2024 MLB Thread

19 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Will the White Sox finish with a worse record than the 2003 Tigers?   1962 Mets?  

Games 25 thru 45 for the 2003 Tigers below:

image.thumb.png.80d87da136844cab88052522960e853d.png

Had themselves a nice 4 game winning streak after starting 3-25.... mostly at the expense of the O's

On 4/25/2024 at 4:00 PM, mtutiger said:

Games 25 thru 45 for the 2003 Tigers below:

image.thumb.png.80d87da136844cab88052522960e853d.png

Had themselves a nice 4 game winning streak after starting 3-25.... mostly at the expense of the O's

The White Sox have only played 3 games against teams below 500 and won all three. They have room to normalize up. OTOH, the Royals are 5-10 against winning teams. Unfortunately, Cle is 11-7

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

The AL has 9 teams at .500 or above and the AL Central has 4 of them, the White Sox being the only sub-.500 team, and even they swept 3 games this weekend from the Rays. 

The WhiteSox losses had held the division under 500 as a whole until the this week -  Central is now 72-68.

And the O's may just have lost Kimbrel.  /. ..pffffffft!.../

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

It looks like they'll make the change back next season according to what I've read

It seems kind of absurd with all the special uni's they do in a year now that they don't have the ability to start slip streaming them in immediately, but of course it would be more obvious to fans that a change was being made to do it in season and that would be more embarrassing for the league, which is the best reason I can think of it's going to be a "wait for the off season" move.

MLBPA's press release made a point to absolve Fanatics in this and point the finger at Nike.  Probably true as what I've read is fanatics just made what Nike told them to make.  But worth mentioning the investment MLBPA has in fanatics and that business relationship.

13 minutes ago, oblong said:

MLBPA's press release made a point to absolve Fanatics in this and point the finger at Nike.  Probably true as what I've read is fanatics just made what Nike told them to make.  But worth mentioning the investment MLBPA has in fanatics and that business relationship.

I blame software.

No... really. In the pre IT era, if you designed a product and it worked, you pretty much left the design alone and as people wore out their old one they would buy a new one and you had steady sales. No problem.

But SW doesn't wear out. So SW writers have to keep churning versions or go broke even if they add nothing useful. Net result is the idea of constant product change just for sake of change is embedded more into American business practice that it should be. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I blame software.

No... really. In the pre IT era, if you designed a product and it worked, you pretty much left the design alone and as people wore out their old one they would buy a new one and you had steady sales. No problem.

But SW doesn't wear out. So SW writers have to keep churning versions or go broke even if they add nothing useful. Net result is the idea of constant product change just for sake of change is embedded more into American business practice that it should be. 

Truth.  that extends to the corporate world as a whole.  Every few years we're "upgrading" to the latest and greatest.  Whether it's HR software platforms or hosting websites or simply where we store our shared files, i.e. shared drives, Sharepoint sites, OneDrive.... it's maddening.  I have files all over the place now and I can't keep up.  I'll spend half a day just cleaning up bookmarks.

It's people just making work for themselves.

• Like 1

I haven't seen much response on Max Scherzer's proposal for "bad umpires". Basically a ranking system for umpires... 

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2024/04/max-scherzer-offers-unique-solution-to-deal-with-mlbs-bottom-umpires.html

Following a rehab start for the Round Rock Express on Wednesday night, the former Tigers’ ace suggested that MLB should use an electronic strike zone to rank umpires.

Then, after review, the worst get sent down to the minors while the best get to stay in the big leagues.

“For me going forward, how I’ve conceptualized what the electronic strike zone should be used is we need to rank the umpires. Let the electronic strike zone rank the umpires, and then we need to have a conversation about the bottom 10 percent or whatever you want to declare what the bottom is and talk about relegating those umpires to the minor leagues and getting the best umpires in the game.” 

“That way that the umpires are going up against themselves. There’s still a human element of how you rank umpires. It’s amongst themselves. Policing the bottom is the way to go. When I’m out there pitching, if you told me I have the 10th best umpire or the 75th best umpire, you don’t really notice much between them because they’re really good at their jobs. The umpires are actually really good. It’s really the bottom umpires we all have a problem with. If there was a mechanism to make the umpires on the bottom better, I think that would be a better to address this.”

I have a feeling the Umpire Union will have something to say about this...

The challenge system is the way to go. I think the problem is that the K zone will get smaller and it will stress pitchers even more and that is probably not something they want to happen. So what do you do to rebalance the game for the pitchers a little if you take away the advantage they now have because hitters are kept guessing by erratic umpires? Or maybe you just let scoring go up. It's happened before. Nothing intrinsically bad about  a 7-6 ball game.

Edited by gehringer_2

Minnesota  - notched its 10th straight win today (courtesy of the Palehose), but Buxton, whose OPS over the win streak is 945, tweaked the same right knee that kept him out half of last season attempting to steal 2nd, and had to leave the game.  

This post is being dropped here, only because it just hit my happy spot when I saw it today. 🙂

Sometimes, tuning in to a baseball game, even if it’s just playing in the background while I’m doing stuff, brings me such a sense of calm. 🤷‍♀️ 

===============================

“[Baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.”

― A. Bartlett Giamatti

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

This post is being dropped here, only because it just hit my happy spot when I saw it today. 🙂

Sometimes, tuning in to a baseball game, even if it’s just playing in the background while I’m doing stuff, brings me such a sense of calm. 🤷‍♀️ 

===============================

“[Baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops.”

― A. Bartlett Giamatti

I have that essay bookmarked.  The way he writes about Bernie Carbo is how I want to be remembered.

• Like 1