2024 MLB Thread

56 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The 2024 Chicago White Sox:

• 3-18 through 21 games (Last in MLB)
  • Averaging 2.15 runs per game (Last in MLB)
  • Allowing 5.55 runs per game (Last in MLB)
  • Team OPS of 0.552 (Last in MLB)
  • Team FIP of 5.10 (Last in MLB)

Is that bad???

The White Sox? No, that’s great! Love it. 

7 hours ago, casimir said:

image.thumb.png.664a1fbdee51a4f8a146d4c92abc60be.png

The 2024 Chicago White Sux.

There's a team every year it seems at the beginning of the year could push the 1962 Mets/2003 Tigers territory.... the Sox will gather some wins, but the relative lack of depth combined with the lack of anything in their farm at the moment gives them the look of a 40-50 win outfit for sure.

Real 2019 Tiger vibes

51 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

There's a team every year it seems at the beginning of the year could push the 1962 Mets/2003 Tigers territory.... the Sox will gather some wins, but the relative lack of depth combined with the lack of anything in their farm at the moment gives them the look of a 40-50 win outfit for sure.

Real 2019 Tiger vibes

considering how the conventional wisdom was that the Sox had a can't miss rebuild in progress pretty recently, this year is quite the crash and burn.

EDIT: I guess the only thing that can be said in the PaleHose defense is that they haven't played a team below 500 yet.

Edited by gehringer_2

12 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Real 2019 Tiger vibes

I was thinking this very thing when my buddy gleefully texted me that the White Sox got shut out AGAIN! That’s happened with the A’s last year when they started out 12-50—remember? They were a lock to lose 120+ games. Of course, they did lose 112, but that just puts them in run-of-the-mill Tigers territory. And they ended up having a better record in June than we did!

Aaron Boone got ejected yesterday by Hunter Wendlestedt, after being given a warning, because he heard a fan behind the dugout, say something immediately after.  On the video you can clearly see and hear it.  Afterwards, in a manner totally in line with the NFL and their officials, Wendlestedt said some nonsense about Boone's responsible for what comes out of his dugout.  Because it's too much to ask for an official to just admit they ****ed up.

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Aaron Boone got ejected yesterday by Hunter Wendlestedt, after being given a warning, because he heard a fan behind the dugout, say something immediately after.  On the video you can clearly see and hear it.  Afterwards, in a manner totally in line with the NFL and their officials, Wendlestedt said some nonsense about Boone's responsible for what comes out of his dugout.  Because it's too much to ask for an official to just admit they ****ed up.

I did sort of like what Hunter said about he'd rather throw out the manager than the wrong player.

On 4/22/2024 at 10:16 AM, 1776 said:

The White Sox? No, that’s great! Love it. 

I’m rooting for the White Sox to beat the Twins right now. I’ll root for them against the Guardians and Royals as well.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I’m rooting for the White Sox to beat the Twins right now. I’ll root for them against the Guardians and Royals as well.

Didn't root hard enough. Twins won it in a walk off single. Sox at 3 - 20. 

Edited by gehringer_2

17 hours ago, oblong said:

That was pretty bad.  I can understand mistaking where the voice was coming from.  I didn't realize Boone had gotten a warning prior to this.  But, it isn't that difficult for the ump or MLB or whomever to simply say, hey, Wendlestedt simply thought the commentary came from the dugout, a warning had been issued, things played out live as they did, but upon review the ejection was a mistake.  Ain't that hard.

As an aside, hey, the fan paid the admission, so he can say whatever he wants to whomever he wants, right?

2 hours ago, casimir said:

As an aside, hey, the fan paid the admission, so he can say whatever he wants to whomever he wants, right?

Theoretically, an umpire can stop the game and demand the ushers eject a fan -  under threat of forfeit, assuming the ump can identify the perp. Can't say as I've ever seen it happen.

Edited by gehringer_2

35 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Theoretically, an umpire can stop the game and demand the ushers eject a fan -  under threat of forfeit, assuming the ump can identify the perp. Can't say as I've ever seen it happen.

They did eject Youppi.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

Just a reminder that baseball is hard. Walker was a top-10 prospect and played well last year but has been lost this year.

Ha! Walker was about the only other position player from the 1st couple of rounds of the 2020 draft beside Torkelson that had done anything.

Edited by gehringer_2

Imagine you're the Giants bullpen catcher and this happens.

Fortunately he caught the ball in the dark, but not a great situation. I imagine some intern may received a stern talking to. (If indeed it was an intern in charge of the lights)

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

Imagine you're the Giants bullpen catcher and this happens.

Fortunately he caught the ball in the dark, but not a great situation. I imagine some intern may received a stern talking to. (If indeed it was an intern in charge of the lights)

I'm lost...what is the spotlight? And why is this the first time he's doing it? Is it some new things the Giants are doing?

55 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

I'm lost...what is the spotlight? And why is this the first time he's doing it? Is it some new things the Giants are doing?

Right - why is this is from Apr 23, the 23rd was Doval's 8th game of the season. His 1st appearance at home was on the 5th.

Edited by gehringer_2

Evidently Monday night was the first time the Giants used the entrance

https://www.mercurynews.com/2024/04/23/sf-giants-new-hollywood-like-lighting-catches-camilo-dovals-attention/

In 10 games at Oracle Park entering Monday, there hadn’t been a reason to showcase the full capabilities of the fancy-schmancy new lighting system installed over the offseason. The LED bulbs and 12 spotlights had sat mostly dormant because there hadn’t been a single save situation for Camilo Doval after dark.

So, even holding a four-run lead Monday night, with Doval set to enter for the top of the ninth, the stadium went dark. A moment later, the ballpark glowed orange. The 24,138 on hand quickly turned their confusion into enthusiasm as the bullpen door swung open and Doval was illuminated by a crosshatch of spotlights.

“I knew they were going to do the light show, but I had no idea it was going to look like that,” Doval said in Spanish through interpreter Erwin Higueros. “It looked like a movie. I mean, like a Hollywood type of thing. I was like, ‘Wow!’”