#23 Ohio Skool of Dishwashing and Playing with Oneself (in best schools for veterans) at #8 Michigan (in best schools for veterans).

romad1

Myself and a lot of fans have laid it on thick with our criticisms of Harbaugh and things he has done on and off the field over the years. One thing I want to give him major props for though is bringing in Mike McDonald this year as his new Defensive Coordinator. McDonald has transformed this defense and it showed today with big stops and dominating up front. McDonald is a complete 180 from Don Brown and his defensive production and national rankings is showing us the significant changes.

34 minutes ago, romad1 said:

So, "Hang a hundred" and "born on third base" are going to be the memorable phrases from potential start to a new 10 year war.

I don't know if it was good or bad to see Harbaugh at his old weird self in that post game. He jumped up and walked out on the rest of the presser immediately after he said that BTW.

12 hours ago, romad1 said:

For a famous alumn, All American, and National Champion.

My dad would have enjoyed this game, had he been alive to see it. He went to Michigan and having played OL in high school, he went out for the squad. Some guy named Ford was the obviously better player and my dad was promoted to team fan for life. Over eighty years ago.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know if it was good or bad to see Harbaugh at his old weird self in that post game. He jumped up and walked out on the rest of the presser immediately after he said that BTW.

it was innocuously delivered and guaranteed to create an impact 

1 hour ago, romad1 said:

it was innocuously delivered and guaranteed to create an impact 

good.  fuck ryan day and ohio state.  they've had 20 years of shit talking and they backed it up and won almost every game.

this time they lost.  now they can sit and take some shit talking from michigan for a change.

watching the game on replay, the offensive line obviously stands out.  they dominated ohio state.  and ohio state's defensive weakness at linebacker came back to haunt them.  they couldnt plug holes, get off blocks, or stop haskins.

on defense michigan's tackling stood out to me.  they kept ohio state's skill players in front of them and tackled them.  they made ohio state take their time and go all the way down the field.  not many huge plays or quick strikes.  

iowa will be the complete opposite type of challenge.

17 minutes ago, buddha said:

watching the game on replay, the offensive line obviously stands out.  they dominated ohio state.  and ohio state's defensive weakness at linebacker came back to haunt them.  they couldnt plug holes, get off blocks, or stop haskins.

on defense michigan's tackling stood out to me.  they kept ohio state's skill players in front of them and tackled them.  they made ohio state take their time and go all the way down the field.  not many huge plays or quick strikes.  

iowa will be the complete opposite type of challenge.

OSU had had a good match all year with their O and D. Their pass D is much better than their run D, but since their O was good enough to get out to leads against other teams, they didn't face too much determined running all year. That's been their MO under Day for a while now. Michigan ended up the nightmare matchup for them exactly because the pass rush made it just hard enough for their passing game that they couldn't ever put M out of the run game. You might even think Harbaugh and MacDonald sat down and thought about how to build a team to beat them........

It was interesting to watch OSU's linebacker alignment. They started narrowing their sets and then at one point M gashed them for two consecutive outside runs, first one side (Corum's first touch I think)  then they came right back to the other side and beat them around it as well. After that OSU generally kept the OLBs wider and just reigned themselves to trying to keep M running to the middle as the lesser evil.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

I think Michigan won for many of the reasons that we identified pregame as ways that Michigan could pull off the upset (but wouldn't allow ourselves to believe it possible)... They generated pressure consistently, kept Stroud from getting comfortable, the secondary kept up with Ohio State's wideouts (other than a few other-worldly plays), and the offense executed nearly flawlessly.

Beyond that though, something I don't think many saw coming (though maybe we should have), Harbaugh and his staff clearly out-coached Day and his staff. Harbaugh was prepared with an excellent game plan, did not deviate when it got touch-and-go early, and along with Gattis and McDonald executed it consistently from the opening snap to the final kneel... Day looked surprised, out of his element, and at times confusingly conservative. Michigan was in the driver's seat for all but maybe one drive of that game.

17 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I don't think a 2-loss Alabama beats out a 2-loss Michigan. If Georgia wins, the only way Michigan misses the playoffs I think would be if Cincy, ND and one of Oklahoma/Oklahoma St. wins out. If Michigan beats Iowa they will go into the playoff at #2, with the Georgia/Bama winner #1.

right. So it breaks nicely for UM to get to the title game if they beat Iowa as they won't have to face Georgia ( who the odds seem to be will handle Alabama) till then. 

Edited by gehringer_2

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

right. So it breaks nicely for UM to get to the title game if they beat Iowa as they won't have to face Georgia ( who the odds seem to be will handle Alabama) till then. 

Yep, everything is breaking perfectly for Michigan. I would glad take a Cincy or Oklahoma State semi. Problem would be Georgia getting upset, because I think Bama would rise to #1, Michigan-Georgia would be the next two, and Cincy or Oklahoma State would be #4. 

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

Saturday was possibly the closest thing to a Berlin Wall moment i’ve seen occur in Michigan. What else qualifies?     

Obama’s 2008 for African Americans?

Reminded me of the cathartic feeling of the Wings knocking out the Avs on the way to the ‘97 Cup. 

Edited by lordstanley
  • Like 1