2024 MLB Thread

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Wow...14,000 seat stadium;

The AAA Giants team plays in this park as well. This should be interesting. 
This is a shame for the A’s. It should never have come to this. 

Grass outfield seats are not an option. When I lived in Tucson and Hank Aaron was playing his last season with the Milwaukee Brewers during spring training, they did the grass outfield seats thing at Hi Corbett field and it was really stupid but OK for one exhibition game. Singles became “ground rule doubles.“ It’s tragic but this is what happens when billionaire oligarchies can do anything they want for any reason and this time it bit them.

IMG_2873.jpeg.2f8f8539078aac8000212df71fa531f5.jpeg

Maybe they should try to play in a football stadium. The Dodgers played at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum for four years while they waited for Dodger Stadium to be completed. Built for football, the stadium was ill-suited for baseball. However, the Dodgers made the best of it. A high screen served as the left field fence to compensate for its extremely short distance from home plate. Wally Moon, who played outfield for the Dodgers, became famous for lifting pop flies known as "Moon shots" over the fence.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 4:11 PM, Sports_Freak said:

Xfinity became too expensive so I went to WOW cable and I stream YahooTV. I really liked it, at first. Now, I discover there's no MLB Netork and that really sucks. Bummer.

Honestly, you're not missing a thing.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

I bought the MLB package. Now, there is always baseball to watch. 😆

That's good, because MLB Network is awful. I mean, even MLB Now with Brian Kenny, which has long been the only show I thought actually worth watching, has declined since Kenny has apparently gotten notes to dial back the data analysis and lean more into shooting from the gut so he can align better with his rotating band of player-beat media sidekicks.

19 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

bad baseball coverage is better then the crap we get on ESPN NFL NFL NFL and guess what NFL

That may be true for some types of coverage, but it is definitely not true when it comes to nightly review of the action. Even part of an ESPN broadcast recapping the day's baseball action beats the hell out of Quick Pitch, ten times out of ten. Unless you have a different priority while watching Quick Pitch, which, I get it, I'm a hetero man, too.

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

That may be true for some types of coverage, but it is definitely not true when it comes to nightly review of the action. Even part of an ESPN broadcast recapping the day's baseball action beats the hell out of Quick Pitch, ten times out of ten. Unless you have a different priority while watching Quick Pitch, which, I get it, I'm a hetero man, too.

I like quick pitch usually background noise  does ESPN even do baseball tonight every night like they use to... im usually in bed to early now

2 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

I like quick pitch usually background noise  does ESPN even do baseball tonight every night like they use to... im usually in bed to early now

I really dislike Quick Pitch because it is not a review or recap show. It is a clip show. They don't talk about teams or pennant races or how that night's games might affect any of that. All it is, is a context-free procession of clip after clip showing home runs and strikeouts, the two most marketable plays in the game. And honestly, I find that just boring.

The show is so clip-oriented that the Quick Pitch bunnies don't even bother to provide a transition from one game to the next. One game's clips ends with a super-imposed final score, the next game's clips being by showing two logos, and then it goes right into a beauty shot of a homer. If it's an overview of the night's games and pennant races you want, Quick Pitch is not the place to get it.

That said, again, if you just put it on for nothing more than background noise of ball-hits-bat and crowd cheers and histrionic announcers, or else to ogle the bunnies, then again, I get that. But I can ogle ladies in literally more than a million other places, and if I want to see homer after homer, there are endless YouTube videos of that, like this or this or this. If I want anchors to provide context to that night's games, I have to go to SportsCenter, because Quick Pitch won't give us that.

I agree I wish there was more analyst type shows at like midnight on MLB Network it is very disappointing. I mean it could be so much better instead we get reruns of naked gun and  and Christopher Russo barking

Edited by Toddwert
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

That's good, because MLB Network is awful. I mean, even MLB Now with Brian Kenny, which has long been the only show I thought actually worth watching, has declined since Kenny has apparently gotten notes to dial back the data analysis and lean more into shooting from the gut so he can align better with his rotating band of player-beat media sidekicks.

It had been a few years, maybe even 7 or 8, since I had MLB Network.  A few weeks ago I got it back and thought it was just me. In the past I could put  it on, a La sports center from my college days, and feel like I got a great idea of what’s going on. Now when I do it I don’t get the same feeling.  I don’t want to watch it intently. I want it on while I am reading or cooking or cleaning or whatever. 

On 4/4/2024 at 4:06 PM, 1776 said:

The AAA Giants team plays in this park as well. This should be interesting. 
This is a shame for the A’s. It should never have come to this. 

The movie Major League in real life.   This sucks.   Oakland actually had good fans (when the team TRIES to win). 

Billy Beane should be ashamed of himself.     I have lost every ounce of respect for him.    

Don't you think that maybe it's time for some sort of legislation to prevent these sports owners from holding teams hostage with the ransom of "build me a stadium or else......"?    

As soon as the Orioles got good again, Angelos was threatening to take them away.   The Brewers and White Sox continue making threats and baseball is considering expansion?  

Tanking for a better draft pick is a good strategy.   Tanking to yank a team away from it's fans is a crime. 

They'll just be called The A's. 

Why not just have them tour the country and play in Salt Lake, Charlotte, San Antonio, Nashville, Indy, Montreal.......get an idea of how the perception for baseball is before considering expansion.  

I believe I saw the other day where the voters voted down public money to be used for a new Kansas City ballpark. Putting these decisions to a public referendum would likely slow the ambitions of these self-serving owners. 

The Oakland thing was a fiasco from the beginning. I really don’t know that there was an honest workable solution there. 

My son and his family lived in the Bay Area for several years and 🙏 moved back East just before the Covid implosion. They went to a lot of games and the kids were all on board as A’s fans! At the time our five year old grandson could name the starting players by position. The guys had A’s gear and posters, etc. We attended a game with the whole gang there in 2019. The park was in sad shape and the area wasn’t appealing at all. 
Primarily because of the kids, I hate seeing the end of the Oakland A’s. 

Edited by 1776

Not baseball, but take a look at the recent goings on in DC with the Caps and the Wizards. Va's Governor made a deal with the owner to move the teams across the river to Alexandria. That raised a bit of an uproar since a large portion of fans live in Maryland. The site was also in a very congested area. 

The state general assembly kills the funding bill and the owners and DC come to agreement within a week or so. 

The General assembly has also been screwing around with the Commanders new stadium location. With the new owner, it will be interesting to see what transpires.

Meanwhile in Richmond, who knows what's happening on the baseball park front.

44 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The Oakland thing was a fiasco from the beginning. I really don’t know that there was an honest workable solution there. 

This is my uneducated impression of it.  There was one or two options for a new stadium in Oakland that seem to have fallen by the wayside a while ago.  Was one of them a “Howard’s Terminal” location or something of that sort?  Whatever.  It seems like that came and went and when there was no traction there, it just kind of felt like a matter of to where else and when rather than staying in Oakland.

How long has Oakland had a poor baseball stadium?  It started with renovating it for the Raiders to come back to town way back when and has just deteriorated since then.  Honest question, will they be able to finish the season there or will they need to play on the road permanently at some point?  The Tigers play there in early September, which seems kind of crazy given the fact that the Athletics are in Detroit now.  Might those games end up in Sacramento (the River Cats are on the road that week), San Jose (on the road), or elsewhere?

Edited by casimir