4/14/24 1:40 PM Twins @ Tigers

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I'll never understand being angry after a win, I'll leave it at that 

Hasn’t one of the legitimate complaints about this team been the fact that they do not capitalize on enough opportunities?  They did in the 8th today.  They need to do it more often, but maybe that’s a by a bit of failing before having baseball consistent success?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Exactly so why did Hinch take him out of sn extra inning game for Croquet legs ?

I don’t recall exactly, but didn’t Urshela leave the game via a PR or PH?  Pretty sure it wasn’t via defensive replacement.

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Who's angry? I'm just not that impressed at our offense. We held them with our pitching which allowed us to squeak out a win.

Other teams say that too when they get held by pitching. It’s baseball. Pitching often wins the battle. 

Small sample size but I was looking at the team stats on the Tigers site and the hitting has been bad. Ranking around 25 in most categories.

The pitching ranks high. 5th in ERA, 1st in WHIP and AVG but then I checked Fangraphs and the pitching looks much worse according to advanced stats. The pitchers have the lowest BABIP in baseball. This team would be significantly worse if those stats even out over time.

They have been elite on defense. Best in the Majors.  The defense has probably bailed out the pitching quite a few times already this season.

19 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Small sample size but I was looking at the team stats on the Tigers site and the hitting has been bad. Ranking around 25 in most categories.

The pitching ranks high. 5th in ERA, 1st in WHIP and AVG but then I checked Fangraphs and the pitching looks much worse according to advanced stats. The pitchers have the lowest BABIP in baseball. This team would be significantly worse if those stats even out over time.

They have been elite on defense. Best in the Majors.  The defense has probably bailed out the pitching quite a few times already this season.

Elite on defense and low BABIP are directly related. Just goes to prove the axiom that a lot of pitching is actually fielding. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Elite on defense and low BABIP are directly related. Just goes to prove the axiom that a lot of pitching is actually fielding. 

Pitcher skill and defense are part of it but so is luck. Detroit was fifth in BABIP last year, but middle of the pack overall for pitching and fielding. Now their fielding looks much improved, so far, but if the hitting and pitching continue as they have, their luck might run out.

Fans do this thing where they ignore the fact  that the other team wants to win too.  Teams will win games they should lose and lose games and hey should win fans ignore the former and just assume it was their awesome grittiness that won the game and win that establishes the baseline.  The Tigers are on pace for 97 wins.  Did you and do you expect to win that many?  Just enjoy the ride man. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

Or, he might have fractured 15 bones in his body all at once on that one play.

Correa may or may not have made they play, the Kelly hit looked fairly legit in real time, that's not an easy play to make at all. Statcast has it as a 0.510 xBA as well. 

Mark Canha's double I can see more of an argument for needing to be made, but even there, watching the replay this morning, I wouldn't assume that a double play gets turned there because of Riley Greene's speed going between first and second and how quickly he would have needed to get the ball over to second. 

I guess if we are playing that game too, Javy Baez "only" hit that home run because Theilbar sequences his pitches poorly? Or didn't quite get the location right on on his sweeper? Or _________?

The made less mistakes than the other guys and they were able to capitalize on the mistakes that the other team did make and won. A lot of baseball games in this league are won in this way.

8 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Pitcher skill and defense are part of it but so is luck. Detroit was fifth in BABIP last year, but middle of the pack overall for pitching and fielding. Now their fielding looks much improved, so far, but if the hitting and pitching continue as they have, their luck might run out.

I agree that luck matters, but a good foundation can help you make your own luck, and I think we’re going in the right direction.

They need Tork and Meadows not to be historically terrible, and the catchers to revert to their numbers. That should improve things incrementally....Baez is what he is..El Adam Everett.

11 minutes ago, kdog said:

They need Tork and Meadows not to be historically terrible, and the catchers to revert to their numbers. That should improve things incrementally....Baez is what he is..El Adam Everett.

Difference being that people liked Adam Everett. 

19 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

You know, this team is starting to remind me of the 1968 Tigers with all of their come from behind wins.

1st need for come-from-behinds is a strong BP so leads don't grow. In '68 you Hiller and Dobson working as swing men, and Daryl Patterson, all with with strong relief performances that year. This years BP has also been very good with the exception of Lange -  who I'm going to guess gets maybe 2 more tries to straighten out.

3 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

The problem with Lange is when he misses it’s by such a wide margin there isn’t any temptation to swing. 

Lange has to throw the FB for strikes because the curve is supposed to get there out of the zone. But a hard two seam fastball can be a treacherous weapon. It's a good pitch because it moves erratically, but that also means some days just by random chance it's going to happen that you throw a bunch of them and none land for strikes. Then the problem just snowballs as you start trying to aim the ball, which inevitably results in a batting practice pitch that ends up in the seats. It was happening to Foley yesterday, but he landed enough strikes to fight through it without giving in.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Lange has to throw the FB for strikes because the curve is supposed to get there out of the zone. But a hard two seam fastball can be a treacherous weapon. It's a good pitch because it moves erratically, but that also means some days just by random chance it's going to happen that you throw a bunch of them and none land for strikes. Then the problem just snowballs as you start trying to aim the ball, which inevitably results in a batting practice pitch that ends up in the seats. It was happening to Foley yesterday, but he landed enough strikes to fight through it without giving in.

Do you think Lange can right himself? He was doing so well last year for a long time and it seems overnight Hyde showed up!

2 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Do you think Lange can right himself? He was doing so well last year for a long time and it seems overnight Hyde showed up!

Alex Lange is always going to be the Little Girl with the Little Curl. 

18 hours ago, chasfh said:

Yup, I have long felt that fielding was underrated, especially in a park with a big outfield.