2024 MLB Thread

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don’t know. I mean, based on all of our histories with baseball for the last half century or so, we all see that as perfectly cricket. But they did explicitly make a rule to ban slides exactly like that, and Hoskins broke that ban. On the video I heard Darling says he thought it was a clean slide, but he’s in his 60s, too, so he might not have internalized the memo completely yet.

Hoskins did make McNeil’s knee buckle, so a serious injury could have ensued. And McNeil restricted his encounter with Hoskins to yelling, and Hoskins just trotted away like nothing happened, and didn’t reply to McNeil until he was 50 or so feet away. That’s a very 2024 thing to happen.

They reviewed it and called it a clean slide. Isn’t the rule also that the runner has to make an attempted slide? Kind of a catch 22 there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

McNeil from the Mets.  You're supposed to get the ball and get out of the way.   Don't blame Hoskins on that. 

It wouldn't hurt to add a video of what you're barking about.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

But they did explicitly make a rule to ban slides exactly like that, and Hoskins broke that ban. On the video I heard Darling says he thought it was a clean slide, but he’s in his 60s, too, so he might not have internalized the memo completely yet.

Hoskins did slide directly to the bag and even managed to stay on it despite his overslide which I think is what the rule requires. A slide toward the 2B that does not get you directly to the bag would be a violation, but Hoskins didn't do that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

They reviewed it and called it a clean slide. Isn’t the rule also that the runner has to make an attempted slide? Kind of a catch 22 there.

I guess that's right. As I re-read the slide rule ...

When sliding into a base in an attempt to break up a double play, a runner has to make a "bona fide slide." Such is defined as the runner making contact with the ground before reaching the base, being able to reach the base with a hand or foot, being able to remain on the base at the completion of the slide (except at home plate) and not changing his path for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder. The slide rule prohibits runners from using a "roll block" or attempting to initiate contact with the fielder by elevating and kicking his leg above the fielder's knee, throwing his arm or his upper body or grabbing the fielder. When a violation of the slide rule occurs, the offending runner and the batter-runner will be called out.

Accidental contact can occur in the course of a permissible slide, and a runner will not be called for interference if contact is caused by a fielder being in the runner's legal pathway to the base.

... it doesn't appear to ban straight-on contact even if apparently intentional, which I thought I walked away believing it did after I read the rule the first time, so it appears that it was McNeil's responsibility to avoid Hoskins. Maybe McNeil himself misunderstood the rule and thought Hoskins had to avoid all contact.

I wonder what happens when someone makes a legal slide within the letter of the law and ends up tearing a shortstop's ACL in the process. It's gonna happen, and it's gonna be interesting.

35 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wonder what happens when someone makes a legal slide within the letter of the law and ends up tearing a shortstop's ACL in the process. It's gonna happen, and it's gonna be interesting.

Reminds me of the unintentional rule in the NFL that causes ACL injuries due to legal hits. See TJ Hockenson Kirby Joseph.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

This is brutal with two strikes and two outs.   

Not even a breaking ball or near the margins. That why they need to bring in the challenge system. In Dreckman's defense he may have blinked or coughed, whatever - everyone is human - but there is no need for the team to be cost a game because of it. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, TJ Rollercoaster said:

Jays just got no-hit by Ronel Blanco of Houston - a 30 year old reliever making just his 8th start of his career

That’s what modern pitch-shaping can lead to.

20 hours ago, oblong said:

Definitely the first time seeing something like this, them asking for anybody to coach first base brings me back to my High School days where we didn't have a full time 1st base coach so whomever made the last out the previous inning had to do it. Needless to say I was "coaching" first base alot cause of that. 

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Considering how injury prone Buxton has been in his career I'm surprised it didn't hit him and take him out for the year. 

If I'm the Twins' front office and Buxton hits the IL because of a costumed weenie, I'm looking for draft compensation.

22 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Definitely the first time seeing something like this, them asking for anybody to coach first base brings me back to my High School days where we didn't have a full time 1st base coach so whomever made the last out the previous inning had to do it. Needless to say I was "coaching" first base alot cause of that. 

Listening to the whole story, it was the coaches inability to find the right helmet. MLB has been making coaches wear hard type helmets for safety.

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Listening to the whole story, it was the coaches inability to find the right helmet. MLB has been making coaches wear hard type helmets for safety.

You would think something like that would be attended to well before the game not in the 8th inning of the second home series.

Horrible franchise, If I still lived there it would be enough to make me a Kane County fan

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

You would think something like that would be attended to well before the game not in the 8th inning of the second home series.

Horrible franchise, If I still lived there it would be enough to make me a Kane County fan

Or a Cubs fan. My DIL-to-be works for the Cubbies...