4/15/2024 9:30 ET The People of New York State's Supreme Court vs. Donald J. Trump and the Republican Party

romad1

From CNN's live tracker.  I don't believe this for a second given that he fell asleep. 

9 min ago

Trump's decision to attend sidebars signals he is highly involved with his defense, correspondents say

From CNN's Elise Hammond

Donald Trump’s decision to attend sidebars with the judge and attorneys as jury selection in the hush money trial against him gets underway suggests the former president is very involved in his defense, CNN correspondents say.

“It’s a statement that suggests he's involved. The stakes are high here,” CNN chief legal affairs correspondent Paula Reid said. “So his legal team would likely tell you this shows that he's invested, he understands that this is serious.”

Attorney Todd Blanche said earlier that Trump wants to attend every conference, including side conferences during jury selection.

That means Trump will be “eye-to-eye with these potential jurors, in close proximity, as they answer questions,” many of them about the former president that could signal their political views, CNN correspondent Kara Scannell said.

Trump’s involvement has been a focal point of his legal strategy not just in this courtroom, but in the months leading up to the trial when his lawyers worked to delay the proceedings, CNN correspondent Phil Mattingly added.

Hey, so question about the longevity of this trial...I think i'll just keep this thread for trial stuff for the Alvin Bragg things...even though it is done up like a GDT.   I was thinking about adding another for tomorrow and that just seemed exhausting. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Just wondering how jury selection is conducted in NYC. Are both sides limited to the number of jurors they can select or is Trump's strategy to reject everyone and hope for a mistrial.

My response post I just did got lost.

I understand that they already did a huge hatchet job on the pool.  I might have misheard though.  But we are likely to get 20 of the least informed new yorkers or at least people who claim they are.

here is this detail from CNN:

Another panel of potential jurors will be brought in tomorrow

After they finish questioning the 18 potential jurors who are in the box and the 16 others who are still in the room as part of the first jury pool, another panel of potential jurors will be brought in tomorrow, Judge Juan Merchan said.

Court is expected to go until 4:30 p.m. ET today.