4/15/2024 9:30 ET The People of New York State's Supreme Court vs. Donald J. Trump and the Republican Party

romad1

I love how the thinks he gets special rights of a legal system that agrees with him politically, including families of people in the legal system who aren't actually involved at all.   

Interesting two tier justice system he keeps complaining about.  No one else gets that. 

Edited by pfife

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

Jail him

I think Trump would like to be sentenced to jail—not that he wants to actually go, because even if sentenced he still might not (SCOTUS to the rescue!), but he wants the world to see Merchan pull the trigger on it. it would play beautifully into his victim-of-the-deep-state narrative, and I would be concerned that even independents might be swayed in his direction by that. Not least of all, I wonder whether his being sentenced for contempt would become the big issue at hand and they would have to delay the actual illegal campaign contribution trial further to litigate that.

So, careful with that axe, Eugene ...

Edited by chasfh

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think Trump would like to be sentenced to jail—not that he wants to actually go, because even if sentenced he still might not (SCOTUS to the rescue!), but he wants the world to see Merchan pull the trigger on it. it would play beautifully into his victim-of-the-deep-state narrative, and I would be concerned that even independents might be swayed in his direction by that. Not least of all, I wonder whether his being sentenced for contempt would become the big issue at hand and they would have to delay the actual illegal campaign contribution trial further to litigate that.

So, careful with that axe, Eugene ...

The axe forgets, the tree remembers.   

That said:  screw this guy.  He needs to feel whatever penalty the rump system can give him before his minions take over forever and stomp on the face of every person who isn't pretty, white and rich. 

Edited by romad1
  • Thanks 1

To people who don't pay attention closely, I can see how they can't keep track of all these trials he's facing.  I'm seeing names from a lifetime ago pop up again, COhen, Stormy, Avanetti.... I can't follow along.

And it needs to be blasted that this is the first criminal trial for a former POTUS.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, oblong said:

To people who don't pay attention closely, I can see how they can't keep track of all these trials he's facing.  I'm seeing names from a lifetime ago pop up again, COhen, Stormy, Avanetti.... I can't follow along.

And it needs to be blasted that this is the first criminal trial for a former POTUS.

and that he earned it 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

and if you want to go take a nod to Constitutional originalism, I'm sure the founders never supposed that in the rural and small town continental communities of their new nation, you would be particularly likely to find jurors who didn't know  or had never heard of the defendents they would have to sit in judgement of. That should never be a criteria for a fair jury.

• Like 2

Several years ago my wife was called for jury duty. It was a civil case. Because of the nature of her profession, she told the judge that she knew the attorneys for both parties and didn't have a favorable opinion of either one.

She didn't serve 

Looks like Trump will be found not guilty.

This is the jury foreperson:

• A man who lives in West Harlem and works in sales. He is married, likes to do "anything outdoorsy," and gets news from The New York Times, Fox News and MSNBC.

I know of no such person that watches both Fox and MSNBC.

MSNBC to a Fox viewer is like sunlight to a vampire.

this might be part of the problem with jurors

Trump campaign spokesperson and ally are in court today

Trump ally Jason Miller and Trump campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung are seated inside the courtroom, according to reports from journalists in court.

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

this might be part of the problem with jurors

Trump campaign spokesperson and ally are in court today

Trump ally Jason Miller and Trump campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung are seated inside the courtroom, according to reports from journalists in court.

From what I've been following the one dismissed today had second thoughts after the press published her place of employment and the fact she had an Irish accent. She received blowback from friends.

Unless an already chosen member can be automatically sequestered this could be problematic.