5/14/24 6:40PM Marlins @ Tigers

I just don’t get how someone can immediately fall off that quickly and steeply,  at the age of 30. Is he just unwilling to make changes? Did his vision go bad? It’s not like pitchers wouldn’t know that he could just get himself out on low and away breaking pitch and very single time until the last few years. 

How long do the Tigers wait before they eat tens of millions? It definitely looks like a sunken cost at this point. 

MLB signed a deal for the early Sunday games on Roku:

Bottom line: The Roku MLB games will not only be free, watching them will not require you to purchase a device. That is, unless you currently don’t have something that can access the Internet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/do-you-need-a-roku-to-watch-rokus-sunday-baseball/ar-BB1mlQcc?disableErrorRedirect=true&infiniteContentCount=0&ocid=socialshare

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

I just don’t get how someone can immediately fall off that quickly and steeply,  at the age of 30. Is he just unwilling to make changes? Did his vision go bad? It’s not like pitchers wouldn’t know that he could just get himself out on low and away breaking pitch and very single time until the last few years. 

How long do the Tigers wait before they eat tens of millions? It definitely looks like a sunken cost at this point. 

The Tigers only other SS options are just as bad on offense. And much worse on defense. Is there any teams out there that has a ML ready SS in the minors who's blocked at the ML level that needs pitching? We'll give them a choice or Manning, Mize or Flaherty. Olson and Skubal (and Jobe) should all be untouchable.

With the pitch clock speeding up games, this 6:40 start time is way too early. These games being over by 9 PM suck. And a morning Sunday game? I hope the stadium is empty and nobody watches. It's just a huge money grab, just like those horrible uniforms.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

It's quite possible that the Tigers approach to hitting can't work for Javy and on the wrong side of 30 he can't change - so he's is caught between trying to be a good trooper and do what his coaches want him to do because they think it will help him, and the fact that he's a pure reaction hitter and has to just clear his head and swing away. Plus the reality that with that long swing he may have been doomed at 30 anyway as soon as he lost a few milliseconds off his reaction time, whether he wants to change or not.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's quite possible that the Tigers approach to hitting can't work for Javy and on the wrong side of 30 he can't change - so he's is caught between trying to be a good trooper and do what his coaches want him to do because they think it will help him, and the fact that he's a pure reaction hitter and has to just clear his head and swing away. Plus the reality that with that long swing he may have been doomed at 30 anyway as soon as he lost a few milliseconds off his reaction time, whether he wants to change or not.

I thought I never saw anyone swing as hard as Javy but then I saw Josh Bell last night. A LH Javy...only a much bigger guy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

The Tigers only other SS options are just as bad on offense. And much worse on defense. Is there any teams out there that has a ML ready SS in the minors who's blocked at the ML level that needs pitching? We'll give them a choice or Manning, Mize or Flaherty. Olson and Skubal (and Jobe) should all be untouchable.

The Tigers will not eat Baez contract for at least two more years.
But if they were willing to act on Baez, the Tampa Bay Rays have Junior Caminero, their #1 prospect in Durham. He’s primarily a SS but plays third as well. At AA the Rays have Carson Williams, their #2 prospect. He is also primarily a SS but will also play at 3B. 
Assuming Wander Franco is out of the picture, I believe Caminero will be their opening day starter at SS or 3B next year and will likely go up the second half of this year. 
Neither of these guys would come cheap. It would take a Jackson Jobe plus to get Caminero but I’d do it today. Caminero is 20 yrs of age. 
The Rays starting SS is Jose Cabellero who they got in exchange for Luke Raley in January. The Rays know baseball. 

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

With the pitch clock speeding up games, this 6:40 start time is way too early. These games being over by 9 PM suck. And a morning Sunday game? I hope the stadium is empty and nobody watches. It's just a huge money grab, just like those horrible uniforms.

I personally don't understand the 6:40 start, either.  It's not like there aren't a bunch of people coming in from the suburbs.  The extra 20 minutes to get into the park made a big difference.

• Like 1

Is the 6:40 PM start a nod to parents with children inducing them to go to games on school nights in the hopes of generating a love of baseball with the next generation? Now that games aren’t routinely 3 1/2 to 4 hours long, part of that resistance to bringing a child to a game has been circumvented. Maybe it has something to do with making the most of daylight?

4 hours ago, Tigermojo said:

Can we fix Javy's swing now? We have the technology.

Javy Baez, shortstop. A man barely alive. We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster ...

javy-baez-sister-jean.gif.74bdc741c2b026f388e689c063ceafb2.gif

Ehhhhh, maybe not so much ...

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Javy Baez, shortstop. A man barely alive. We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better, stronger, faster ...

javy-baez-sister-jean.gif.74bdc741c2b026f388e689c063ceafb2.gif

Ehhhhh, maybe not so much ...

I think there is more hope that sister Jean can hit

13 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Is the 6:40 PM start a nod to parents with children inducing them to go to games on school nights in the hopes of generating a love of baseball with the next generation? Now that games aren’t routinely 3 1/2 to 4 hours long, part of that resistance to bringing a child to a game has been circumvented. Maybe it has something to do with making the most of daylight?

The cynic in me is they don’t want you eating out before the game.   They used to do it in April and Sept for midweek games. That was because of weather.  

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Brooks lee in the Twins organization, but they would never trade him here, and we would never trade any of our rotation there.

Luisangel Acuna with the Mets can play short, but with Lindor there he's been getting reps at second. he's super young and cheap, but his bat in AAA is barely any better than Javy's bat up here

Bottom line seems to be, if you're looking for a quick fix that gets us a better bat with similar glove who is cheap and young, good luck.

FWIW, I love 6:40pm starts, and I wish the Cubs would keep them all year instead of switching to 7:05pm between Memorial and Labor days. Weirdly, to me anyway, the White Sox do the same thing except to have 7:10pm starts during the summer. I wonder whether any other team in the majors does this?

I have the radio package and I’m out of town up in the mountains a couple hours away from home and I guess the radio app is confused. I’m not getting any real ads only MLB history pieces and public service announcements. Kind of weird. 

2 hours ago, theroundsquare said:

I personally don't understand the 6:40 start, either.  It's not like there aren't a bunch of people coming in from the suburbs.  The extra 20 minutes to get into the park made a big difference.

I think it's more of a money grab. No time for dinner at home? Oh...we have ALL kinds of food here. Just bring your credit card.