big league career.

• Like 1

Fun Fact: among players who debuted before their 21st birthday, Ty Cobb and Willie Mays both had a lower OPS in their first ten career games, minimum 25 PA, than Tim Foli, Aurelio Rodriguez, Danny Ainge, Rene Lachemann, and Fernando Vanenzuela.

21 hours ago, chasfh said:

TBF, not many twenty-year-olds can get promoted to the big leagues and immediately rake. Even Willie Mays was reduced to tears in the first couple weeks of his big league career.

I don't doubt Holliday can be great in the long run.  Its just there seemed to be an air of assumed success upon his call up.  Sometimes it just doesn't work that way.  Willie Mays and his own frustration at himself is probably the most famous story of this.

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

I don't doubt Holliday can be great in the long run.  Its just there seemed to be an air of assumed success upon his call up.  Sometimes it just doesn't work that way.  Willie Mays and his own frustration at himself is probably the most famous story of this.

Not everybody can be Stephen Strasburgesque when they first come up. But then, look what happened to him.

The hype machine is always histrionic, although it has seemed to kick up a notch of late. I'm sure there's a promotional/revenue component in there somewhere.

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

JV is back! He won his season debut last night. Do we think he has a legit shot at 300 wins?

Forty-two more wins and he's 41 years old now and getting injured every year now? I don't. Which only means he'll do it.

20 hours ago, chasfh said:

Forty-two more wins and he's 41 years old now and getting injured every year now? I don't. Which only means he'll do it.

Age, injuries and the difficulty of pitching enough innings to get a win makes it a steep climb. If anyone can do that its Verlander.

• Like 2

On 4/19/2024 at 9:25 AM, chasfh said:

Not everybody can be Stephen Strasburgesque when they first come up. But then, look what happened to him.

The hype machine is always histrionic, although it has seemed to kick up a notch of late. 

The MLB page is ridiculous with constant hypothetical projections and ‘what ifs’ on a daily basis. I pretty much gave up on the stuff. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The MLB page is ridiculous with constant hypothetical projections and ‘what ifs’ on a daily basis. I pretty much gave up on the stuff. 

They’re trying to get readers to buy the jerseys.

12 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Got the MLB survey today. Under the "What one thing needs to be done", I wanted to lead with 'Fire Angel Hernandez' but settled for "deaden the damn ball". 

I get those on and off. When they ask for my age up front on the survey, I’m a realist, my age flashes DISCARD 🚮 

The 2024 Chicago White Sox:

• 3-18 through 21 games (Last in MLB)
  • Averaging 2.15 runs per game (Last in MLB)
  • Allowing 5.55 runs per game (Last in MLB)
  • Team OPS of 0.552 (Last in MLB)
  • Team FIP of 5.10 (Last in MLB)

Is that bad???

45 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The 2024 Chicago White Sox:

• 3-18 through 21 games (Last in MLB)
  • Averaging 2.15 runs per game (Last in MLB)
  • Allowing 5.55 runs per game (Last in MLB)
  • Team OPS of 0.552 (Last in MLB)
  • Team FIP of 5.10 (Last in MLB)

Is that bad???

Shouldn't be hard to get cheap tickets.