Detroit Rock City Lions @ Cleveland Rocks Browns in a Rock N Roll Showdown for the ages !

Motor City Sonics

16 minutes ago, buddha said:

jim brown is the greatest rb of all time.

Jim Brown was a man playing among boys. You'll never see that kind of skill and strength disparity again because the level of athleticism is so much higher across the board in pro football ( and pro sports in general), than it was in Brown's day. A day when half the players in the league were still working summer jobs.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Jim Brown was a man playing among boys. You'll never see that kind of skill and strength disparity again because the level of athleticism is so much higher across the board in pro football ( and pro sports in general), than it was in Brown's day. A day when half the players in the league were still working summer jobs.

the modern day equivalent of jim brown would be ray lewis playing running back and going for 6 yards a carry.  jim brown was as big as a linebacker and fast.  

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

Someone was on my case the other day for suggesting the Lions could have come into the season with a better backup. :classic_tongue:

no, someone was on your case for saying you should PAY a better backup.

you can find a better backup than david blough or tim boyle for cheap.

• Like 1

Just now, buddha said:

no, someone was on your case for saying you should PAY a better backup.

you can find a better backup than david blough or tim boyle for cheap.

how cheap does he have to be? I really don't follow the arg anyway since the complaint was what they paid the guy last year, who isn't here this year. How much of your team salary allotment are two or three wins worth? In baseball they actually hang numbers on that - I guess not so much in football. Of course the standard disclaimer applies regarding whether they came into this season caring about wins..

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And nobody is giving Michigan State credit for tying Ohio State in the second half yesterday.  Buncha Debbie Downers. 

LOL - I was bummed when OSU scored that last TD because I wouldn't be able to tell people that MSU had won the second half.

Edited by gehringer_2

Definitively a dumb penalty, but it doesn’t make sense to add the headline of “cost the team big time.”   Lions went 3 and out after the penalty, then the browns immediately threw an interception giving the lions better field position.  At the time it certainly seemed like it would be costly,  but turned out it wasn’t.

The lions ran zero plays in Cleveland territory when they started with the ball on their own side of the field.  That’s hard to do.  

Edited by TP_Fan

Every other team now has at least 2 wins. Texans with similar talent.   This team has had chances to win, but Campbell has held them back with his conservative play calling.  4th and 1 at the opponent 25, chance to take the lead with a TD. Instead he chickens out and kicks it.  Next, and last time, the lions got the ball Campbell ran a draw play on 3rd and 14, conceding the punt.   Never touched it again.  He then defends himself by saying he was protecting his QB.  What a damn moron we have as a coach. 

Edited by TP_Fan

1 hour ago, TP_Fan said:

Every other team now has at least 2 wins. Texans with similar talent.   This team has had chances to win, but Campbell has held them back with his conservative play calling.  4th and 1 at the opponent 25, chance to take the lead with a TD. Instead he chickens out and kicks it.  Next, and last time, the lions got the ball Campbell ran a draw play on 3rd and 14, conceding the punt.   Never touched it again.  He then defends himself by saying he was protecting his QB.  What a damn moron we have as a coach. 

Why does it matter? I'm sure if we are sitting with more talent and still little to no results two or three years from now, Campbell will be replaced. I just don't really care right now if Campbell's, or Lynn's, or whoever's play calling is too conservative. Or too aggressive. The team they're leading is going out there and competing punch for punch with teams they are grossly outmatched talent-wise. I can't complain after tying a fringe playoff team one week and then losing by 3 to another the next week.

Not directed at you TP, but I also feel like a lot of people who are upset with Campbell for one thing or another right now would be the same people with their panties in a bunch if we strung together two or three wins late in the season and wind up with the #2 or #3 pick instead of #1.

11 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Why does it matter? I'm sure if we are sitting with more talent and still little to no results two or three years from now, Campbell will be replaced. I just don't really care right now if Campbell's, or Lynn's, or whoever's play calling is too conservative. Or too aggressive. The team they're leading is going out there and competing punch for punch with teams they are grossly outmatched talent-wise. I can't complain after tying a fringe playoff team one week and then losing by 3 to another the next week.

Not directed at you TP, but I also feel like a lot of people who are upset with Campbell for one thing or another right now would be the same people with their panties in a bunch if we strung together two or three wins late in the season and wind up with the #2 or #3 pick instead of #1.

This is a very good post....especially the last part.

I am so far not impressed by a new HC who "fires" his new OC from play calling only to pull out the most conservative offense imaginable.  I suppose it makes sense for a team with zero skills/talent.  That's on Holmes primarily.

OTOH, Campbell should not be judged on W/L at this point.

However, I do expect to see clear evidence at some point that he has a program and approach that will translate to a talented roster. 

Is he a great motivator of talent?  We have seen signs of this with competitive games where you would have expected a large margin of defeat....

.....but then there's the Philly game.  

Campbell seems more like a bread-and-butter HC with a great personality than an innovative guy.

Despite my reservations, I'm fine with Campbell for now and for next year. 

Also, as we all know, the Lions' HC position is a graveyard, at least for guys who want to succeed as a HC.  It is well known that a stint here has only led to success as OC/DC with other teams or oblivion in the past....we have never seen a HC succeed here and/or elsewhere.  Will Campbell be the first in modern Lions' history?  Let's hope, but I don't have high hopes.

In any case Holmes is the one who needs to really get the job done or the HC debate is moot.

I don't understand how anybody could blame the coaching staff, has Campbell been perfect in his in game decisions? No not at all but we all knew going into things that probably wasn't going to be his strength, particularly his first season at the helm but in game decisions is only one facet of being a head coach. 

The fact that this team has been competitive in most weeks despite having far and away the least amount of talent in the NFL suggests that the players respect him and are willing to lay everything out for him. Coming into the season most thought they would probably have 2 or 3 wins by this point, but that was assuming Goff was atleast competent, Okudah took a step forward and we wouldn't have had the amount of injuries we've had.

If we knew Goff wouldn't be able to complete a pass more than 15 yards and would be the worst starting QB in the league, Okudah would get injured the first game, Decker would miss all but 1 game, Ragnow would miss all but 2 and our lone good pass rusher Romeo Okwara would miss all but 4 games I think most would have said that we would be hard pressed to win 1 game by this point.  Again this team not only should be losing every game but they should be getting blown out like what happened against Philly, that's how different the talent levels are but that isn't happening and to me the coaching staff deserves alot of credit for that.